• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What do you own of the holy trinity?

The Holy Trinity: Which of them do you own?

• Martin, Gibson, and Fender

• Fender and Gibson

• Fender and Martin

• Gibson and Martin

• Just Fender

• Just Gibson

• Just Martin

• None of them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Delayed Delay

Can we basically agree that Fender, Gibson, and Martin are the "big 3" when it comes to iconic, long established, and hugely popular guitar brands?
Sure. I'll agree based on the criteria you set in the OP...

But your post and the title communicate very different things IMO.

Holy Trinity? Heck no.

If YOUR holy trinity is having a Gibson, Martin, and a Fender... Then fine. But when I was shopping for an acoustic a few years back, I played just about every Taylor and Martin under the sun, but the guitar I was most impressed by? Larrivee. I've had my OM-03RE for 6 years, and it's incredible.

When I was shopping for a Tele a few years ago I heard and saw a buddy of mine playing what looked like a Tele, but had "G&L ASAT" on the headstock - sounded better than any Fender I've ever heard... Bought one and haven't looked back. Same story when I was looking for a Strat - my Legacy is probably the best guitar I've ever played.

I do love my Gibson LP Standard though. :)

Almost all of my guitars are Gibsons or Fenders.
Gibson: 3 LPs (1 P90s, 1 hum, 1 P90s Tribute), a 333, an SG and a Hummingbird Artist
Fender: 2 Teles, 1 Strat, 1 Jazzmaster and an old DG-20

No Martins, though. A D-28 would be great, though I'd get a Taylor first.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a few Fenders, a Martin and a few Gibsons. Vintage pieces are an early '60s J45 and a '65 Fender.

QQQ

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have any currently. Would love to have my old hd28 back though.

gadzooka

Posted earlier, adding in images of my guitars. I have no complaints with these:

Acoustic is a 2001 HD28:

Electrics are 1998 MIM Strat, 2004 MIM Tele, and 2011 ES-345:

chrisjw5

I voted just Fender'

I have several Strats, an Edwards Les PAul that's nicer than any LP I've ever played (and can afford) and a Taylor 300-series

DWB1960

Sure. I'll agree based on the criteria you set in the OP...

But your post and the title communicate very different things IMO.

Holy Trinity? Heck no.

If YOUR holy trinity is having a Gibson, Martin, and a Fender... Then fine.
No, THE holy trinity of guitar brands based on:

Longevity in the market
Popularity among players
Use on classic recordings
Consistent sales over decades
Visibility on stages
Etc.

If Family Feud did a survey and asked 100 regular players (not TGP boutique guys) which are the most famous guitar brands of all time I'd wager that Fender, Gibson, and Martin would rank 1, 2, and 3 (not necessarily in that order).

Bones43x

I currently own(in order of purchase):
1998 Gibson SG Standard - Natural Burst (supposedly limited edition when I bought it new)
2005 Ibanez Prestige RG1527BK - 7-string
2010 Ibanez Prestige RG1420F - Black Haze Burst - LE "10th" Anniversary Prestige
2008 Ibanez Prestige FR1620BK - Bought "new" in 2012
2011 Taylor 314ce
2011 Charvel SoCal - MIJ

I have owned and sold/returned:
junky Oscar Schmidt acoustic - first guitar...actually I think my parents may still have it.
2007 Ibanez AEG20
2008 Ibanez Prestige RG2550z - Galaxy White
1997 Squier Fat Strat - first electric
2008 Gibson SG Diablo - Silver - GOTM
1998 Fender Am. Std. Strat - Midnight Wine
2012 Carvin TL60

The only one I regret selling was the '98 Strat. At the time, the other guitarist I was playing with at church played a strat so felt like I didn't need it. I sold it to help fund the Taylor 314ce so I guess something good came of it. Now I really want a Tele and a Strat, but I still love my Taylor.

Here are my big 3:

BEACHBUM

Can we basically agree that Fender, Gibson, and Martin are the "big 3" when it comes to iconic, long established, and hugely popular guitar brands?

So, what do you own?

I've got:

Martin D28
Gibson R9
Fender 57 Strat
That's about a 40 year old concept. Today, and for quite a few years now, there hasn't (in reality) been a "big 3". Today it's more like a big 33+. I've been playing for almost 50 years so don't get me wrong. I lived through those many years when those three names were the absolute "must have" instruments. But, that was then and this is now. Even for many of us old Geezers those names simply don't carry the weight they once did because for other than custom shop instruments those brand names are simply not what they once were. Those companies that were once seen as icons in a bygone era are now in large part perceived by many of us to be nothing more than what they are, which is builders of mass produced guitars of fair quality suitable for the casual to semi pro player. Not to say that's a bad thing. I've owned a bunch of those guitars and they have all been pretty good stuff. However the Gibsons, Martins and Fenders I currently own and or have recently owned (although certainly pro level instruments) for the most part aren't what you would call iconic. When we look at the undeniable quality coming from off shore builders (Japan) and small custom builders what was iconic in the 50's and 60's has in large part (at least at the mid to high end level) been superseded by what is worthy of being called Iconic today.

Gibson Custom ES 137
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha SA 2200
83 Ibanez Artist AM 205
Fender FMT HH Tele
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Special Edition Koa Tele
Fender Lite Ashe Tele
Fender BSB FSR Tele
Strat Partscaster
72 Guild D40
80 Sigma D10 Anniversary
68 Fender Palamino
83 Fender American Strat Revised Edition

Last edited:

telebuck

These are my current guitars:
Martin 000-18EC in sunburst
Gibson Historic '63 ES-335
Fender Telecaster - lite rosewood

Incoming and unholy? PRS Modern Eagle Quatro

Mandrax

Acoustics bore me, my holy trinity are Fender, Gibson and PRS. I currently own all three but my Gibson (90s Les Paul Standard) looks to be on it's way out, a friend is begging me to sell it to him and I might just have to oblige!

pbmw

Yes I do
I have some SG's, ES335's, LP's, Jr's, Strats, Tele's, P Base, and a couple of Martins among others.
Thinking about a Jazzmaster...
Jeez, it never ends.

Trending Topics