What do you think of this idea for quieting a high gain amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarInnovations, Feb 25, 2008.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Ok, so I've done a ton of tube-swapping in my time. Typically, I'm using lower gain circuits. When you put low gain preamp tubes in you can lose a good deal of volume and gain. Now the Fender Supersonic is silly loud and has a ****-ton of gain on tap. What if I load the drive channel preamp with really low gain tubes (12at7, 12ay7, 12au7)? It could considerably lower the volume and still have enough gain for low to medium gain rock tones with the gain dialed up to compensate the lower gain tubes.

Do you think this would be effective, or do you figure it would render the amp too lifeless to be useable?

2. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I have AT's in my tone master

Tons of gain on tap still

sounds great at that overdriven bassman tone, then spiked w/a good od

3. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I may leave the clean channel alone, but load up the overdrive channel with lower gain tubes.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I did the exact opposite. I put a 12AY7 in the V2(clean channel) and kept the 12AX7's in the V1 and V3 . With the dual gain controls I have no problem dialing back the gain on the dirty channel to almost clean however the clean channel is WAY too loud and overdriven by 2 on the knob. Putting a 12AY7 or even 12AU7 in the V2 fixes that nicely while not affecting the dirty channel which I think has plenty of control over its gain. Of coarse if I felt the need to mess with the dirty channels gain I'd slap a 5751 in the V3 or something. 12AT7's in place of a 12AX7 usually sound thinner. Bob

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

It does no harm to experiment, frankly I wouldn't bother trying the 12AT7 in the pre-amp (purely because I've had no success with them) the others will be fine, soundwise.

Best, Pete.

6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Really? Thanks for the tip.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Best thing is to try them out and see how you like them. In the Supersonic the V1 is the input and for both channels,V2 is clean channel only,v3 is the extra gain stages for the dirty channel. Like I said though my biggest gripe was how fast the clean channel started to get very loud and break up.The 12Ay7 fixed that nicely. Of coarse I like a lot of gain on tap so I rarely go the other way on my dirty channels. If I did i might try a 12AY7 in the V3 or a 5751. I'd probably try a 12AT7 too since I have a boatload of pre amp tubes around but they never sound as good to my ears- have fun,Bob