What do you REALLY think about original JCM800 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StudioRat320, Feb 13, 2013.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Lately, I've been really digging a friend of mine's old 800 cab. well, not so much for clean, but damn does it kill for crunchy OD.

It seems that after all these years, the 75's in the cab have broken in nicely.

Any of you agree?

2. michael.e

michael.e Member

After a long search for an adequate 2-12, I have a vintage 1936 cab. I did pull the 75's and installed a fresh set of Creambacks. The cab resonates beautifully.

3. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Get yourself an 800 cab loaded with original G1265s or better yet the old 444 cone 80w speakers and you'll really have something special.

4. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

I love them. I had a vintage cab which I sadly sold in an amp deal, like a true idiot. God, I miss that cab...

5. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I've been looking and there seems to be quite a few available and the prices are good too. Almost wish I hadn't ordered 4 Creambacks for my empty Hiwatt cab. I may try and find one in a couple weeks when I have more disposable income.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

While you're looking, if you come across an old Ampeg V4 cab, you might want to try that out too.

Also the circa 1979 Mesa/EV Road Ready cabs from back then were pretty impressive.

7. Alvis

Alvis Member

They're GRRRRReat !