• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What do you guys think of a Custom Custom and Full Shred?

Matt300ZXT

I got a couple pickups today at a pretty good deal so I figured I'd pull the trigger and be able to use them for something if they just don't mesh well together. I picked up a Duncan Custom Custom and a Full Shred neck pickup. The guitar I want to put them in is a Les Paul style guitar with a mahogany body, thick maple cap, and mahogany neck with rosewood board. It currently has DiMarzio Eric Johnson custom pickups in it but I just want something a little hotter. If this combo won't really work particularly well I can always wait for something else, I just didn't want to pass these up.

Matt300ZXT

This one got buried fast! I am picking up a Full Shred bridge from a friend so I can have one in the neck and bridge, I guess I'll save the custom custom for something else.

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member
They are both very mid-rangy pickups. The Full Shred is higher output. I used them both in different guitars back in my "how fast can I play" days. I recall liking the Duncan more but I guess it's all Viva La Difference.

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure about les paul, but custom custom is great in a bright guitar thats lacking in mids.

Spudman

Dave Urich uses them in his Ibanez RG450 and they sound great. The RG is not a Les Paul though. Look up some of Dave's videos on the tube and see if you like his sound. Same pickup combo.

JEricB

Custom custom is great in a strat, but it’s a pretty dark pup, ime. In a strat, it’ll do VH tone pretty well.

DonP

I have both.

A full shred set in a (dark) Charvel 750XL (short scale, mahogany body / maple cap fixed bridge rosewood).

A Custom Custom in a 1980's (bright) ESP Horizon (long scale, ebony, OFR).

They work perfect in the guitar that they are designed for.

Aceman893

Custom Custom is an A2 mag pup that has super fat highs, monster mids, and sort of loose bass. It really shines in a 25.5 scale Strat with a Floyd. I have used it in a Les Paul though, but currently only have one in a Strat copy.

Raise treble poles a touch to increase highs. Only cure for tighter bass is short screws, hex poles on the bass, or chop the ones there. If you need super fat highs, or want mega mids, it is great. Fairly hot, but it doesn't "feel" it. I used it for slide a lot and loved it. YMMV.

Bonus: You are an A5 or Ceramic swap away from having a Custom or a Custom 5, if you don't like the Custom Custom.

The full shred is a really bright, lots of highs, super articulate pickup, sharp/biting, and also reasonably hot, although not super-mega hot. I would never mix a FS neck with a CC bridge. I have never thought of it as having a lot of mids though. It is built for exactly what it says.

Matt300ZXT

Alright, the Les Paul clone will get the Full Shreds and I'll save the Custom Custom for another guitar as my stable is generally Floyd super strats. I did have a CC in an old Burny Les Paul Custom years ago and that guitar was sooooo smoking hot that I was wanting to recreate that. However, that sound may not appeal to me as much anymore as it's been years. This will be a great excuse to buy another guitar to put the pickup into lol

NCASO

The Full Shred PUP is NOT high output. it's listed as mid output.

Also, it has a "scooped mids" tone profile which gives alot of clarity and note definition, but lacks warmth on high end, imo.

I'm not a fan of the full shred pup. i had one in a DK24 years back and swapped it out for a JB.

Last edited:

Trending Topics