What do you prefer in the neck of an SG - P90 or humbucker?

SoCalSteve

I just can't get that great of a tone from my SG styled guitar like I can from my LP. I'm wondering if something like a Duncan Phat Cat would get me a better neck tone than a humbucker.

Last edited:

jtindle

I would like to know too. I am contemplating getting a p90 Les Paul like a R56. I have an R8 now, but something about P90's intrigue me. Wonder what the tonal difference is between a LP Jr and a R56?

Thanks

Jeff

never-enough

i love p90s in a sg.
its a raw aggressive sound with the right amount of bite and plenty of balls.
i put a vintage vibe guitars humbucker sized p90 in the neck of my sg and a month later put one into the bridge. the guitar really came alive to me once the p90s were in.

i had put a set of the same pickups into one of my les pauls a few months earlier and i have to say i love them in the paul as well. but im not sure what i would choose if i only had 1 les paul. thankfully i have 3, all sounding very different and great in their own ways. viva la variety!
i dont miss having a humbucker equipped sg. the p90s seem like a perfect match for that guitar to me.
YMMV

mainsale

I own two SG's and both of them are powered by P-90's. Here's my PT Sig. If you already have a SG with a humbucker rout, drop in a Fralin P-92, 8,000 turns and thank me later

TownsandSG.jpg

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
...imho an SG with P-90's is the definitive rock&roll beastie.....i also recommend the Vintage Vibes as well as HD Z-90s which are a bit more agressive than the VV's

Last edited:

SoCalSteve

Thanks guys. Due to budgeting issues I may go with the Tonerider Rebel 90's or the GFS Dream 90's.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom