what do you think? (pedal stacking)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by what?, Jun 24, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

Hey guys I just saw the video of my band's performance doing an original song. I used a mosferatu as my main od and kick it up with fulldrive 2 for solo in this song. I've had always thought fulldrive to be a bit on the dull side as od pedal, but listening to my solo I thought it's awsome as a booster for my mosferatu. I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

From this experience I'd say I will always put my mosferatu at the end of my od chain to preserve the mos tone that I like. Is this how everyone doing it?

2. erksin

erksin Member

When I had a Mos, I put it at the end of my chain because having before other ODs was too noisy - I prefer having the OD with the most EQ flexibility last, FWIW...

3. what?

what? Member

do you put the ones with most flexible EQ last to shape the stcked tones?cos I really like the EQ-ing of my mos

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, that's the idea. I used to use an EQ (MXR, GE-7, etc..) for that purpose till I discovered some of the cool new boosters/ODs out there. You get your final tone shaping (along w/feedback control, if need be) and another gain stage, while leaving room for more pedals.

I haven't used the Fulldrive or the Mos, but I usually prefer going hi-gainers into lo-gainers for a couple of other reasons - fuzzes like to be first (or as close to the guitar as possible) and I generally get less noise & a tighter sound placing my distortion before my overdrive.

But every time I get a new pedal I pretty much rip the board apart and reconfigure for the best sound w/the lowest noise floor. And sometimes I end up going lo into hi, depending on how the new one stacks.

Trust your ears What?!:D

5. erksin

erksin Member

Yes, that's it basically.

Right now, I'm running CoT50 Red>Antelope MDEQ>MI Blue Boy>Timmy - I like having the MDEQ sandwiched between the CoT and the BB because it can help tame the CoT's high end when I want to, and push the BB with some beefy mids and low end to really chunk it up. The Timmy is last because EVERYTHING sounds good running into it - including the MDEQ.

6. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I never had much luck stacking low gain pedals after high gain pedals. Then I had Robert Keeley mod my Sparkledrive. I got good results from that, and then I tried an AC Booster and got better results. I finally got a Timmy, and I'm totally happy. The Timmy sounds great with my London II, Crunchbox, and uhhh, my OTHER Timmy.

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

hey brother rob! has the crunchbox kicked the KOB off yer board? ya like the crunchbox huh? i jes got a xotic BB preamp, and a donneR box cactus
    crunch from george @ pedalworx, i'm stunned! got all the bases covered!
    aldo..............:D

tell valvey:moon

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I'm running mine through a rack looper basically clean to dirtiest. RC,TB83,Klon,Cot,Tim,Eternity,Tube Driver...

9. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Actually the KOB is long gone, I replaced it with an original Barber Burn Unit, which I like enough to keep, but it doesn't have the drive that the Crunchbox does. I'm still thinking about a BB. That might be something that could kick the Crunchbox off my current board.

I talked to valvey last weekend. He hasn't come out to any of my gigs since his wife got pregnant. I think he might be whipped...:Spank