what do you feel is teh difference between teh suhr classic strat and grosh classic

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by oscar100, Apr 12, 2008.

1. oscar100

oscar100 Member

never played a grosh and love my suhr but wann abe open minded

anyone help out witha direct comparison?
    :BOUNCE

2. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Well, Suhr's are great guitars. I am sure yours is very nice. Both Grosh and Suhr have build philosophy issues they will argue until they are blue in the face. Both builders execute great mechanical builds. It's kind of a Lamborgini vs Ferrari discussion.

I own several Grosh guitars. I have played a bunch (a few dozen) of Suhr's. I feel Don consistently builds more acoustically alive instruments. Don and his small team really pay attention to that. It has always been the focus of every decision Grosh has made in his designs. John will argue that Don doesn't use the right truss rod, should do a vintage style pickup route, should use this bridge or that bridge etc..... ( I am not putting words into Suhr's mouth, these are all things he stated in print on this forum and others...). Like I said, they have philosophical differences. Yet, reviews and players keep commenting about how acoustically alive the Grosh's are, how they nail that "Aged" magic.

It is great we have these amazing choices these days.....

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Well I've owned two Suhr classics - didn't bond with either one. I also owned a Grosh retro-classic. The thing was one of the sweetest vintage style strats I've owned. The neck was just too big for my small hands so I let it go. Grosh just consistently nails the vintage vibe. My only niggle with Grosh is his body shape is slightly smaller than a true strat shape, whereas Suhrs classics are the correct shape. I must also say I feel Don's fret work is superior to Suhrs, even pleked Suhrs.

4. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Thank you for the kind words about Don's work. The body isn't really smaller. The cutaways are deeper and the horns are sleeker, with a different body edge radius. Don purposely did his own hand drawn inspired version of the shape. Don also has never had Fender beefing at him about his guitars. I think the Grosh shape is gorgeous and actually more comfortable & balanced.

I would definitely agree with the Fretwork comment. Grosh fretwork is just superb!

:BEER

5. StratoKing

StratoKing Member

I owe both Suhr Classic and Grosh Retro Classic. At the end of the day, it all comes down to sound/feel/looks. Looks is always the easiest part. However sound and feel isn't as easy. To me, Grosh is very "organic" guitar in terms of feel and sound, whereas Suhr is more "refined." I am not impling that Grosh is "rough" in any way. As most people here agree, there's this "vintage" feel to Grosh. I think folks at Grosh guitars couldn't have come up with a better name than Retro Classic. The name just sums it up.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

No problem. I'll take a good luthier over the plek anyday. You're not gonna make a Grosh or an Anderson or a Tuttle play any better by pleking them. In fact, you'll probably wish you handn't!

7. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

When I was shopping for an S-style guitar, I spent a day at Boston Guitar Works trying to really get my hands and ears around both. I played three Suhrs, two Grosh RCs plus a Vinetto. They were all really fine instruments, but right from the first contact, the RCs were my clear choice. As always, this stuff is really subjective and personal, but for me, the Retro Classics feel and sound more alive--and as stated above, the level of workmanship, especially fretwork, is just surreal. My current #1 is a fiesta red RC, and my main LP style guitar is a Set Neck. Don's got his mojo working.

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Suhrs have a "the" before them usually, while Grosh's use a "teh" as an article.

9. oscar100

oscar100 Member

10. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Tru Dat!! :AOK

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with either. I prefer the "refined", "perfect" feel of the Suhr's. I own 4. The RC Grosh is very close though.

12. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

As previously said, both great guitars. I went with the Grosh Retro Classic since it sounded the closest to my vintage benchmark--my friends '62 strat he's had for the last 25 years.

Not to say it's a better sound...that's a judgement call since both Grosh and Suhr sound just great. For me it was closer to a sound I already loved. Of course it's possible that the Suhr could sound more like another vintage strat that I've never heard...I'll never know.

13. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Just curious what makes Grosh's fret work superior to Suhrs. I have a Suhr that has frets that I don't feel could be any better. Are they smoother, better fit, etc? I just don't see how they could get any better than those on my Suhr Classic -- they look like jewelry.

14. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

I've had 3 Suhr classics, currently own one, and I'm on my 2nd Grosh RC. Soundwize the suhrs are more delicate, precise and thinner in tone. The RCs are thicker smoother, more 50'ish in feel and tone. I'd say the Suhr's are more '60s ish. I actually sold my suhrs because they were too on the thin sounding side..

15. oscar100

oscar100 Member

anyone know where i can find a grosh to try in teh uk?