What do you consider to be Jeff Beck's finest work?

diddlybo

I think his best work is what he does onstage on any given night. His recordings are pretty good for the most part, IMO, but you've got to see him live to really get the true Beck experience. I've seen him several times live and I don't think his recorded works come close to the magic he does onstage and in the moment.

Having said that, I probably enjoy "Truth" and "There and Back" more than his other works.

Sp8ctre

Wired and Blow by Blow for me. I didn't care for the Guitar Shop LP at all. It just didn't stand up to his previous work, odd production and a jumbled feel...

GenoVox

Silver Supporting Member
Finest work:
Blow By Blow
Wired
Guitar Shop

But my favorite stuff is definitely the four "Jeff Beck Group" albums

Also really love the "Crazy Legs" record, but that's really a whole `nother thing....

Telebluze

Gold Supporting Member
I suppose Blow by Blow if I was trying to be objective.

But Jeff Beck is my First and Best Guitar Hero - no one even comes close in my brain. And the song that did it for me was when I was sixteen in 1979, listening to Nugent and such, and a guy played Let Me Love You, track #2 off Jeff Beck Group’s Truth. That is still the guitar I listen to as my model.
Hell yeah!! And Ron Wood on bass!!

Crypto9889

"Blow by Blow" and "Wired".

"Blow by Blow" is great all the way through. The definitive guitar record IMHO. "Wired" is almost as solid, but slightly padded.

-That said, if I were to introduce someone to his music I would have them watch the "Live at Ronnie Scott" film - simply because it's fun; it's also interesting for guitarists on a purely technical level because he's playing the entire set (if I'm not mistaken) with no pick - all fingerpicking. Pretty crazy stuff.

Porschefender

Supporting Member
A personal favorite of mine is Rough and Ready (Which is Jeff's least favorite) ! He recorded that while recuperating from a bad car accident - he had a fractured skull and was getting severe headaches during the sessions and also dealing with mangled fingers yet his playing is phenomenal.

Frankie's House is another great listen, but his finest is as stated by @Sam Hill whatever he is doing next!
Rough and Ready is where I feel Jeff really had to step it up do to the great playing of Max Middleton and Clive Chaman. I also think the more involved song structures and arrangements helped him get out of the blues box. Too bad the production and mastering is so splashy.

Great band overall even though Bob Tench's vocals aren't a big fav of mine but they work. I also don't believe Beck actually wrote all those tunes, seems more like a band effort with Beck taking the credit.

Last edited:

Barquentine

I read an interview recently where he said he regretted recording Wired and Blow by Blow. He said he felt he was pushed into a jazz direction that wasn't him as he considers himself a rock player. I've tried but failed to track down the interview.

Impossible. He's too good.

Wired, Blow by Blow and Ronny Scott's should be listened to for sure, but when someone keeps improving it's hard.

fjblair

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, Guitar Shop is getting a lot of votes here. I'm going to give it another go because I remember not liking it, and so have not played it in decades.

mixwiz

Another BBB vote. I love Jeff's playing on nearly everything he's ever done. For me, it's the amount of room he gives Max Middelton that makes it exceptional. It's like really great food paired with the perfect complimentary wine. Song selection wasn't too shabby to and when one of you're blind pals shows up to play Clav, you've got pretty decent record.

Trending Topics