1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Think of the P-Rails?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Nerve, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to hear a pair in my PRS.

3. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

when will they hit the stores?

4. Dave

Dave Member

Pretty cool idea. I think they'll be tough to sell because people won't like the way they look. The looks don't bother me, I'm just sayin'.

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Maybe I won't sell my Warhawk HB after all -- these sound like lots of fun.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I want to try them for sure.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I'm interested. Might make the tone knob worth pulling in my McCarty.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

They're ugly, but I don't think I'll be able to avoid getting a set for one of my guits.

-Austin

9. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

It's great to see SD doing something innovative for a change, rather than the 78th version of a PAF.

I'd have to order them without the stupid logo, though.

10. davidp158

davidp158 Member

After watching the P-Rails demo video on the Seymour Duncan site, they appear to have the same problem as other splittable humbuckers - a big drop in volume and anemic, thin, screechy tone in single coil mode. A few people have commented that the pickups have some extra bass, but aren't muddy.

While I wouldn't expect a split humbucker to retain the same volume level, it seems the P-Rails design might offer some improvement. The idea of parallel/P-90/single coil combinations is very intriguing. I played a Grosh with a Fralin Unbucker bridge and 2 single coils (not sure what brand/model sc), and although the humbucking mode wasn't the greatest, the split to single coil was surprisingly good, and matched up very well with the 2 single coil pickups.

If anyone has info or sound clips, please respond.

thanks,
    Dave

11. cruster

cruster Member

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Not the best picture rushed to get the picture after putting the pickups in a couple months ago at least. They sound good very versatile. My favorite it the parallel humbucking tone. The series humbucking is very dark and fat sounding the single coil sounds are both decent. P-90 is fat and the Rail is pretty clear and clean and still has decent output, unfortunately they both have typical hum of a single coil.

[​IMG]

13. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Very cool Alex. Do you feel that the single captures that Fender single vibe, and the P90 the P90 vibe, etc? Also does anyone else have experience with this pickup?

14. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

ESP is putting them in one or two of their newer models

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I think it might very well in a poplar or maple body but that Mojo is all Mahogany so it is a bit too warm a tone for a fender sound.

16. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

What value pots are those designed for?

17. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I love Seymour Duncan, I think they are innovative and classic at the same time, and I have had several guitars fitted with their gear.

I kinda have to agree with the above take. Demo-ing it in an OLP Axis it was similar to the video. HB mode was kinda too thick, single mode felt more like a split HB than like a real single coil. P90 mode on the other hand felt pretty spot on. So I would say these are great for someone seeking a PRIMARILY a P90 tone, but seeking the ability to switch to thick HB sounds, and being able to "thin out" into spanky rhythms all in one guitar.

If that's your desire, a P90 tone with other options, then this is it.

18. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has gigged with the P-Rails for a few months and what their view is. I would think the various combinations would be fun to play with, but wonder how the pickups fare after someone has spent a lot of time with them.

I know a guy who has a Strat with a bridge and neck P-Rails installed, no middle pickup, rosewood fingerboard, not sure about the body wood. I've heard him play on two occasions; once through a Deluxe Reverb and another time through a Rivera Venus (5? 6?) combo. Both times I thought his tones were bit harsh, spikey and thin. I believe he always leaves his tone pots wide open, so he may prefer overly bright pickups. He usually avoids the bridge pickup most of the time, and I couldn't really detect when he was using different pickup combinations.