What do you expect to get out of used gear?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by televisual, Mar 1, 2015.

1. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Curious as to what everyone's opinion/expectation on an item's "return price" when selling gear? Guitars, amps, pedals...whatever really. The survey refers to what percentage of an item's original price you ultimately expect to get from a sale.

Feel free to include your reasoning.

2. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

Depends entirely on what it is. A KTR? Quite a bit in resale. A brand new MXR D+? Very little to may not get anything for it. I do factor this in when making purchases of stuff I'm kind of on the fence about.

3. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

I agree here. Some gear just holds its value a lot better. For instance, I've had great luck selling a few Mesa amps over the years; not so great luck with anything from Line 6.

4. televisual

@OF - I agree it depends on the item, the question is more of a mindset when selling gear and real/unreal expectations on returns.

5. PFunk

PFunk Member

Usually a bath.

6. televisual

That's the kind of response I was hoping for :dude

7. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

It always increases in value right?

Especially if it the "best _______ I've ever played, hate to let it go"

lolol

8. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Somewhere between the average price it sells for on eBay and the next highest price. I just sold a Boss TU-3 on eBay... average price was $64, and the next highest price it'd sold for recently was $71. I sold mine for $65. Good enough.

P.S. Which is why I don't sell things on TGP anymore... I couldn't have sold that pedal for $20 here. And in less than 24 hours. Why be a supporting member when you can't sell anything at a decent price?

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Fair market value?

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You sell stuff? Not allowed here at the hoarder page.

11. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I would expect about 60% of retail if it were in good shape.

But, I never buy anything with the intention of selling. If I'm not impressed enough to believe I'll be playing with it for many years, I don't buy in the first place.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

A better question would be, what percent of an item's new current price do you think is reasonable. Original price is irrelevant. I'll go with 50-75%, which is a pretty broad range, with a very few things possibly sneaking over that.

Of course, some items are not available new any longer, then it just depends on the item, some might go well over 100%. But I really don't think that way as a motivation to buy something hoping or expecting that might happen.

13. SteveO

SteveO Member

Honestly, resale value is a very low priority for me when buying gear.

14. lowerlightsmusic

lowerlightsmusic Member

When I worked at a retail music store (chain) that specialized in used gear, I developed a pretty good formula for most beginner/intermediate gear: I would price stuff at approximately 60% of the new street price, with some wiggle room either way...for instance, a Mexican Tele was probably 65-70% of new street, and anything ART or Digitech was closer to 50%. In general, anything with a microchip seems to lose value pretty quickly after a coupla years. I'm curious to see if that holds true with Strymon stuff, since it is so beloved (and sells for almost new prices). For myself, I never trade wood/tubes/history for technology. Never.

15. slogger

slogger Member

I mis-interpreted the question. I was thinking in terms of what I get out of playing the instrument rather than selling it. I answered 75-95% with the thought that there could be minor issues with the hardware i.e. fret wear, buzzing strings etc that could ultimately be fixed before taking possession of a used guitar/instrument.

Having rethought the question: The three guitars that I have sold (G&L ASAT Classic Custom, Studio LP, Am Std Stratocaster), went close for what I paid for to roughly 60% of what I paid. You can't get anymore than what the market is willing to bear and should proceed accordingly.

16. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

As a rule of thumb 60-65% off new. It's a rere occasion I buy new though, so my target for used gear is "whatever I put into it"

17. whitehall

whitehall Member

For many years chat room people bought gear solely to flip it for profit. Now that economic conditions have drastically changed, that's much harder to do. Witness the 10,000+ item piled up in the emporium .

18. jtindle

jtindle Member

I buy used and even then I may wait 6 months to a year to get it at the price I want. So when I sell I either break even or make a little bit.

19. B Money

B Money Member

50% is about all you can reasonably expect from selling used gear. Lets face it, there is a glut of used stuff out there on the market, and by the looks of it not much is selling.
    In the low-to-mid grade gear market, there really isn't much residual value in anything.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've bought A LOT of guitars in the last 7 yrs. Almost all the guitars I buy are usually 50% to 60% off the cost of the instrument's current market value.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted 18 guitars on my local CL, and posted all of them at fair market value. I did not get anyone coming close to offering the going market value for my guitars.

On the other hand, I could have doubled my investment on every guitar. I got offers like that on most of them. I don't really need to sell any of them,but wanted to know what people are willing to pay.

When the time comes I know I'll easily double my investment on ANY guitar I need to sell, but it WON'T be sold at current market value.