What do you guys think about this deal? SF Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SuperSilverHaze, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

I'm going to check this amp out on Wednesday and if it sounds really good ill probably buy it unless you guys think there is a reason I shouldn't. I'm sure ill have to replace the caps and I already have replacement tubes sitting around if I need them. The speakers are original and I'm not really sure if that desirable or not. Also, I'm not sure on the year but a friend thinks it a 73-75

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/msd/5529928471.html

2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

If it sounds good and the reverb and tremelo work it would make a mighty fine gigging amp. Sometimes they can benefit from new speakers. On some of my old fender amps the originals were "tired" and the amp did not have the headroom it should. New speakers always fixed the problem. I would haggle a bit.

SuperSilverHaze likes this.
  3. Tread

Tread Member

Probably a Flood/Hurricane survivor. Due diligence on inspection.

QRSS and SuperSilverHaze like this.
  4. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

73 They dropped the tail on the logo and added the large magic tone washer under the jewel lamp.
    I'm with your buddy.73-75 year. I have a 1971 year Vibrolux. What an awesome amp it is. Original speakers in mine.
    See how mine lacks the magic tone washer?

[​IMG]

5. dbx

dbx Member

It looks really clean for the age from the pictures, but I agree about checking everything out before you buy. If it had been flooded, would it be playable or power on? Would the store open the chassis to let you see inside? It doesn't look like the strap screws have been futzed with. Make sure that it still has the tube rectifier...check the reverb and tremolo footswitch played through the amp...check out the video FFTT posted in my "Heavy Chassis..." thread, talks about things to look for in these older Fenders...

If it sounds good, it looks like a nice complete Vibrolux from the time...bring cash, good luck with it...

6. zenas

zenas Member

Those speakers are CTS alnicos and complete junk. Please buy the amp and ship me the speakers I'll take care of disposal.

If that was near me I'd be on my way over there with 100 dallor bills. I'd look inside then start slowly peeling bills out. Hoping to get it cheaper.

You can pretty much expect it to need electrolytics. Don't screw around replace them all if original.

SuperSilverHaze and dbx like this.
  7. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Realistically how low do you guys think I can get this down to? I never go to pawn shops but was thinking of offering $750 cash and taking it from there. I figure that would give some good wiggle room and hopefully end up with it for 900 or less. Even $1000 isn't bad though

zenas likes this.
  8. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

Feel the seller out by fielding a few opened ended questions about the amp. See how he responds. Carefully layout a lower offer. You just don't want to irritate the seller to
    the point where he tells you to go away, it's not for sale. I'd say the average seller has 10% to 15% wiggle room. $850 to $900 is where that idea would put the price based
    on the ask. Go get it. It's a great amp.

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Yours also has the magical unbolded plate at the top right...the one that lets the mojo leak out from the tubes.

10. Papanate

I agree with Keithb7...except I don't think that amp is worth $850.
    More like in the low $700. But like he said - don't want to piss off
    the dealer.

11. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Why do you say that. These regularly run for $1200 + albeit they are usually in a better condition cosmetically.

12. Papanate

Because the Market is depressed right now. Why do you think
    it's in a Pawn Shop instead of being sold by an individual?

And the kicker: 'People have messaged Us that it is from everywhere from 1966 thru 1975, so
    you decide.' And the guy says Vintage way too often. He doesn't know a thing about it - just
    that 'vintage' must sell big'. I bet he paid $300 for it.

13. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I paid a lot more than $1000 for my 69 silverface and it was well worth it. They're great amps.

QRSS and SuperSilverHaze like this.
  14. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

I'd be willing to bet its at a pawn shop because the person selling it was in a financial crunch and needed immediate cash. Also even if they got it for 300 it doesn't mean that it should be worth much less. I've been keepin up with these amps and this is the best deal I've seen

15. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

What difference does it make what someone else paid for it? If it runs nice it's worth it. A little black polish will do wonders to the cab.

16. m@2

m@2 Member

Vibrolux are such great gig amps. Punchy as heck

17. dbx

dbx Member

Considering what Deluxe's of similar timeframe are going for, if you could get this for less than $1K it would be a very good amp day...(the guy has to realize there's going to be some play in the sell price...you will have to throw some service at it), you'll know once you play it.

...may the odds be in your favor...

OilsFan and SuperSilverHaze like this.
  18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I don't think $1000 is out of school. The Vlux are popular right now. But yea, I would try $750. The alnico CTS are pretty highly coveted. They used to be $300 a set of 4 on Ebay, but now they are way above that. Super reverb people always looking for them. Recent Ebay sales seem to be $800 and up to $1100... depending on year etc. $800 being like a '79.

19. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Also looks like RCA black plates are in there too. Hopefully they're in good working order. If not I have some winged Cs I can put in.

20. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

looks like the old girl was worked hard.

cant really tell exact year unless you open the chassis. will take all of 5 minutes if they'll let you.

be prepared it may need a cap job and some up grading and TLC. can cost another $250 or so in tech work.
    I paid $1500 for my 69 drip edge about 6 years ago off the original owner but is was show room condition, still had original RCA red plate tubes and was virtually un touched inside.
    came with the owners manual original bill of sale and some other case candy