What do you guys think about the Line 6 Shuriken Variax SR250 & SR270 guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Billy Moss, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

The SR250 has a 25.5 inch scale length and the SR270 has a 27 inch scale length.

I like this guitar because I use a lot of different guitars for my songs and different tuning like open A and G and drop D and even lower tunings.

[​IMG]

2. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

want one. lol

Billy Moss likes this.
  3. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Right. It does all the cool guitar sounds and the tunings. Great for recording and live when you need a guitar and alternate tuning. Jus turn some knobs and it's done.

4. sleewell

sleewell Member

i like how they look. don't see the point of the baritone since the idea of these guitars is that they can do any tuning.

can someone answer definitively if they can change snaphots on a helix from the guitar?

Billy Moss likes this.
  5. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I think it's for low tunings and intonation.

I want the 25.5 and open G, A, E, D and C tunings just by turning a knob

55goldtop likes this.
  6. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Anyone play this guitar?

How is the neck and the tone of the guitar?

7. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

8. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

Both the JTV and Pacifica-based Standards I've played were high fit and finish quality, and I bet the Shurikens are also. I had a JTV Variax and it was really cool what the software allows you to do (changing bodies, pickups, pots, pickup string balance, etc). Once the novelty wore off I found myself using its magnetic pickups more than the Variax models. BUT I play mostly clean or slightly crunchy, and I think once you get a bunch of gain/overdrive and effects going you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (between real pickups and modeled guitars). I mention this because the Shuriken looks like it's made for hard rock and metal.

For what it's worth, "shuriken" in Japanese means "hidden hand blade" and refers to a small knife or spike (includes throwing stars) that is thrown as an offensive weapon, or as a distraction. I should know, I lost partial vision in my left eye to one.

orourke likes this.
  9. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Thanks and that's awesome. Sorry to hear about the accident. So can you put humbuckers in the Tele or the banjo?

10. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

Yes you can. Put Strat pickups on a big body jazz archtop, then change the pot values to suite your taste. It's a lot of fun to play with, and it opened my eyes to the history and components of vintage electric guitars.

But once I learned the basic characteristics of different guitars and pickups from the Variax models, I found I preferred real magnetic pickups through real tube amps enough to let the Variax go. It paid for my Princeton Reverb. I'm only saying this so you know the models aren't quite the same as the real thing. If you just want to use the built in pickup and have the Variax function as a bonus, I'd say go for it. The build/finish quality is good and consistent in my experience.

I may buy a Variax Standard someday, since I don't have a Strat-style guitar and the Variax thing is fun to experiment with.

Batch and Billy Moss like this.
  11. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

I know they don't sound as good as the best guitar they're modeling, but I need the versatility.

JasonElGato and Jaji like this.
  12. Jaji

Jaji Member

Considering taking that plunge today myself. But, I have heard that no 2 sound exactly alike - same model. I have to question that, but the local GC doesn't have any in stock to try before buying.

13. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

The sames goes for a Strat and Les Paul.

Sneaks and Jaji like this.
  14. orourke

orourke Member

Just to add my two cents: I have a Variax 600 since they came out years ago. I still use it for studio work, but for live, the models just don’t respond the way a guitar with magnetic pickups do. Maybe if you’re doing the whole Helix thing it might work. But an LP or Strat into an overdrive to a tube amp is hard to replicate.

On the other hand the acoustic models are great, it’s nice not to set up mics for an acoustic track, just plug the Variax straight in. The sitar is like owning a Coral Sitar and the banjo has come in handy. So it was worth buying.

JasonElGato and Jutaika like this.
  15. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

I use a JTV69 (same tech as the Shuriken) as one of my primary guitars for my cover band. I'll pull up a Tele sound for the occasional country tune, switch tunings on the fly, pull up a modeled 12-string, or swap over to acoustic and even multi-guitar sounds (modeled + magnetic pickups simultaneously) mid-song using my Helix LT.

Sure, I've got guitars that play better and the modeled electrics are something of a novelty, but being able to change (or combine) instruments or change tunings on the fly is huge!

FWIW, there's tons of info and some great user-created Variax patches over on Vguitar.

JasonElGato likes this.
  16. Jaji

Jaji Member

I went ahead and took the plunge. I am mostly interested in it for the acoustic models, and the instant alternative tuning. I will probably stick with my main Strat for the rest.

Gig Young likes this.
  17. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

I would never say the Variax models don't sound good, and based on my own experience, there's no other guitar modeling tech that can touch it (yet).

Another thing to consider is this:
    A. Playing in dead silent room, in stereo, through high quality headphones (like I often do) and
    B. Playing on stage, in mono, with a lot of crowd noise and other instruments going
    These are two very different experiences and hugely affect on what you hear in your tone.

JasonElGato and Billy Moss like this.
  18. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

Totally agree. My favorite Variax models were the acoustic guitar and resonators.

Billy Moss likes this.
  19. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Do you like the banjo?

20. Jutaika

Jutaika Member

I never played a real banjo, but it sounded pretty good to me. I can see if you're good at fingerstyle guitar you could get a pretty neat thing going.

I really liked the metal body resonator. Haven't played a real one of those either, but that is just a cool sound!

Billy Moss likes this.