What do you think about Emi GB12s for a JMP 2204 instead of G12-65s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shooto, Feb 29, 2012.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

so, I take it that G12-65s were the speaker matched with the late 70s JMPs...and they're cool- but, what do you think about some Emi GB12s...get that mid grind and hopefully take away some of the brightness of the amp?...good idea?

thanks!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

As far as I'm concerned the GB12 does a great greenback tone on the cheap...it'll do exactly what you are describing.

If you're wanting to stay at that price point, also look into the WGS lineup. Great stuff at the same price that you'll find the GB12.

If you're willing to spend more, the Scumbacks are hard to beat.

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

thanks- yes, I use WGS speakers (using ET65s actually for the Marshall)...have any idea how the Green Berets are compared to the Emi GB?...the Green Berets seem much brighter and have an earlier breakup...both of which I do not want-

4. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

My 2203 sounds tits with GB's. I have a 412 loaded with them. I actually want to try the G12-65's though.

I'm not having any brightness issues with my JMP but I'm also using an EC1000 with 81/60's and these are rolling off the highs a bit. I'm getting rock tones i've never gotten with EMG's before and I prefer passives. I don't play anything saturated over hard rock. I was surprised the EC1000 sounded so good with it. My Strat is sit'n in the corner pissed.LOL

I have a clip if you want to hear how it sounds with Greenbacks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

^ yes, clips please..that would be cool

6. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

I was riding the guitar volume increasing it as the vid goes and then roll off to clean at the end. Guitar straight in. Sorry for the cam angle. I was a tad above target hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmfnvD1MeQ

Man I can't get the vid to show up so I have to use the link instead. Driv'n me crazy. Works at the Marshall forum and HCAF when I post a vid. WTH!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    wntbtw likes this.
  7. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I have a 4104 with original 16 ohm G12-65s, and an Avatar traditional open back 2x12. The stock speakers in the Avatar were 16 ohm GB12s, but I recently switched to 16 ohm WGS ET65 speakers in that cab. I also have an EVH 4x12 with Heritage Greenbacks for comparison, and used to own standard reissue Greenbacks.

The ET65s, as they get more broken in, sound most similar to the original G12-65s. I keep the same eq settings, and they sound great. The GB12s were darker and lacked some clarity in comparison. I had to run the treble a little higher with those. While they are great speakers, for about the same price, I like the ET65s more. The GB12s have more of a lower-mid emphasis (a little more "congested" sounding), while the G12-65s and ET65s have more of an upper-mid emphasis (but with a subdued highend). The EVH/Heritage Greenbacks have more highend than all of the other speakers I have, but are still "warmer" speakers (standard RI Greenbacks have more "sizzle" and less warmth in comparison to the Heritages).

8. dughaze

dughaze Member

Nice clip. I have a pair of GB128's in a closed back cab and they get really sweet as you crank 'em up. Great speakers. I didn't like them in an open backed cab but then I don't like anything in an open backed cab.:rockin

I like them better than the Green Berets.

9. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

I have to apologize for writing GB's instead of Greenbacks or Celestion GB's. My intention was to give a clip of what a JMP can sound like with Greenbacks or like speaker. I have been looking at the GB128's and have read great reviews on them and that they are Greenback like. I don't want to be misleading with my clip. Hope its clear now. My cab has Celestion Greenbacks in it.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

That's kinda the idea behind the G12-65s, to tame the volume and especially the sizzle of the 2203-04 amps.

I would expect the emis to be louder and brighter.

11. dughaze

dughaze Member

No worry. It sounds like the GB128's in my 2x12 Avatar Traditional closed back cab to me!

12. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

They're in a Avatar Traditional 412!LOL

13. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

^ that's my worry...would love the GB growl but do NOT want overly bright...amp is bright enough

everyone says the Emi GBs are bassier/darker than the typical Greenback or GB clone

14. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

See my post above; I've owned and used them all. I found the Emi GBs to be darker than Heritage and regular Celestion Greenbacks, Celestion G12-65s, and WGS ET65s. More lower-mid emphasis (thicker/more congested). If you have the money, Celestion G12-65s match best with a 2204. WGS ET65s are the next best option IMO. Emi GBs are a nice alternative for thicker tones, but I found I was starting to stomp on my bass player's territory with those.

15. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

^ yes, I read your post- I don't have a problem adding treble...but running out of options adding bass/low end to the amp...that's why I thought the GBs might be good

16. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

Exactly, the high end is very smooth on the G12-65's. I like the way the bottom end sounds as well. Great speaker for that amp.

Schaf

17. freaksho

freaksho Member

from what i've read i would not make the assumption that you know what real G12-65's sound like just because you have ET65's now. but again, that's from what i've read, again i have not tried either so take that fwiw (would love to try a set of Heritage G12-65's someday though).

18. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

^ true, but the ETs and how others have compared them to the Celestion 65s is all I can go by right now...someday, I'd like to try some vintage G12- 65s too!

19. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

As stated, I have both original Celestion G12-65s and WGS ET65s. While my ET65s are still breaking in somewhat (maybe about 15 hours of use so far at hard rock band volume levels), they are sounding more and more like the G12-65s each time I play through them. So far, they are sounding very close to my original 30 year-old G12-65s, but with a tad bit more high-end/sparkle/clarity perhaps. They also seem to be a tad bit more efficient/louder. For the price, they are a no-brainer in comparison to the costs of Celestion's reissue.