• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What do you know about MIJ 72 Thinline Tele Reissues?

Keef Wichards

Hey All,

I recently (yesterday) got a 1993/1994 Made in Japan 72 thinline telecaster, you may have seen my NGD. I was wondering what you all know about it? I can't find much general information on it online. Just some starting points, what is the fretboard radius? I'm not sure if it is 7.25 or 9.5.
Also, I'm 95% sure the pickups are FWRHs, but if someone knows for sure, that would be appreciated.
Any other miscellaneous info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly in advance for anyone who knows about these guitars.

Redrum

Well, I picked-up a CIJ '72 R.I. Thinline back in 96/97 and I don't think I'll let this one go. The Ash body is well figured, if not a little on the heavy side. The neck is WIDE (no measurements to share) and the radius feels like vintage 7.25. My first pickguard bubbled-up but I managed to have it replaced through the dealer, which took a while.

As far as the FWRH's go, I kind of dig em'. They're not the original style Fender used back in the day, for sure, but I experimented with the pickup heights and adjusted the individual pickup height screws to roughly match the radius of the strings which definitely helped.

It's a cool guitar and has a lot of personality. I like the fact that it's a CIJ (Crafted in Japan) Fender model and is no longer available.

Nice axe! Enjoy her.

Keef Wichards

Well, I picked-up a CIJ '72 R.I. Thinline back in 96/97 and I don't think I'll let this one go. The Ash body is well figured, if not a little on the heavy side. The neck is WIDE (no measurements to share) and the radius feels like vintage 7.25. My first pickguard bubbled-up but I managed to have it replaced through the dealer, which took a while.

As far as the FWRH's go, I kind of dig em'. They're not the original style Fender used back in the day, for sure, but I experimented with the pickup heights and adjusted the individual pickup height screws to roughly match the radius of the strings which definitely helped.

It's a cool guitar and has a lot of personality. I like the fact that it's a CIJ (Crafted in Japan) Fender model and is no longer available.

Nice axe! Enjoy her.
Thank you very very much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Top Bottom