What do you think of this Les Paul type design?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Deed_Poll, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Hey guys,
    I'm just thinking about the body shape at the moment (I just grafted a neck on from another model); sort of a Les Paul meets L-5. I've always really liked the Venetian cutaway, and wondered how a Les Paul would look with one. I made the body a bit bigger, I guess I'd do it with a chambered body and f-holes. Anyways, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

2. shovelhead82

shovelhead82 Member

That is a beautiful looking guitar.

3. Young John

Young John Member

4. Paully1

Paully1 Member

First off, beautiful guitar?
    Next:
    How's about the bottom bout (horn) being pointier?

5. Ulug

Ulug Member

Looks very nice. It actually reminds me of a Carparelli model that I had tried once, and liked a lot. I think it was called the Ivory Tower.

6. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Looks very good. I would like it better if the toggle was where LP Standards are.

7. ibis

ibis Member

+1 on the toggle. It gives the top bout an aesthetic purpose. And it's where LP guys intuitively look. Stunning guitar. What's the heel like for upper fret access?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

8. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

That looks fairly similar to the guitar Artinger did for me. Needless to say I like it!
    [​IMG]

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

I think bigger bodies are an area not crowded by every custom builder. There are many 7/8 style builds, no 9 /8 builds.

I would make it thick with chambers but not semi hollow or f holed. The neck joint is another area to get right. A deep access neck joint without an exaggerated cutaway.

Cool guitar.

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

11. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Here's a little update - I've worked on getting a subtle recurve in the top carve, and generally brought it out a bit more. I also thought I'd have a go at rendering a LP Standard type scheme - I think the specularity map is a bit heavy at the moment, but hey! That's just what happens when super thin virtual finishes sink into the grain!

;)

[​IMG]

12. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really glad you're into it :)

Hey Paully, I know what you're saying, I think it's always going to look slightly "wrong" next to a Les Paul; or at least, we are always going to see the parts that are different from a Les Paul, and I am being mindful not to subconsciously take it in that direction so much. My main reason for trying this was a love of the Venetian cutaway on Gibson archtops like the L-5 and Byrdland, I've never much liked the pointier "Florentine" cutaway like on an ES-175 / 225, though I agree it looks totally right on a Les Paul. It seems that a bunch of the alternative single cuts out there go pointier, or else they adjust the radius on the end of the horn but not the character of the horn itself. I just thought I'd go the other way with this one and do a pastiche of those old archtop guitars.

I checked that out, they look cool indeed and I can definitely see the similarity. But those guitars seem quite a lot squarer to me more like an old '30s Epiphone archtop. I've attempted to keep some of the pleasing roundness of the butt of the guitar like you would get on a Les Paul. The shape is based on a precisely calculated mean-curve of a Les Paul and L-5 shape, then I've just scaled down the L-5 cutaway to fit. I've tinkered with the curvature quite a lot as the average was leaning further towards the L-5 shape, but I've kept the non-cutaway curve a bit closer in shape to the L-5 to balance the cutaway. It's almost an L-5 above the waist and a Les Paul below the waist, but in a size that sits right between the two.

You two might be right about the toggle. I will be sure to try that out. The reason I put the toggle down there was because the lower bout of the guitar is quite a lot larger than a Les Paul, so there was a fair bit of negative space between the pickguard and the knobs that was bugging me. I might try extending the pickguard further towards the knobs like a 335 to balance this out a bit when I put the switch on the upper bout.

Ibis, I will be working on making the heel suitable for upper fret access. It would be bad at the moment like a Les Paul, but I have a plan to do some kind of Supro-style chamfer on the back of the cutaway. I haven't tried modelling it yet but I'll post pics when I do. I also quite like Nik Huber's approach, it will most likely be just the treble side of the neck that continues into the cutaway.

Having said that, the actual point at which the horn meets the neck is higher on the fretboard than on a Les Paul despite the chunky appearance of the cutaway, so with a little ingenuity I'm thinking fret access could be very good.

Very cool! I definitely see the similarity, particularly on the non-cutaway horn shape. It looks a tad flatter on yours & mine, like a J-200 almost. I really like the treble horn shape on that guitar, it reminds me of Gil Yaron's 'Bone' model. But like I said before, I'm really trying to get some of the more arc-like roundness of a true Venetian cut on this design, so it's still a bit different from that sort of thing, which is done (and done well) already.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think you're right, especially with the sunburst it really isn't crying out for an f-hole.

Agreed on the point you make on 7/8 vs 9/8 scaled shapes. Most big guitars are hollows, and are very deep and a different sort of thing. I think there are plenty of people out there who would want a slightly larger but not necessarily much heavier true solid body in the Les Paul vein, that could just as easily be used for similar applications as a 335 or smaller jazzy / funky crossover semi. In fact, I have a Kauer Daylighter (fantastic guitar) that has a really light and airy quality about the sound and feel, despite being a solid body. That's made from Spanish Cedar, so that might be a good choice. Work on modelling the neck joint is in progress!

Cheers all,

Dan