What do ya'll like better? An RC Booster or an SHO?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Dec 8, 2005.

1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I've good things about both, and from what i've learned, they both do about the same thing, except that the RC has a more tweakable EQ, etc...

What do ya'll think? Which do you like more?

-john

2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I find the SHO ok, but noisy and it doesn't work with stacking at times. THe RC pedals all have KILLER EQ, as does the timmy,TIM pedals. I am really diggin my new FMD (a jfet type boost,od) and I really want a catalinbread sagrado ( no bass cut). THe FMD and the sagrado should be able to kick the SHO off the board with no trouble

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The sho is nice (especially if you have really OLD pickups it really brings them to life) , but i found a wonderful boost in the tim/timmy. It is sorta klon like in that it gives a harmonically rich fat boost when used as such(i liked it better than the RC but then again i havent clicked with any xotic pedals :( as much as i wanted to). Also, the timmy's drive properties are smoother IMO than the rc, and the klon is smoother still than the timmy. A lot of fellas prefer the RC, i would get the timmy, or get a Dream tone magic boost(it is what i use now as it is fatter(without being muddy) than all of the above and harmonically rich albeit with a very slight amount of added line noise).

good luck.

4. sssmile

sssmile Member

isn't the super hard on the only clean boost that adds sparkle and life to your guitar but doesn't grit up the guitar. for some reason I have played a ton of clean boosts and the super hard on seems to do something different to me its not imo a clean boost its more of a tone enhancer for adding life to long signal chains, weak pickups etc.

5. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

note- i have a timmy comming in a few weeks:D :AOK

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

That was the way i used it, but when used as a boost it can definately get very dirty. It definatley isnt the only one that doesnt grit up your guitar. For that application I liked the Lovepedal twin 60 (super transparent) and for fatter i liked the timmy. Both of which add some richness to the sound (the timmy moreso than the twin 60)

7. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I keep hearing this on this site and it's confusing to me. I have a SHO and it isn't noisy at all. Not a bit. I use it at the end of my pedal chain and haven't found a pedal that it doesn't agree with.

8. Bradders

Bradders Member

I agree with the SHO = not noisy camp.....have used the SHO and more recently ( the past 4 years) the Super Duper and haven't found a better pedal....I read on another string it being termed an OD - again - -not my feeling at all. SHO is, for me, the best clean boost out there to sparkle up and "make bigger" whatever you put into it.....sure the 2nd channel on the 2:1 adds gain - yep -- but the SHO is boost boost boost ( to me).

RC is wonderful too - -but subtly different - more of a low gain od.

FOR ME - (finally) if you want to boost what's already going into the amp = SHO/2:1

If you want a mild gain boost and lower OD with GREAT EQ that WORKS - RC Booster.

better still -- buy both!

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have the RC and the SHO, both work well as sweeteners but the RC has the added advantage of eq and a gain control.

The SHO is great with older pups but can sound a little too hyped with stronger pups, it's not the most transparent clean boost, it gooses the highs and lows, kinda like a subtle loudness button.

The RC has less clean output but is a lot more flexible.

As a purely clean boost, especially for older SC pups, the SHO is the way to go as long as you have an amp that doesn't mind being hit with a lot of db's (some don't e.g. SF Fenders)

If you want a super versatile pedal that can act as a clean boost/eq/OD/clean cut pedal the RC is the better choice.

Personally if I could only have one the RC would be it no question.

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I also would agree that the SHO is not noisy, and I think it stacks well. Mine's the last od/boost type in my chain.