What do you recommend for patch cables? About to order from Lava.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm looking at patch cables from LavaCable and just wondering which to go for. My instrument cables are Evidence Lyric HG and whilst I'd like the Monorail on my board, it's a bit more than I want to spend right now.

Considering the Sommer Spirit XXL, Mogami 2524, Klotz La Grange and the Gepco cable they offer.

Any preferences? Any clues why?

Thanks

2. giantrobotswinbig

giantrobotswinbig Member

I like the solderless Mini ELC with gold ends (right angled) because the tone quality is stellar and because I like the complete flexibility over patch cable lengths. Putting the cables together took me a little while to get the hang of, but there are numerous tutorial videos that are quite helpful.

The only downside is that the cables become looss if you keep plugging and unplugging them, but you can easily fix it by re-tightening the ends.

3. Fubba

Fubba Member

If you can solder, I'd recommend Mogami cable and Neutrik/Switchcraft TS connectors. PM me for a source if you're interested. Not sure if we can post that kind of stuff here.

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I also suggest Mogami...I used Lava cables for my latest PB update and whilst they work fine (ATM) I had a few issues with setting them up at first. I'm not quite sure that they are quite as transparent as the G&H/Mogami soldered cables I used previously but it's more the worry about them playing up that concerns me. If you need to adjust your pedals or board, they can be tugged and short where the soldered stuff is just bulletproof.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If you are particular to the Monorail cable, I would suggest buying it in bulk and connectors bulk and solder them yourself. It's a big cost savings, as long as you can solder, and also gives you custom length patch cables.

Monorail cable is expensive, the alternative could be Mogami cable. The least expensive place to buy Mogami cable is thru: Redco.com and they ship internationally.

You can get Monorail or any Evidence Audio cable thru Best-tronics.com and they will ship internationally. GLS pancake plugs are $1/each or less depending on the quantity you order thru: Speakerrepair.com.

7. strat9659

strat9659 Member

8. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I've got Lyric HG instrument cables too. Got Reveal patch cables from www.solderedsound.com for $9 bucks each. Didn't want the hassle of assembling cables or worrying about solder less coming apart. I think it cost less than buying a kit too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

I used George L's for a long time which I am guessing are similar to the Lava's. A couple of years back I switched to mogami cable and pancake jacks which I now like a lot better. I would highly recommend looking into them.