What do u guys use for DI guitars?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mrt, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mrt

mrt Member

Basically my question is...

What are u using for direct guitar sounds. My pod hd isn't cutting it any more. Is there anything else I can do with out getting a axe fx?

2. dbun

dbun Member

Look at the Torpedo CAB stuff.

The downfall of the Line 6 stuff is their cab modeling; it just sucks.
    Their amp modeling is actually quite good.

If you disable the cab modeling on the Line 6 stuff and run their amp models through a good IR sim the improvement is significant.

3. mrt

mrt Member

Ok I just picked up a ada cab sim. Maybe that'll be better then the line-6 ? I'll try it. If not I'll look into the torpedo stuff.

4. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Don't know if it's the same guy, but someone here had an issue with the Pod HD cabs, and a product manager said he actually visited the guy, tweaked a few parameters and the guy said he thought it sounded much better. The HD series can be confusing. Amp and Cab DEP settings can mess up the sound/feel if you don't really grasp how to use them. Some have mentioned clipping internal FX blocks when straying too far from unity gain in the signal path. Some FX are less forgiving in that manner. It's also best to choose auto input Z, so vintage pedals sound right when placed at the front of a path. There's also a phase issue that can occur with FX chains when two paths are used. That can be fixed by adding a delay in one path. Perhaps they will address that in an update. Finally, it's important to understand which knob is the amp gain and which is the output. You want to make sure you use amp rather than preamp models, turn the Amp DEP Master up high to get a more natural S-Curve gain compression & response, and use 12 O'clock as a reference center for the Amp output level. Also pay attention to how the attack sounds. It can sound more crisp or elastic with certain amps. You can drive it with the output of any effect block placed right before the amp. Make sure you don't clip the input or output of the unit either. -12 dB peaks at the output have been recommended by an experienced user. I'd think you could go up to -6dB though without fear of clipping. You can use an external meter in a DAW or mixer with its input set to nominal gain to check it. Use a full dynamic clean sound like a Fender Twin as a loudness reference point for all your presets. Here's the link to the product manager I mentioned: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=19351755&postcount=37

Here's the info about dual cab phase issues and what to do: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/cabsMics#dualCabLotta
    Lots of good pointers on the site. Not sure all the post cab eq is necessary if you get the mic settings and room ambiance right for each preset. Dual amp/cab combinations are difficult to get right, even without phase issues. It requires a good understanding of the tone and resonance character for each model used. That takes time and focused listening i.e. focus on listening specifically to the highs, mids and bass of each model you use rather than listening to the spectrum as a whole. Also, use your reference clean amp preset to compare loudness and tonal balance for each new preset. You may not run into this, but using the Cab DEP Bass Cut can actually give the sound more punch. Less Resonance and more Thump might then do the trick. The Decay knob smooths the upper-mids out via reducing the speaker damping. Sound tends to get muddy in the ~250-400Hz range, cutting the Cab resonance may help with that. It depends on the intended character and application. Loose bassy guitar sounds would muddy up a dense mix, but can sound great in a classic power trio setting. This is how audio engineers would approach all this, and how they manage to create good mixes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. mojah

mojah Member

11R.... Blew away my pod HD500. And I tried the resonance deep edit trick. The HD still sucked.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the Fryette Valvulator GP/DI to drop. If it's as good as the Power Station and lives up to the reviews posted by the few that have tried one, it's a winner at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

One of these with a Fractal FX8 should be outstanding.

Here's the rear shot…

[​IMG]

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

I use a behringer tube amp modeling pedal at the end of my chain if I HAVE to go direct.
    I say this because there are a million options out there and I on have the income to buy them all. Keep an open mind.

8. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Whats your budget?

9. Promit

Promit Member

I'm using the Eleven Rack. Does some things better than others - high gain probably being the weak point - but i's very affordable and I like it better than the Pod HD overall.

10. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Buried in that monster Line6 NAMM thread is something you want to check into before shelling out another $500 for an external IR loader.

Go into the cab deep edit parameters and turn the res parameter to zero. This should be, but isn't, the default setting. Also, try the low cut. Now see if they still suck to you. If they do, by all means look at the Torpedo. It's good stuff.

11. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

Are you sure that 0 is supposed to be the default Res setting, or is that just a work around for metal players? Otherwise, you'd only be able to increase speaker resonance. That seems unlikely, but possible true, depending on how the feature is implemented. It seems the right hand at Line 6 often doesn't know what the left is doing.

12. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I like the Eleven Rack for an affordable option. Also the AMT Legend Series stuff with a good impulse program like Wall Of Sound or ReCabinet is great as well. Used this set up for a long time.

13. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

The resonator is an add-on effect to the IR. I'm no metal player either. I'm saying that the default "should" have been zero, but the sound designers obviously liked where it was when it was released. It's mostly there for live play, not recording. Try it yourself and see. There are clips over in that other thread comparing this setting to third party IRs. This setting performed favorably over the other IRs.

14. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

Even my behringer G-100 cab sim sounds better than the pod's cab models. It's pretty close sounding to my usual power amp/cab from the tests i've done with it. It's my backup, but i'm itching to try it at a gig to see how it sounds vs my usual miced up guitar cab power by a 50/50.