What do you think the most sold pedal is? (the one that gets turned over the most)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eskimo_Joe, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I think it would be fasinating to know what pedal gets turned over the most per capita?

(made up numbers for illustration only)

For example: 200 Fulltone OCD's might sell in the forum per year. Let's say there's 10,000 of them out there in the world.

200/10,000 = 2%

Whereas, there may be 40 D*A*M Drag 'N Fly's that get sold in the forum in a year, but there is only 500 of them in existence.

40/500 = 8%

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

3. analogic

analogic Member

Yeah, in all honesty, it's likely either a TS9 or DS-1

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Agree with the other two, and maybe the TU-2 and Crybaby as well.

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

TS9.

I've bought and sold 10. yes, 10! I just kept coming back. I finally invested in a few first issue ones from the early 80s and kept the ONE I liked the most. I now can't gig without it.

But because I'm sure others are like me, many sell the ts9, then realize they miss what it does.

7. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I guessing it is not a pedal where there are over a million out there, like a DS-1 or TS9....way to many for the percentages to work.

How about one of my favorite pedals.

The Shannon Ember

I've seen 6 of them on the market just on TGP in the last 6 months (I bought 2 of them myself).

Since only 30 were made....that 20% right there. GREAT pedal, but I think it is one of these kinds of low production runs that is going to have the highest percentage.

Just my guess.

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Well, if you count that, then the couple one-off / customs jobs I have bought/sold are 100% on the first resale.

9. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Might have to make some terms as to limits. A one-off/custom build by nature probably shouldn't count.

The Ember was an OD from a line of pedals. (as Eric said, the last pedal from his line).

Not sure it should be included either, but it wasn't a one-off or custom build type of pedal.

We will never get real world data on this, but I thought the Ember made a pretty good example given what I've seen.

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Right - murky waters ;)

I had assumed the OP meant readily available pedals, non-boutique stuff, but I had no grounds for that assumption.

11. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

As great of a pedal as it is, I can't think of a pedal more commonly found on the emporium than PaulC's Timmy. I'd go as far as to say there's one available at every hour of every day throughout the year...

12. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Honestly, I see probably 3-4 OCDs daily in the emporium. That's my guess.

13. PaulC

PaulC Member

But without knowing how many I sell every hour of every day you can't figure out a per capita percentage. Also how many being sold were bought just to flip vs how many were sold because they didn't like it... That would matter in this topic.

PaulC
    Tim/Timmy pedals
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

14. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Completely agree Paul - I'm definitely not implying that it is a reflection of peoples opinion of the Timmy. I'd say it's more a function of the flippers rather than people that don't like it.

15. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Paul, I bet half of the pedals you build are never even played by the original owner... Too bad, they are missing out!

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Half? No way. Most that buy them are at least going to plug it in to see what the fuss is about....these are being bought by guitar players after all (its not like Paul C has an order page up and your random scalper is trying to get rich off him).

Most that buy at least try it out, even if there is no real intention of keeping it.

17. PaulC

PaulC Member

There was a guy last week that called and wanted 10 pedals. I asked him why 10 and he came right out and said he was going to sell them on craigslist. At least he was honest... I've also had several guys say they wanted them for friends only to see them put them all up on ebay one right after the other.

there are those that get both the Tim and Timmy to see which one they want, and instead of returning the one they don't they sell it to pay for the one they keep.

Without going into the moral stuff about flipping one of the side effects is it inflates the number people see for resale, and then it opens up the products to be talked about in threads like this one. It gives a false impression of the product which can harm the reputation of the business.

PaulC
    Tim/Timmy pedals
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

18. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

DS-1 followed closely by the SD-1 and the Metal Zone has to be in the top ten. Actually, I bet the top 10 is mostly Boss pedals, they have sold the most pedals on earth.

19. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

but it's the most traded as a % of those built.

so it has to be something that a lot of people will try and immediately sell

I'd go DS-1 too. That seems like a pedal that may find 3 or 4 new homes per year

20. Madsen

Madsen Member

are all Big Muffs lumped together? or are we separating out each model?