What do you think about a Marshall MG100 hdfx?

Tampitump

I met with some potential bandmates tonight at their rehearsal space. The amp they had in there was the MG100 hdfx. I was skeptical until I played through it. It sounded pretty damn good to me. When the band kicked in it sat in the mix well. It had lots of sustain and sounded like a decent tube amp to my ears. I've been wanting to drop the coin on a new tube amp recently, but since playing through this amp I think I'd like to buy it from the guy. I'm right at the point where I think this band will be playing its first gigs within a few months, I thought it would be a good amp to get me going. Is this amp gig worthy and quality? What do you think?

electricity17

I've never played this amp so I don't know much about it. Personally I haven't been impressed with any of the recent Marshall amps that I've played.

If you're unsure if this is the right amp for you, then you should go play a bunch of amps at Guitar Center or whatever music stores are nearby. Play all the amps that you can until you start to see which ones you like and don't like. If you find something you like, see if there's somewhere that you can turn it up loud, as it will sound different (usually better) when you crank it to band levels. Good luck finding the right amp!

EADGBE

I've never played one either. But Marshall makes great sounding solid state amps.

Tampitump

I just figured it would be a good start for gigging. It's simple, easy to use, sounds good, light weight, and I can probably pick it up for about $300, amp and 4x12 cab together. That will save me huge cash that I don't have. I'm sure if most gigs mic my amp, it will be perfectly adequate.

I just figured it would be a good start for gigging. It's simple, easy to use, sounds good, light weight, and I can probably pick it up for about $300, amp and 4x12 cab together. That will save me huge cash that I don't have. I'm sure if most gigs mic my amp, it will be perfectly adequate.
You're absolutely correct. The MG100HDFX would be great value for a gig-able amp if you're short on $$$. No question about it. I've never owned one but I've heard others play them at shows and you know what? They sounded great. The important part is that it sounds and feels good to YOU. If you're happy with the tone and it helps you to feel inspired when you play, that will reflect in what the audience hears.

cap'n'crunch

[QUOTE="electricity17, post: 23327051, member: 85955"

If you're unsure if this is the right amp for you, then you should go play a bunch of amps at Guitar Center or whatever music stores are nearby. Play all the amps that you can until you start to see which ones you like and don't like. If you find something you like, see if there's somewhere that you can turn it up loud, as it will sound different (usually better) when you crank it to band levels. Good luck finding the right amp![/QUOTE]

The best test for an amp is actually playing it in a live situation in a band mix. He already did that test with the MG and it doesn't surprise me at all that it felt good in the mix. . Are the MG's great? No but, they get the job done when you are in a pinch.

Rumble5

I used to have a 100-watt Marshall Valvestate I played through a matching 4x12 cab. It sounded great... until there was another guitar amp in the mix. It was totally, I mean totally drowned out by a 1x12 40-watt Blues Deluxe. You couldn't even tell there was another amp in the room with the Blues Deluxe.

My experience has been that solid state amps, even with a lot of watts thru a big cab, get lost in the mix if tube amps are in play. The only solid state amp that didn't was a 100-watt Yamaha G-112 from the 80's that could tear through any mix.

WhoJamFan

These are common amps at rehearsal spots in Los Angeles.
A few times when I didn't feel like packing up all my stuff and just showed up with guitar and pedalboard in hand , it was ok. Not good or great, just ok. Doesn't really cut it with another guitar player, they get lost as soon as the bass and drums kick in.
They're ok in a pinch, piss off my bandmates if I turn up to rehearsal planning on using it, and are really pretty lifeless and ear fatiguing when you crank them.
Just my 2 cents, bit I'd just keep using it at rehearsal since it works for you and save up for a better amp.
Also, sucko fact of life for me, 4x12s are massive overkill in most places that mic you up-which is about everybody now-and they'll want the volume so low that it's actually hard to hear it with a band even standing right in front of it.

realtyviking

I owned one years ago and had fun with the amp. The Marshall MG series cab is terrible. Small boxy sound with bad speakers. I sold the Marshall MG cab and replaced it with a Crate 4x12 and it was a fun unit. Not horrible, but not great by any means.

My advice is to look for a better amp at your price point. Peavey Classic and Crate Vintage Club combos in the 30-50 watt range can usually be found for $300 in good to great condition all the time.

WillLane

I met with some potential bandmates tonight at their rehearsal space. The amp they had in there was the MG100 hdfx. I was skeptical until I played through it. It sounded pretty damn good to me. When the band kicked in it sat in the mix well. It had lots of sustain and sounded like a decent tube amp to my ears. I've been wanting to drop the coin on a new tube amp recently, but since playing through this amp I think I'd like to buy it from the guy. I'm right at the point where I think this band will be playing its first gigs within a few months, I thought it would be a good amp to get me going. Is this amp gig worthy and quality? What do you think?
:barf

I am sorry friend. I cannot in good conscience tell you that you should buy it compared to a proper tube amp. The MG's are just not good sounding amps, compared to tube counter parts. If you were to buy the MG, I would suggest you would end up replacing it very soon as you will start noticing its negative qualities, costing you more money in the long run. I have played MG's ranging from the tiny ones to the big ones. All not good. The higher-powered ones may be somewhat better as they are able to push more power/bass, and have more headroom. But I never will recommend one because there is always something better in any of the MG's price point. You can get some solid tube equipment for $300ish dollars, if that is your budget cap. How you were talking though, makes me think you do have more to work with. Please do not settle for the MG.

Tampitump

The one I played through last night sounded good to me. The other guys liked it as well. Its cheap. At the least it will be a good practice amp for my bedroom and will look cool in there. I can always turn around and sell it.

joe_bird54

If you can get it for $300 do it. Check out Dave Simpson on YouTube... he has 3 of them and an OrangeCR120and he sounds great. I thought the speakers weren't great when pushed I replaced the speakers 2 at a time with Greenbacks (I like the smaller cabinet, but that's me) and am very happy with the amp. Good luck with whatever you decide!

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
Some older marshall solid state amps were pretty darn good. The MG series isn't one of them. I agree with the guy above. Get a used classic30 or 50. Much better amp. But if you like the MG (or is it just the logo you like?) buy it.

Tampitump

If you can get it for $300 do it. Check out Dave Simpson on YouTube... he has 3 of them and an OrangeCR120and he sounds great. I thought the speakers weren't great when pushed I replaced the speakers 2 at a time with Greenbacks (I like the smaller cabinet, but that's me) and am very happy with the amp. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Yeah, I saw one of his videos.

But if you like the MG (or is it just the logo you like?) buy it.
I must admit to loving the logo. But my position on this amp is entirely predicated on having played through one (with a band) and loving what I was hearing. My riffs suddenly had new life. I was actually blown away by how good it sounded. I guess it just worked with my guitar and my hands. The other guys complimented me on how good I sounded. I've been depressed lately about not having a nice professional tube amp and not having the money for one, and this amp just made my day. I can afford this! I was just asking here to see what some of the guys thought before I committed. Sometimes one's own ear can deceive them, so I needed to make sure. I've not read a single bad review of this amp. And judging by the other night, I think I can make this amp sound really good! Build up a good pedal board and it should be killer!

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I saw one of his videos.

I must admit to loving the logo. But my position on this amp is entirely predicated on having played through one (with a band) and loving what I was hearing. My riffs suddenly had new life. I was actually blown away by how good it sounded. I guess it just worked with my guitar and my hands. The other guys complimented me on how good I sounded. I've been depressed lately about not having a nice professional tube amp and not having the money for one, and this amp just made my day. I can afford this! I was just asking here to see what some of the guys thought before I committed. Sometimes one's own ear can deceive them, so I needed to make sure. I've not read a single bad review of this amp. And judging by the other night, I think I can make this amp sound really good! Build up a good pedal board and it should be killer!
If it makes you happy and you can afford it I say go for it and enjoy!! That's what it's all about man...It's nice seeing someone get excited over a new piece. It's a good feeling....Enjoy!

vr6pilot

"It sounded pretty damned good to me." Then why are you here? Don't let gear snobs steer for you.

vr6pilot

The user interface is different. I do not know if there is any difference in sound/tone.

Care to elaborate on why you hated it?

Hamer95USA

Grumpy Cat says you must buy a real Marshall tube amp head to have good amp tone, not the Marshall MG100 HDFX amp. Grumpy Cat likes to poop on the MG100 HDFX in his litter box becuase he thinks it sounds like poop.

Trending Topics