What do you guys really think about Groove Tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Feb 6, 2008.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I've been doing alot of reading and research and I'm concidering trying them in a few of my amps. I like their testing and matching system and other QC offerings.

So what's up???

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've never had problems with them. They weren't the absolute best, but decent tubes. The matching system *kinda* works to my ears, but like anything...YMMV.

There will be others who have stronger opinions.

(Popcorn is in the microwave...)

EP

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I ordered two GT preamp tubes in a row that were defective from Blue Note in Berkeley, CA. I was made to pay shipping all four trips based on GT return policy. I can kind of see paying for a special order (they should have had the tube in stock) and maybe for the shipping back but the second round trip, ticked me off and neither GT or their dealer would budge an inch...no more Groove Tubes for me. NOS tubes are generally a bargain anyway. They almost always sound significantly better and last years, not months.

4. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

5. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

They're decent, but better can certainly be had, and their testing is a little over-rated, I think. They have issued a few clunkers, in spite of all the testing (the EH 12AT7 comes to mind). Slightly overpriced, but not bad. They're just re-branded tubes from other makers, FWIW.
    I use them quite a bit, as they're readily available in most guitar stores, but if I have time I'll usually try to research and find something online.
    El Steve-0

6. Ray

Ray Member

I don't have any problem with them, they seem to be as good as any others I have used. They seem to cost a bit more than other brands.
    YMMV
    Ray

7. Zim

Zim Member

I think they are great. A bit pricey. But I had some KT-88's and one went bad after a couple weeks, GT replaced them for me, just had to ship the bad set back. Thank goodness too, cause at $120 A pair, I'd been PISSED if they wouldn't of helped out!

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

If you're going to pay more why not just get NOS tubes?

It's kind of pointless to pay for rebrands. You can pay a couple dollars extra from most reputable tube retailers to do the tests on the tubes they rebrand anyway.

The new equipment like the ones in Fender amps etc have been pretty good but it just seems a little silly to pay that much extra for a rebrand.

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

Myles Rose there is a great resource. He has very generously shared his knowledge with me in the past and I am grateful for his expert help.

10. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I think the GT EL34M's are great! But my quad of "7" grade tubes weren't matched any better than tubes from Eurotube or Triode, etc.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

They take all the current stuff, test it, and then rebrand it as a GT. I would think if you purchased tubes that were tested properly beforehand you could spare yourself the extra expense. I believe Eurotubes (JJ distributor) checks out their tubes before you buy. I never had a problem but for the prices charged I think there are more alternatives out there for less $.

12. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

Yuck. I tried the 6L6GE, which were $90 for a matched pair, and thought they sounded flat and unresponsive. For half the price, a matched set of SEDs will blow the doors off those tubes.

I also tried their 12AX7M with similar results - dark, flat, unlively. I'm not saying all their tubes are bad, but I'm not exactly motivated to try more.

13. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Being on the road alot I was always stuck buying groove tubes bacause most of you fender dealers carry them. I can honestly say that for me they dont last anytime in a road amp and I have had much better luck buying cheaper tubes in bigger lots and just carrying them with me....

14. gibmar

gibmar Member

No respect!

Pitman and his buddies "started" the mass marketed matched tube bull. They are over priced. I think they were the ones to market heavily the matched PI tube....********!!!:nono

They prey on the under educated guitar player...

My opinion only.

15. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I won't buy them. You can get tested, matched tubes elsewhere, cheaper. Not rebranded, but who cares about that?

I have been let down by their "testing" methods in the past with failures of new tubes. I won't do business with them again unless I have no other choice.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

I got a pair of reissue Tung-Sol 5881's from a place that I have seen glowing reports on here on TGP many time. One was either bad or failed immediately. I got a replacement, right away, without any hassle and he even paid shipping both ways. It was my first purchase with him. I just don't understand how a tube that was supposedly tested (and matched) could fail like that.

17. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Simply put, a B.S. marketing hype thing at it's worst. In the early days they USED to have high quality stuff. You can find many folks that do the same deal now but better for less money. I get my stuff from the Tubestore.

plexi

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've had mixed results with their tubes. Some have been really good, some (like the mid-90s 12AX7, which was really low gain) absolute dogs. I do feel a lot safer buying tubes from Lord Valve or KCA where I KNOW they've tested my actual tube for 24 hours then whacked it with a hammer ;). I do think they're somewhat underrated for their tube gear. I've owned 7 GT amps, still have the Dual75 power amp and the Soul-o Satellite 75-they sound great. I'm a little disappointed in their tube amps, but their preamps/direct boxes get REALLY high marks from the studio guys. So it's a mixed bag. I'm glad they're here, just wish there was less hype and more meat to their basic tube business.

19. KHAN

KHAN Member

Doug's tubes for me.

20. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A lot of online tube dealers sell the same tubes, without the GT label (unless it's one of the GT exclusive items), that are well tested and cost less.

Feel free to shop wherever you like though.