What do you like about your single coils?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sertshark, May 23, 2019.

1. markmann

markmann Member

In general I like buckers and singles about the same but live I like how the singles cut through the mix better.

2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

EMGs have been around since the early 70s, originally under a different name (Overend or Overland or something) the early ones were called Selects and were not active. I am not even sure how the Selects were made, I have a set of them here and they sound just like regular Strat pickups except much cleaner and no noise. Again, I never pried one apart to see.
    Of course you can tell on close inspection with the SAs and Selects, but from a distance if you cannot see the EMG logo you can't tell. There were plenty of old Fenders that had pickups without pole pieces, the old Duo Sonics and Musicmasters for example. If I remember right some of the aftermarket brands didn't have pole pieces either.
    But, I will take your word for it, I just didn't know how you could know other than what DG says about it, which I forget what he has had to say about his guitar alterations over the years. I knew that he used a pretty much stock strat during the Dark Side period, but I never much thought about what he used after he got into the rack mount stuff.
    I know the SA setup I have sounds great, the only beef I have with them is that I do songs where I use controlled feedback, which I have to always figure out where various guitars I have resonate at, but the EMGs just will not feed back. They are not in the least bit microphonic, which I like pickups that are somewhat microphonic.

3. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

That's what lost on people who thumb their nose at noiseless pickups. They don't sound exactly like single coils, but they have a different sound that can be great. They're more like single-coils' less popular but equally cool cousin.

4. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

That's what you think.

5. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

I like how Billy Gibbons do.

Poppin' and sizzlin'.

6. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Snap and clarity, especially in the low end.

7. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

I have been using EMG-SA pickups for about 10 years. Never had a problem getting them to feed back. Not quite as easily as a passive single coil, but they can definitely feed back!

Gilmour has almost always used single coil pickups, and EMG-SA active pickups are single coil pickups. Gilmour used regular passive single coils in his Strats and Teles from the beginning of his career until around 1984. He started using EMG-SAs around that time for live performances to help eliminate noise issues from the stage lighting rigs. He went back to regular passive single coils around 2006 and has been using them ever since.

8. Gurn

Gurn Member

Jazzmaster AV 65’s = absolutely necessary studio tools. It is my go-to lead guitar.

Gibson P90’s: I haven’t really made good use of them yet. I love the Les Paul Special Double Cut.
    It’s like holding a baby in my arms. I’m less in love w/ the P90’s.