What do you folks know about opamps?

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, absolutely sockets. Even if you're not thinking of switching it does allow you to replace if one were to go bad (unlikely though that be).

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
My 2 cents... unless you're designing the circuit from scratch yourself, start with whatever op-amps are used in the design. There are a ton of them that can be substituted for each other without requiring any other changes. But when you figure out what design you want to start with, a little Googling can tell you what other parts are substitutes for the one you have.
"Designing it from scratch" is a few steps beyond the approach I intended to take. I'm an ME so I only took the "dummies" version of EE and that was 30 years ago.

My plan was to look for an existing design that is based on the pieces I have handy. If I couldn't find a design like that, I'd combine elements from other existing designs. Like maybe use a mixing stage from one pedal combined with two copies of an input stage from another.

What I'm thinking now is for the magnetic pickups, maybe use two copies of the input stage from a Tube Screamer and mix them into a stage using one side of the C4558C. I wouldn't be surprised if Ibanez used that same circuit as the inputs for the RockNPlay and all the pieces are sitting right there.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
"Designing it from scratch" is a few steps beyond the approach I intended to take. I'm an ME so I only took the "dummies" version of EE and that was 30 years ago.

My plan was to look for an existing design that is based on the pieces I have handy. If I couldn't find a design like that, I'd combine elements from other existing designs. Like maybe use a mixing stage from one pedal combined with two copies of an input stage from another.

What I'm thinking now is for the magnetic pickups, maybe use two copies of the input stage from a Tube Screamer and mix them into a stage using one side of the C4558C. I wouldn't be surprised if Ibanez used that same circuit as the inputs for the RockNPlay and all the pieces are sitting right there.
Might be worth looking into a few websites where people really get into the "why" of guitar circuit designs. I know there are a couple, but the one that comes to mind is freestompboxes.org.