• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What do you prefer in the neck of an SG - P90 or humbucker?

SoCalSteve

I just can't get that great of a tone from my SG styled guitar like I can from my LP. I'm wondering if something like a Duncan Phat Cat would get me a better neck tone than a humbucker.

Last edited:

jtindle

I would like to know too. I am contemplating getting a p90 Les Paul like a R56. I have an R8 now, but something about P90's intrigue me. Wonder what the tonal difference is between a LP Jr and a R56?

Thanks

Jeff

never-enough

i love p90s in a sg.
its a raw aggressive sound with the right amount of bite and plenty of balls.
i put a vintage vibe guitars humbucker sized p90 in the neck of my sg and a month later put one into the bridge. the guitar really came alive to me once the p90s were in.

i had put a set of the same pickups into one of my les pauls a few months earlier and i have to say i love them in the paul as well. but im not sure what i would choose if i only had 1 les paul. thankfully i have 3, all sounding very different and great in their own ways. viva la variety!
i dont miss having a humbucker equipped sg. the p90s seem like a perfect match for that guitar to me.
YMMV

mainsale

I own two SG's and both of them are powered by P-90's. Here's my PT Sig. If you already have a SG with a humbucker rout, drop in a Fralin P-92, 8,000 turns and thank me later

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
...imho an SG with P-90's is the definitive rock&roll beastie.....i also recommend the Vintage Vibes as well as HD Z-90s which are a bit more agressive than the VV's

Last edited:

SoCalSteve

Thanks guys. Due to budgeting issues I may go with the Tonerider Rebel 90's or the GFS Dream 90's.

Trending Topics