What do you do when you don't "bond" with a pedal?

Don't bond with a pedal?

• Keep it and stash it away for later

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep it and force a bond

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Sell it

Votes: 60 78.9%

• Total voters

blackjaw

dude
Gold Supporting Member
So I'm sitting here with a really nice pedal (EQD Avalanche Run) but after a month (maybe 40 hours of playing) I'm just not bonding with it. I LOVED the Dispatch Master but am just not having a good time playing this...it might be the pedal, it might be me...not blaming anything in particlular, but there's just no "bond".

What do you do when you don't "bond" with a pedal?

Do you sell it?
Do you keep it take it off your board and hope to bond with it later?
Do you fight through it and force yourself to bond with it?

cubistguitar

I've tried all three of those, the best has been to take it off the board and try another time. Usually the gtr amp combo are the real culprit, not every pedal is gonna rock with every rig.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
I would vote- I post a thread about it on the gear page. :)

As to your specific question, if you have 40 hours with the pedal and still don't like it, I would sell it. I have pedals that I have owned for years that I don't have 40 hours of playing time with them on.

blackjaw

dude
Gold Supporting Member
I would vote- I post a thread about it on the gear page. :)

As to your specific question, if you have 40 hours with the pedal and still don't like it, I would sell it. I have pedals that I have owned for years that I don't have 40 hours of playing time with them on.

;)

ryandfl

Silver Supporting Member
I eeevvvveentttuaally sell it. I try for a while.

Real duds get flipped quickly but I normally research enough to weed that situation out mostly.

Just thinking about selling my under loved Archer now...

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Sell it.

The "Best Pedal In The World" may not work for you ever (or in your present setup) so move it.

There are numerous pedals that others love but that don't work for me.

-bEn r.

FuzzyAce

I'm a bit stubborn so i'll talk myself into keeping it a while, give it an honest chance. Even gear i love i'll have off days where the feeling just isn't there... but a week later the feeling is back again. I don't usually impulse buy, i tend to really take my time on aquiring newer gear so my odds are usually higher that it'll be something useful for me. Although i did kinda impulse buy with the Bitquest, and at first i didn't bond with it but i gave it a chance and really glad because i love it now.

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
Sell it. Give it enough time to work with my rig and if it doesn't fit, it's gone.

I'll usually end up selling or returning it BUT I do give more of a chance to pedals with a reputation. I didn't like my Archer Ikon out of the box, but apparently everyone needs a K-style pedal in their arsenal and mine had "magic diodes" similar to the real deal, so I held onto it for more than a year. Now it's clear that I'm never really going to use it. Always end up taking it off the board when I experiment with it and it was underwhelming when I used it live. Now I'm selling it.

AgusAD

I hit it HARD for two weeks or so. If it still doesn't cut it, I sell it. So I guess the most accurate option is "force a bond".

I return or sell it. I'm very guilty of making my mind up about pedal too quickly and sending it back.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Generally, if I don't dig the main tone it goes up for sale immediately. If I dig the tone but it's weird, I'll try it live and see what happens.
I probably went through 50+ drives in 2016 and stayed with what I started with.

rufedges

Sometimes putting it into a different position in the signal chain can change your mind. I've got a couple of pedals on my board that are exactly this way. My board has been nailed down and set up for almost two years now, and I wasted a bunch of time (and zip ties) a couple of months ago trying to put pedals in new positions, they all ended up back where they started.

But, if that doesn't work and I still don't bond with a pedal, it goes on ebay.

ummohyeah

In regards to the Avalanche Run... Have you tried it with an expression pedal? And have you tried it with a band, live, or jamming?

I picked one up on a whim, to try it out, and the more I play with it, the more I like it -- but if it didn't have an expression out, I doubt I'd like it as much. For me, it's a keeper.

boppy

I have seven guitars and four amps.
Usually, a pedal with work out and sound decent with some combination of the above.
I've never had a pedal that failed straight across the board.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom