what do you do - bandmate & late gigs

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mannish, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mannish

mannish Member

running into a problem bandmate does not want to play club gigs cause they start at 10pm - He only wants to play the restaurant type early gigs. We have two next weekend a late night friday and afternoon pre super bowl sunday. He will only play sunday - This does not sit well with me

He says his problem with getting up frequently to whizz will not enable him to sleep after the late gig

I say you don't play the club gigs then I don't think I can just let you play the early gigs

He is only a a harp player and sings a few we can do it without him but I can't let him pick and chose when he is going to play.

AM I BEING A JERK....?

2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I don't play with people who can't meet the band participation requirements--rehearsals, gigs, accepted standards of punctuality.

Or harpists, under any circumstances.

Live with it, or replace the guy.

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Cut the cord...

4. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Dear Boss,

I like this job, but find it inconvenient to come to work at the times you have requested.

In the future, please understand that I will only be at work when it fits with my personal schedule.

Sincerely,
    Your Devoted Employee

5. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I agree on going separate ways OR let him know he's going to be considered a sub and throw him gigs as you need filled. But let him know that if you find a full time replacement who wants to make the commitment to all of the gigs that he won't be working much with you. Either way it sounds like you have a core of players and this person is kind of "extra".

6. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

If I were in this situation, I'd have to tell him "it's just not working out"

I would also tell him he was welcome to come "sit it" on a few tunes whenever he wanted.

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Fortunately, the guy is not essential.

I think it is too bad some bands think they have to have the 5 Musketeers attitude where everything has to be all for one. We had a ban member who decided we need to make a certain amount on every gig - so I said "Hey, I don't care how much I make, as much as I want to play, so I will gladly give youof my share."

He took that as a huge personal insult, saying I implied he was a "money grubber." No, I was just trying to make him feel good about doing a gig I wanted to do and he didn't realize that while he wanted to gig more than anyone, he was actually the person standing in the way of us moving forward by getting our name out there.

I think at some band members have to agree gigging is something you are in the band to do - and you have to be able to resolve differences in order to do the gigs. So, no you are not being anything.

I think our bass player (who is older) is going to have hard time making it through three sets. He is always to first to want to go home after rehearsal, and the gigs we have done that are three sets he doesn't get excited about repeating.

It is hard, because a lot of bands have band "atmospheres" where there is a lot of joking around, calling guys names, double entendres, etc. Thing can get personal really fast. I try to stay away from that stuff - and keep things on a repectable/professional level within the band.

It always help to think positive and give a lot of kudos and positive reinforcement so the bad stuff doesn't hit so hard.

8. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

You're kidding, right?

9. mannish

mannish Member

Sunday is my 19th wedding anni, so I'll get up Sat (afternoon) go to fancy dinner that night and then play again Sunday on my actual anniversary & miss at least half of the super bowl and He is complaining about having to get up to pee

It's a pisser cause we are friends

FYI: Myself, the drummer and bass player have been doing this a long time we understand- we have all played gigs starting later than 10

10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I say ditch him. What's the use of playing bar gigs if someone doesn't want to stay up past his bedtime.

Personally, when playing bars, I play my best late at night. But that's just me.

11. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

Q. What do you call a groupie who hangs around and annoys musicians? A. A harmonica player.

12. rspencer

rspencer Member

:rimshot

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much everybody in our band is needed, so we have a contingency plan in place for these types of situations. Most of the guys have a replacement or backup (usually someone who has been in the band before). If someone cant make a gig, the 2nd shows up. Happened to us this past Friday night (a 10p-2a gig, coincidentally). Our trumpet player couldnt make it due to the lateness as he had an early saturday am job. He called his backup, who showed up and we didnt miss a beat. Maybe you can find a backup harp player?

S.j

14. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Go your own way.. I see nothing but issues ahead.

on another note:
    I'm always the first to leave either Rehearsal or Gig's or load in's. I make it though fine but I'am to the point I just don't want to "hang out" when we're finished. Maybe he's the same way.

15. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Hey, until this happens to you, you'll never understand what a drag it is getting up every hour or two and never getting a full night's sleep. Fortunately, I was recently turned on to Pumkin Seed Oil (a few handfulls of raw pumpkin seeds work, too) to help with an overactive bladder. I started out taking 2 gel caps twice a day, but now I just take them in the morning and it seems to be working nicely. Try passing this along to your friend and see if it helps.

Mike

16. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Maybe grandpa shouldn't be gigging anymore...

He might want to make an appt with a urologist as well.

17. mannish

mannish Member

He has been to the doctor and usually knows about natural treatments FIRST but I'll mention it. I said heck since you are gonna be awake peeing anyway you might as well have fun

18. mannish

mannish Member

never an issue we ride together - bass player, myself, harp ride together for rehearse. We hang out together aside from music on occasion.

19. spamsponge

spamsponge Member

I've had to give up playing out for a while over a similar problem.
    I take a strong diuretic because of a heart issue and it truly does suck. It is very close to torture having to get up to piss every 90 minutes and then dealing with not being able to get back to sleep.

That said, I've done a late night thing a few times without it killing me. Though I could not do it if the day job was intense the next day.

20. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

simple: every job has requirements and not all people meet the requirements