• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What do you like about British speakers in Fender amps?

fitz

I believe Fender voices their amps pretty darn good. I also believe that once you remove an American style or Jensen speaker, the Blackface tone does go out the window. I tried replacing my stock Jensen a number of times in my PRRI to get a little better "rock" tone out of the amp. After a few speaker swaps, I tried a 10" Celestion Greenback because I have a 2 x 12 Green back cabinet and it sounds good with the PRRI.

Well the Greenback has been installed for a couple of weeks and is starting to break in. It is definitely tighter sounding, has more midrange and handles the upper volumes better. I like it a lot. But the higher end chime and scoop is gone. Is a bit of a compromise in terms of the overall Blackface tone, but I like it for my playing style.

Im keeping the Jensen & will probably swap them back and forth every now and then, but overall I like the Greenback in my PRRI.

Todd1357

Inspired by this thread, I whipped a quick speaker comparison together. I'm comparing the clean tone of a Celestion G12-65 and a Jensen C12K. Amp is a 1967 Fender Dual Showman (Normal channel with Volume on 4, Treble on 7, Bass on 3, Bright Switch off). Guitar is a Carvin Dc127. I begin with bridge humbucker + middle single coil, then neck humbucker, then bridge humbucker alone.

I really love both of these speakers for clean tone. The Jensen is brighter and really shines when I use the single coils. The Celestion is darker and I tend to prefer it with humbuckers.

Celestion Heritage G12-65 @ 0:00
Jensen C12K @ 1:22

Last edited:

Snorktop

I like their British tone, goes something like, "I say bloke, I hate to get into a kerfuffle with you, but I'm a bit knackered, so could you stop gobsmacking me with all this bloody overdrive before I throw a wobbly. There's a good cheeky lad. Now sod off you prat."

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Can you elaborate on what makes it “just right”?
Thanks
Well... I like the balance of the speaker. There is a healthy bottom end, but not flubby... and a clear articulate top end that is not spikey. I like as much headroom as possible, so I prefer the 100 watt versions myself.

The Scumback H75 sounds richer and fuller (to me) than the usual choices for Fender amps. Another word that might describe the Scumback's tone is more "muscular". Lol... I don't know if anyone else will relate to that description !

I personally don't care that much for the M magnets, with any of my amps (a Fender, a Germino, a Carol Ann). I prefer the H75, followed by the Scumback J75, 100 watt speaker.

For a number of years I tried quite a few speakers, but I ended up liking the Scumback H and J75 speakers more than any others with all of my amps.

Last edited:

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Todd1357's video comparison demonstrates a lot of what I hear when comparing "american" type speakers against "british" types. To my ear the Jensens sound thinner and "plinkier", than the fuller Celestion.

I also tried the Celestion 12-65 for awhile but found I preferred the Scumback H75 more.

middy

There's the economy of it, many Fender lines have used Celestion since the 70's I think, when they expanded to multiple factories. I could only really envision putting Jensen, JBL, or other vintage style copies like WGS or Eminences I guess if I wanted to hassle with a change up

I don't like Alnico for speakers. I don't want a burst of power, handling with a gentle touch, or broader beams from my open combo cabs. I like to fight the cab with a dark amp because my guitars are single coil and I like the sound of a wide open bridge for lead

So it was good that I got used to the initial icy feeling of stiff overrated Celestions, and that they continued to ply them throughout an era of building so I could get them firsthand without much question of "would it work with my goal of using my same rig for practice or else." Just about every brand now makes a high wattage speaker that will adapt to your preference rather invisibly versus the original cans and designs- I see speaker breakup as something to be avoided whereas the more authentic and American you derive a pairing of cones for, the more likely you will hear them for their characteristic inefficiency. However you will definitely spend more on aftermarkets that have high 100's of watts and that seems like a big hassle if it's not stock

If you asked me what do I think the best speaker available today though is, I would have answered a Jensen Blackbird 100. Why it is great I can't really say, I've not really gotten a chance to try one ...they are top shelf though from what I care to find when I remember
Please click below:

KenRothman

Silver Supporting Member
I went from a GA-SC64 to a Scumback M75 in my '69 Deluxe, and am quite happy.
Wanted to get a bit more of a rock tone, and i think i achieved that.
Sounded great both ways, but prefer it this way.

I have the original utah put away.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Todd1357's video comparison demonstrates a lot of what I hear when comparing "american" type speakers against "british" types. To my ear the Jensens sound thinner and "plinkier", than the fuller Celestion.

I also tried the Celestion 12-65 for awhile but found I preferred the Scumback H75 more.
Interesting because I heard it the exact opposite. In fact I was surprised how much warmer I found the Jensen to sound compared to the Celestion. I went back and checked the post again to see if I had the speakers mixed up.
To each his own. That why we have so many choices!

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I have 100 watt Fane Alnicos in both of my blackface-voiced amps and love the end result. The amps have more warmth, but still retain great clarity (eg funk cleans) and handle gain beautifully.

Nope, the final product is not a pure vintage tone. But after owning many vintage Fenders with stock speakers, this setup is better for my tastes.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
SROs have long been a personal fav .. I so enjoyed the 12Ls that i bought a 215 SRO Kustom cab in the mid 80s because i predominantly played rhythm .. Lots of riffs .. Walking basslines .. there wasn't a musical genre where this cab did not serve me well .. Great for Metal .. Hard Rock .. Classic Rock .. Pop .. Jazz .. Country .. Especially nice for Bluegrass and Blues .. and dayum priceless for R&B and Funk .. Loved playing Jimmy Nolen stuff with it

Love me some SROs
Bluegrass?:confused

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting because I heard it the exact opposite. In fact I was surprised how much warmer I found the Jensen to sound compared to the Celestion. I went back and checked the post again to see if I had the speakers mixed up.
Indeed !

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
I love my PRRI with a 12" Celestion Alnico Blue... great combination. Didn't lose Fender BF cleans to me, and adds definition / sparkle at the top.

View media item 264621
I was looking at those before I bought my Supro Keeley lol. Blue amps are just cool to look at, forget about the sound aspect lol.

But seriously though and back to the question, I'm OCD about keeping American amps with American speakers and British amps with British speakers aside from something more rock/metal-centric like a 6505+ being paired with V30s obviously. I run Jensens with Fenders and Celestions with British amps; it just goes that way. But having said that, man did I ever like how a GB reissue sounded in my Blues Jr...lots of crunch and just totally took it from a Bluesy amp to sort of a little rock machine. I definitely see why people mix/match and have started to try Celestions, but I'm just sort of traditional I guess. My Super Sonic Twin came with V30s...out they went and over to a 2x12 cab they now sit lol; dropped some Jensen Jet Tornadoes in there and it just feels "right" now lol.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Inspired by this thread, I whipped a quick speaker comparison together. I'm comparing the clean tone of a Celestion G12-65 and a Jensen C12K. Amp is a 1967 Fender Dual Showman (Normal channel with Volume on 4, Treble on 7, Bass on 3, Bright Switch off). Guitar is a Carvin Dc127. I begin with bridge humbucker + middle single coil, then neck humbucker, then bridge humbucker alone.

I really love both of these speakers for clean tone. The Jensen is brighter and really shines when I use the single coils. The Celestion is darker and I tend to prefer it with humbuckers.

Celestion Heritage G12-65 @ 0:00
Jensen C12K @ 1:22

Nice comparison, worth 10,000 words.

For those clean cleans, I really like the Jensen better. Sounds great.

(Something)

I have a heavily modified 66 Bassman that sounds heavenly through Celestion Creambacks. I’ve also found a nicely broken-in pair of Vintage 30s pairs nicely with Blackface-style amps.

Todd1357

Nice comparison, worth 10,000 words.

For those clean cleans, I really like the Jensen better. Sounds great.
Agreed. For me, a dream rig would have speakers footswitchable, toggling between Celestions and the Jensens. I'd switch to the Jensens for my single coil bell-like tone almost every time!

Depends on the model and context, wouldn't you say? Some Jensens are even their takes on british speakers to make matters even more confusing. May I ask which are your points of reference here?