What do yall think about weber blue dog speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Incufan7, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

The website says "classic Vox tone". Is this true or just a marketing statement. I am thinking of puting some in my classic 50. What do yall think about these speakers; does anyone have any experience with them? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Weber Blue Dog in my Fargen Mini-Plexi Combo. Here's my take on it. . .GREAT SPEAKER!!!!

Downside. . .I'm not sure it could take a 50 watt signal. Make sure you check out the wattage recommendations. I believe that they come in both 15 and 30 watt models. Also, you'll want to make a determination on whether you want a Ceramic or Alnico model. I've got the cheaper, ceramic.

Another thing about the Weber Blue Dogs. My opinion is that they wouldn't be good for high gain music. Now some people may disagree, and I'm sure you'll hear from them. I think that they sound great with medium gain signals. . .Clean to just breaking up, to medium gain crunch. Great vintage sounds. They just don't sound like a 75 or 90 watt speaker.

Good luck!

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

I've purchased well more than 30 speakers from Ted Weber over the last 4 years and my conclusion is that the ceramic Blue Dog is my favorite Weber speaker and I consider it Ted's best overall speaker.

As Rusty G. mentions, they are only rated up to 50 watts which can limit them in a 1x12 configuration even though I suspect that Weber speakers may handle 10% to 20% more than their rating. Only Ted could really say, safely.

The best of the best Blue Dogs IMHO is the ceramic 30 watt. What a great speaker.

4. benttop

benttop Member

I stuck a pair in my Mazerati. It came with Celestion V30's, which sounded good, but were too midrangy when I switch between the Mazerati and my Flexi-50 - too different. So I put the Blue Dogs in and it seems to be much closer to a living arrangement. I got the 50 watt ceramic Blue Dogs with light doping. They're not fully broken in yet, but I did make some sound clips of before (with V30's) and after that you are welcome to peek at. They are here: http://www.gear.strayca.com/mazerati.htm - there are three clips. Two with the V30's and one with the Blue Dogs. Not real high gain stuff, but not clean either. You might hear a difference.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a pair of 30w Alnicos in an open back cab and it sounds 99% as good as my 64 Vox AC30 cab, with not of the worry about blowing up irreplaceable speakers.

6. hasserl

hasserl Member

A 30 watt Alnico Blue Dog in my 5E3 sounds great! A perfect speaker for that amp, I couldn't imagine a better match.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Johnspeck. . .ZZ Top and AC/DC type tone is just what I cop with my Fargen Mini-plexi. That's why I called it medium gain crunch. I didn't mean to mislead with my post.

8. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Agree 100%

9. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

After listening to clips 1 and 3 , I can clearly hear a difference in speaker tone - just as I'd thought , the Weber had more of everything I like in tone....

10. benttop

benttop Member

I hear it too. I'm using the Mazerati for some real clean sparkly sounds against the Flexi's growl. The Blue Dogs are going to work out pretty well I think, once they break in properly.

11. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

I have a 60w Blue dog. Great rock and roll speaker. I use it in a Laney 50watt combo. It has light doping and has held together nicely.

I didn't buy it directly from Weber, but if you ask for a higher wattage speaker, he will make it for you, no charge.

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

That's a good point and good to know.

13. fastvicar

fastvicar Member

I can definitely hear the difference in those clips: the Weber is a bit clearer, yet still has the grind there. I like it a lot.

I'm also considering one of these to throw in my new Mojo 2x12. I'm probably going to pair it with a Celestion G12H30. Any thoughts? Honestly, are the Webers as good as the Celestions?

14. nek

nek Member

I got two undoped, 30W alnico blue dogs and they sounded absolutely perfect when brand new. As they broke in they got darker and darker and dull to the point where they are not really very interesting anymore.

15. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Benttop,

Is that a Pedal Train Pro holding your pedals? Dig those Blue Dogs man!

16. benttop

benttop Member

Yeah, Pedal Train Pro. Love it/Hate it. It holds plenty of pedals, and that I love. Then I try to fit it on a small stage and I hate it. I have one of their original pedalboards too, and I constantly switch between them. :)