what do you think about Ibanez guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gnanotsua, Aug 30, 2008.

1. gnanotsua

gnanotsua Member

can anyone give a comment about Ibanez guitars? about its advantages and disadvantages?

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Which ones? Ibanez makes a huge range of guitars from metal to jazz. Some are higher end, others are for the budget minded. I have owned a number of them in the past, play with guys who have them, so be a bit more specific in your query.

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Like most companies anymore, Ibanez makes guitars that range in price/quality from beginner level to the experienced pro. I've played Ibanez guitars for the past 25 years and always felt that they were a great value at each level in my playing. In other words, the one I had when I had 2 years of playing under my belt was great back then, and the ones I have now w/ almost 30 years under my belt still are great.

4. blhm84

blhm84 Member

The only Ibanez guitars that I have played are the artcore series, and I am of the belief that these guitars cannot be beaten in value. I personally play an AK-95, which is a copy of a Gibson ES-175, and it sounds almost dead on for a fourth of the price.

5. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

The ibanez's I have played or owned all felt pretty great, good quality guitars specially in their ranging price

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Very unergonomic, the ones I've played. Hard, uncomfortable 90 degree angled edges on the bodies, flat as a board fingerboard radius usually combined with JUMBO frets makes for an unplayable neck. I don't see how either is supposed to aid in fast playing or bending, it just feels horrible. I always thought it was odd how their very expensive models use basswood bodies. I always thought of basswood as a cheap, low-end body wood and they charge a fortune for it.

7. teleman65

teleman65 Member

I've been playing Ibanez among other brands almost since I started playing 30+ years ago.
    They have made some very nice models IMO with High Quality at prices which IMO humbled their American counterparts.
    I've never much cared for their "shredder" guitars but I think their Artist series of guitars from the 70s/80s are excellent instruments.
    I have an '82 Artist which has served me well since I bought it in '82.
    I have an Artcore which is fine but I want to upgrade the pickups and I needed to do some work on the frets. Otherwise it is a decent guitar. I have a few other Ibanez guitars and I like them all to varying degrees.
    The best thing I can suggest is to try them out with an open mind. You may end up with a fantastic instrument at a great price. Or you may find that you want something else.

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

Great guitars for the price. Actually as good as many far exceeding them in price. The Artcore series is great. I recommend them without hesitation.

bilbal

9. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Ibanez is at the extreme end of the thin-neck, flat radius camp. I personally love them, but they're not for everyone.

10. jakob

jakob Member

Best value for money I think.

Great guitars, specially J-Custom and Prestige.

11. kherman

kherman Member

Basically you have 3 levels.

MIJ (Japan)
    MIK (Korea)
    MII (Indonesia)

And are ranked in that order.
    Highest quality to lowest.

So, if you can I suggest going for an MIJ.

When watching Ebay, be careful.Ask for lots of pics.
    As many of them are parted out guitars.
    May have a MIJ neck on a MII body with a MIK bridge.
    so, you really need to learn what to look for.

12. Mudder

Mudder Member

There are plenty of Ibanez models that don't have prestige or wizard necks. I have had several Ibbys, none entry level, all great guitars for the money. In fact I'd consider the SZ series a true sleeper guitar. Had a SZ720 that was simply excellent. MIK, comfy, easy to play, finish work was great, just a great guitar for less than $600 brand new. Tough to beat.

13. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Like many said, they make crappy and excellent guitars. I've tried some cheaper models that compare favorably to similarly-priced Squiers or Epiphones.

14. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Definitely check out the Ibanez SAS32EXFM....bought one about a month ago...super resonant solid mahogany body, solid flame maple cap...beautiful antique violin colored finish....solid steel, toneful, 2 point trem and block...very solidly made and works fantastic...
    Plays beautifully...set neck with a GREAT neck join and contour that lets you access the upper frets so easily.
    It has Ibanez'z "True Duo Bucker" system which lets you split both humbuckers via push/pull pots and it gives you a very very good single coil soul as well.
    Try out a few, as I tried out 2 other guitars in the same store, same model, everything, but only one out of the 3 just had something special about it...bought it on the spot.

Just an amazing guitar at around 500-600$ NEW

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SAS32EXFM

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Ibanez vintage instruments (pre-1985 about) stand against ANY guitars in terms of quality and sound, and can be had for half to a third of the prices of vintage Gibbies or Fenders. See my link in my sig for pictures of my guitars. Someone earlier said that Ibanez makes a full range of guitars, just like G and F. If you want, you can compare "Indonesian" "Gio" Ibanez guitars to low-end Squiers or Gibson's Baldwin series. All of them are crap. The mid-range Ibbies are as good as Epiphones, higher-end Squiers, and the Mexi-Fenders. The high-end Ibbies (including the "Custom" series of Artcore semi-hollows) rival the high-end G/F American-made models, and again, at a third of the price (or less).

I'm not a user of the Wizard-neck, JEM/RG style Ibbies, so I can't comment on them, but I have a 2006 Artcore Custom AS-103 (a 335 shape) that is one of my FAVORITE guitars to play.

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

And China.

17. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Well, the guitar I posted is made in China, yet everything about it was outstanding at its price level. Even the factory setup on the Ibanez was amazing...no overly sharp fret ends, perfectly even frets, no flaws in the finish, even in the binding, and yeah...even the nut was cut welll!!! Before this, I played at least 7 different schecters, at least 5 different ESP guitars, a few Jacksons, a couple Fenders, and a few other guitars within the 500-800$ price range, and seriously, I could have EASILY bought any of them because I had lots of cash to burn (guitar teaching money for like 3 months), but I went with the Ibanez which was made in China...

...a couple of the jacksons I tried were MIJ...and the ESP's were Korean I believe...

18. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Great value guitars.

19. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I grew up playing Ibanez guitars for 20+ years. I used to own an '82 Ibanez Destroyer II which was a great guitar that surpassed any Gibson Explorer I've ever played. I traded it off to buy my '96 Les Paul Custom since I'm not into pointy guitars anymore.

I also used an RG-570 /w Dimarzio PAF Pro & HS-2 guitar pickups that played great. Unfortunately, I broke the upper guitar horn on the RG-570's basswood body by bearing down a little too hard at a gig one night. A couple of years later, one of my bass playing friend's brother, a big, mean, hard fighting, guitar playing, Mexican guy:hide, grabbed my gig bag by accident one night, thinking it was his guitar gig bag, and accidentally smacked it against something and cracked the 570's neck. The RG series guitars sounded & played great to me, but the basswood bodies & thin Wizard necks can't take abuse and break easily if badly mishandled.:messedup

Guitar George

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've owned a couple and played many. Ibanez makes some of the best bang-for-the-buck guitars going. That JS model is the bees knees, even though I'm not a floyd man.