What do you I did wrong?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bunther, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Bunther

Bunther Member

I got a wild idea to run the output of my Digitech Vocalist 3 into a Zoom MS-100bt and then out to the PA mixer. I bought a short XLR (female) to balanced 1/4" (male) to run between the Digitech Vocalist and the Zoom MS-100bt. I bought a 20' balanced 1/4" (male) to XLR (female) to run from the Zoom to the mixer. My guitar runs into the Digitech and out to a 2-channel switch box (2 x send/return) I use to enable/disable two other Zooms (MS50g and MS70CDR) in my guitar signal chain. I use a DC Brick to power all 3 Zooms and the switch box. The DC Brick and the AC adapter for the Digitech plug into a power strip mounted on my pedal board. My guitar cables are Lava cables.

After plugging everything in and powering on, the led on channel 2 of the switch box exhibited an erratic behavior and an unpleasant buzz could be heard. Toggling the ground lift on the Digitech only made the buzz worse.

What did I do wrong? Is the problem the new XLR-1/4" cables?

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

If I thought the problem might be the new cables, I would test them individually. If they all work, I would put the system together one bit at a time until it doesn't work. In other words, standard troubleshooting procedures. If you ID a piece of gear that doesn't work in this set up, ask around to find out why.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Good luck. :)

3. wpawley

wpawley Member

Are you running everything as a "Line Level" or just putting it all into the Mic Pre-Amps on the mixer? If you are, try running into the mixer as a "line In" and see if the quietens the buzzing.

4. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

FWIW, I don't think that Zoom pedal is expecting a balanced signal. Might try an XLR-TS instead of XLR-TRS from the Digitech to the Zoom? I had to use an unbalanced XLR to 1/4" cable to run the Line output of my Powerblock into a DI box without a boatload of noise.