• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What do you guys recommend for a basic drum set to do recording?

Andrew33

I'm not a real percussionist or drummer, but I can keep a beat. I have access to lots of sound library tones, but I want to have a set that I can use to record. Any suggestions for under $500?

Thanks

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Look on craigslist. You can pick up a decent used Asian set, like Pearl Exports, Tama Rockstars, Mapex, or PDP for reasonable money, and you might get hardware and cymbals too. Sets like those are always up there for sale. Just make sure you put on good heads and tune them right.

kiki_90291

+1 on Craigslist kits - there are usually 5 or 6 kits under $500 for sale on my local CL. Good heads and a proper tuning will make most modern kits sound at least fine. Cymbals, on the other hand, may be a bit of a challenge. Good cymbals are pricey, even used and I've never been very impressed by budget cymbals (though it's been a while, so they may be better these days). You could easily spend another $500 on a ride, hats and one crash . . .

LaceSensor1

I would highly recommend trying EZ drummer first. It is a bit different from a library of sounds in that you also get midi tracks.

Really cool for just laying down song ideas to be finished later with an actual band/drummer. Sounds way better than any live drums I have ever recorded . Keeping in mind I'm a DIY home hobbyist, far from a drum recording engineer.

DrumBob

I would highly recommend trying EZ drummer first. It is a bit different from a library of sounds in that you also get midi tracks.

Really cool for just laying down song ideas to be finished later with an actual band/drummer. Sounds way better than any live drums I have ever recorded . Keeping in mind I'm a DIY home hobbyist, far from a drum recording engineer.
The man said he has a library of drum sounds. He wants a real drumset. Can't you read?

firehawkkwah

I haven't used an acoustic set for a long time, edrums are the way to go imho.

Quiet practice, easy to move, so much easier to record and get good sounds. I have an older one, but some of the newer kits feel pretty amazing.
For recording, digital and modeling/samples is the way to go.

I use mine jamming too, hooked up to a PA system or general loudspeaker it's as loud as you want (or not).
Gotta say I like playing and not having everyone's ears bleeding from everyone turning up to match the drums.

Weeziewow

I started with budget cymbals before slowly upgrading. I listen to stuff I recorded with the budget cymbals and they sound pretty great. If it’s for recording, cheap cymbals can record surprisingly well.

Brad2

Well if I could play the drums I would also buy an electronic drumkit for playing without upsetting the neighbours and for recording. It seems to me that recording straight into the mixing desk is easier than all the hassle with microphones when you are using an acoustic kit

Brad2

I haven't used an acoustic set for a long time, edrums are the way to go imho.

Quiet practice, easy to move, so much easier to record and get good sounds. I have an older one, but some of the newer kits feel pretty amazing.
For recording, digital and modeling/samples is the way to go.

I use mine jamming too, hooked up to a PA system or general loudspeaker it's as loud as you want (or not).
Gotta say I like playing and not having everyone's ears bleeding from everyone turning up to match the drums.
Do you use your electronic kit live as well with a band ?

firehawkkwah

Absolutely!
Great for quiet stage, and the sound guy couldn't be happier.
Plus they sound good.
The feel is little different, and the look certainly is, but no one can tell the difference in sound.

Crowonawire

I bought a $100 Craigslist set from an old music teacher. He gave me every noise maker known to man plus a very simple kit. Snare, high hat, floor Tom, bass and one nice cymbal. I love it. Records great. Swings a lot more than software.

DrumBob

Your basic four piece acoustic set with better quality cymbals and hardware, plus good heads and proper tuning should do the trick for you.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
Yamaha Stage Customs can be found easily and are cheap but decent drums. Not a ton of tuning range from my experience at least but once you dial them in with good heads they'll do the job. Good hardware too.

ToobNoob

Yamaha Stage Customs can be found easily and are cheap but decent drums. Not a ton of tuning range from my experience at least but once you dial them in with good heads they'll do the job. Good hardware too.
This^^^

Yamaha Stage Customs. Great bang for buck. A new set will be a little over your limit, but sooo worth it.

T$

Trending Topics