What do you guys think about the Ibanez DE7 (Delay)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SoCalSteve, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I really, really don't want to spend alot on a delay pedal and I'm debating between a DE7 and a used Digidelay.

Feel free to tell me what you think of these. I actually just got outbid on a DE7 at the last minute so this gives me some time to hear others' experiences.

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

try the mod setting on the digidelay....that pretty much would make it a no brainer for me....Digi delay hands down....

3. reo73

reo73 Member

I use a digidelay regularly and think it works great. I had a chance to test it side by side with a blackbox quicksilver and the digidelay sounded just about as good to my ears.

4. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Well, I am satisfied with my Digiverb and I saw a photo of Alice Cooper's guitarist's pedalboard with a Digidelay on it but the price of the DE7 is very appealing.

5. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

DE7 has the most convincing analog sounding delay Ive heard.

Digidelay has a nice tape delay.

So really just choose if you want tape or analog.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

they are the two best bang for buck delays out there. flip a coin. . . you can't go wrong. . .

7. kakev

kakev Member

De-7 was better to my ears and I didn't like the digidelay's construction. Check also Carl Martin Red Repeat. Same price range, but much better than those 2.

8. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Another vote for the Digidelay... do a search on the DE-7. The verdict seems to be that it sounds great but there are problems with the switch. I was in a similar situation a while back, got the Digitech and haven't looked back.

9. afterburner

afterburner Member

do you want to be able to do self-oscillating sounds? the Digidelay doesn't do that. That's about the only thing it doesn't do. Everything else sounds great.

Otherwise the DE-7 is great too, but not as versatile. It gets into self-oscillation really easily too.

10. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

I half-agree with Chemical 69. You CAN get oscillation sounds on the Tape and Modulation modes of the Digidelay, but they're rather, er, "subdued." The other modes won't oscillate at all.

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

Tried the DE7, I am going to get a used Digidelay. I thought the DE7 sounded great but the lack of spillover and tap tempo were the things that drove me to the Digidelay.

12. kakev

kakev Member

As far as I know the switch problems are history. Earlier models had the problem. I didn't have any problems in that department. By the way..the tap tempo in Digidelay is pretty damn near useless to me. Very inconvenient to use. Haven't really missed those pedals. There's so much better delays out there.

13. Birddog

Birddog Member

I like them so much that I recently set two up on my board. One I keep for slapback/delay, the other set to "echo" with a longer time, more repeats.

No problems with switches, no tone-coloring. And that "echo" setting is very convincing as analog. Each repeat just gets a touch darker. The delay is fine, too.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have, and like, both. I used the DE7 for a few years and it sounded very good. I bought a digidelay and like the sounds in it.

BUT, I'm only extrapolating from what SoCalSteve wrote about not wanting to spend a lot, that he might also want "ease of use".

The DE-7 is absolutely straightforward. It is delay/echo mode switchable and all other knobs are easy to read onstage, set, or see and guess what it will sound like.

The Digidelay has more sounds in it (and personally, I LIKE reverse delay...it's just a challenge to figure out how to use it live) but because of the MODE knob, I don't think it is as straightforward.
    For one thing, if I remember right, it is not simply each mode step = more delay range or anything, they have a "normal" range as mode one, something else for two (I'm guessing...from memory) and then the third or fourth is slightly longer than the first...

I think they tried to make it do more, multi functions for some switches, etc. which gives lots of options, but onstage or with a band even in practice it can make it hard to set. I can't read which mode is which, and though using it a lot would help, I use easier to set ones with bands.

So, to sum up, the DE-7 is great sounding, predictable and easy to set, and gives you long/short range, and delay or echo mode if I remember.
    It is the one I would choose for playing in bands, or gigs.

The Digidelay is cool as can be, but I would use it at home by myself, or for recording.

15. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I have a DE-7 and love it. It is very tape-like. The best I've heard. I have never had a switch issue with mine. The self-oscillation abilities are incredible as well. I couldn't imagine finding a better bang for the buck delay pedal out there.

16. jpagey

jpagey Member

I have an Ibanez EM-5 from the plastic bug series and it sounds great: warm and long, for a pedal, delays. I thought I read the DE-7 is the same pedal in a new package, but do not quote me.

17. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

18. jrm

jrm Member

I used a DE7 for years before I got my DD20. Excellent pedal and I often gravitate back to it. Good stuff all the way around.

19. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I use a Boss dd5 for digital delay sounds and DE7 for tape/analog sounds. The DE7 has beaten out over 4-5 different analog delays. It hasn't broken on me at all. There though a SLIGHT loss of high when the pedal is on, but nothing you would notice live. Some, not even at home.

20. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Thanks guys. Tap tempo may be the deciding factor, but I'll dwell on it a little more.