What do you think about the whole band going direct?

axelfoley

Silver Supporting Member
I have been thinking about auditioning for a local band. The thing is they all go direct. Electronic drums and everything. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like it would be nice for setup and breakdown but I don't really like the idea of a L6 bean being my stage rig. I have a Boss multi effects which I can get nice sounds out of but not the same sound that comes from my Mark V and 4x12, not even close.
The Axe preamps don't really appeal to me. I like toobs. I also like my halfstack and it may sound silly but it is a huge part of my rig and therefore part of me on stage.

Whatcha think?

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I have been thinking about auditioning for a local band. The thing is they all go direct. Electronic drums and everything. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like it would be nice for setup and breakdown but I don't really like the idea of a L6 bean being my stage rig. I have a Boss multi effects which I can get nice sounds out of but not the same sound that comes from my Mark V and 4x12, not even close.
The Axe preamps don't really appeal to me. I like toobs. I also like my halfstack and it may sound silly but it is a huge part of my rig and therefore part of me on stage.

Whatcha think?
Your asking this in the 'Amp and Cab' forum? :p

If you like the bands music and playing with them then why not, give it a try.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
I like toobs. I also like my halfstack and it may sound silly but it is a huge part of my rig and therefore part of me on stage.
I think you will ultimately be unhappy unless you can change them.

WHY do they do this?

hasserl

There's a local band around here that gets all the jobs, they say what they play is Classic Rock, but it's pretty much classic Top 40. They all go direct, not an amp in sight. I really can't stand 'em to be honest. I don't like the cheesy song selection, I don't like the lack of nice gear, but hey, they get all the jobs. They play everywhere, and they get paid good to do it, while I'm playing jams and small no pay gigs or taking a cut of the bar tab. But hey. I get to play real amps! :crazy

cooljuk

We tried practicing all direct at my drummers house (he's got several real kits and a V-Drums set) where he's got his v-drums set up a few times. Nobody liked it but the singer... and of course she did. She could hear her own voice above everyone else, including drums, what singer wouldn't love that?

The other guitarist and I use feedback for sustain a good amount so it was just awful for us.

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
Saw a band at the Oktoberfest going direct. Hate to say it but they sounded great "outside". What they lacked in amps they made up in PA cabs though. They had a sweet set up and a dedicated sound guy. They pulled it off.

axelfoley

Silver Supporting Member
I think you will ultimately be unhappy unless you can change them.

WHY do they do this?
I agree, but I wouldn't try. They are already established locally. As to why, the answer I got was easy setup/breakdown and no big gear to transport. I can see that point of view......

BUT IT'S NOT VERY ROCK AND ROLL :beer

Keld

Silver Supporting Member
I've done this a few times live and we practiced this way for a while - far from ideal but better than not playing at all. I found it wasn't that much less hassle than just using an amp - as a matter of fact, it usually required a bit more forethought on how to get a decent tone direct.

gixxerrock

The advantages are:
- you can easily get a good low volume sound for rehearsal
- band can get tighter due to better rehearsals
- can dial in a good band sound which is easy to reproduce live
- easier to incorporate other elements (clicks, samples, loops, etc..)
- records easy

Works very well for some styles of music, not so much for others. Personally, I find it a lot less "rock and roll" and think it loses something live.

Hamer95USA

Hey axelfoley,

I've done the direct to the P.A. mixing board at rehearsals and gigs. I use either a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp & some analog effect pedals or a VHT Valvulator tube buffer/Boss GT-3 effects processor direct to the board. It worked out great as I'm using the P.A. as a big amp, sounds great from the way I programmed the GT-3 preamp section, easy to setup & breakdown, but like cooljuk said, the ability to use feedback from an amp is not there. Hearing guitar through a monitor onstage with the bandleader mixing the onstage monitor mix puts you at the mercy of the soundman. It's like playing guitar at church, if someone thinks you're too loud in any way, your level goes down.:mad: I do this though for low stage volume and to keep the owner & customers happy at the restauraunt gig I play at every month.

Guitar George

JPW

Personally I think it is degrading and a sell out. Music is an art and your amp is a MAJOR part of being a guitarist. They are prolly a bunch of Nerds! I would definetly not join a band that just "goes direct". Completely DEGRADING! Be yourself, don't sell out. Who cares if they get the gigs. If your good enough you can make your own gigs! That's what I said :)

funkycam

it's tough, but doable.
singers are normally really happy.
if you get a good mix & a bit more gain on dirt tones than you use with an amp @ gig volumes you can learn to deal.
if you have a bad mix it is beyond misery.
I have played in several large churches with all in ears & direct.
for 1 fly gig I played with a project, we got a great mix in soundcheck, came back for the gig after the opener & everything was distorted & levels were all wrong.
we barely made it through the gig & the other players were very very seasoned pros.

Cado

I feel like throwing up! Rock 'n' Roll in a controlled enviornment is Lounge music! If you have to live without a soul so you can eat, then I say God bless you & may better fortunes be around the corner. If this is not the case, pretty soon you'll find there is nothing left of that kid who first picked up a guitar and tapped into the power and glory of Rock 'n' Roll, and that will prove to be a very sad day indeed.

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I'Ve done it but I still like an amp behind me. When I was going direct though I used my head with a palmer so I still had the feel and Pretty much the same sound. I had my own monitor mix so I was still able to get feedback and all. all and all not a bad experience. It really did help the band have a tight, pro sounded mix.

mrface2112

I couldn't do it--going direct just seems to take some of the ass out of it. I can do it in the studio, depending, but live? no thanks. but if you can make it work, more power to ya!

cheers,
wade

mbratch

I'Ve done it but I still like an amp behind me. When I was going direct though I used my head with a palmer so I still had the feel and Pretty much the same sound. I had my own monitor mix so I was still able to get feedback and all. all and all not a bad experience. It really did help the band have a tight, pro sounded mix.
In our church we've mostly gone direct with headphones and Aviom systems for local mixes. I did the same thing: use an amp or amp head with a Palmer (PDI-09). But to disconnect the speaker, I send the output of the Palmer to a dummy load that I built. I can get an acceptable and inspiring sound in my headphones. I don't like it as much as a live amp or the "feel" of the whole band live, but I'm able to make it work well enough to enjoy the experience.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
There is a band that does this where I live; only the drummer plays the real thing. This is the crux of the matter: they're lazy and really don't care what they sound like, which, by the way, is pure shite. They get a lot of work playing classic Top 40, which would make me go insane. If they want L6 bean tone, more power to them. I wouldn't play unless I could use my rig, my way, but hey, that's me.

Steve73

The soundman will love you but good luck getting any energy happening, in my experience anyways.

axelfoley

Silver Supporting Member
It seems like most of you have the same feeling I do about it. I was wondering if I was being silly or unprofessional because I don't want to play without my full setup. Seems I am not alone.

Trending Topics