What do you use: Amps overdrive or a pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Do you play your amp pretty clean and then kick on an overdrive or distortion pedal?

Or do you play your amp cranked up until the natural od kicks in.

2. Don L

Don L Member

I do both.

1. BF Fender amps with OD pedals

2. Marshally amp with master volume 'cause I can't crank too
    loud

Did #1 for about 3 years, then switched to #2 for the past year. Both are great for different settings.

3. Antero

Antero Member

Both! Silvertone 1484, which gets that nice almost-distortion when I turn up, and then a fuzz pedal for the serious distortion... or a fuzz pedal with the gain all the way down when I want overdrive at low volumes.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I like a little of both.

5. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I like to run an amp that is overdriving slightly. I roll guitar volume back for clean and stomp on a pedal or 2 for more drive.

6. JimRayden

JimRayden Member

That's me. :) I like to turn my tube amp to the sweet spot, use it carefully with guitar volume and then blast it into distortion with a boost pedal.

-----------
    Jimbo

7. SteveR

SteveR Member

Clean amp w/ pedals.

I keep telling myself that one day I want to experiment with cranking the amp and riding the guitar volume, but so far, I continue to be lazy and rest on what I've been doing for so long :mad:

Steve

8. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

Amp only. I have a great sounding channel switcher that I run with the clean channel set for mild breakup which cleans up completely by backing off the guitars volume. The OD channel is set so I can go from slightly more dirt than the clean channel maxed with the guitar volume down to about "3", and from there roll it up to as much grind as I want.

I've never found a pedal that sounds as good a great amp OD, though some amps like BF Fenders can't get enough OD without one.

9. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    On gigs my channel-switchers sound and FEEL a bit better than my pedalboard/clean amp rig. The amps respond better to playing and volume control dynamics.

Pedals include Keeley Blues Dr, Menatone Blue Collar and Red Snapper, OCD, superbly gnarley Blackstone Mosfet, Tonebone Brit and probably more somewhere around here.

Jeff

10. rooster

rooster Member

I use my amp's clean. Then I use my amp's overdrive. When I want a louder lead, I punch in my amp's second master volume on the overdrive channel. That's all.

rooster.

11. Betos

Betos Member

Komet Connie, and the volume knob on the guitar.

Done.

Betos

12. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I use both.

The Fuchs ODS 50 and the guitar's volume / tone controls offer so many shades between clean and mean it's silly! I use a CJOD as both an overdrive pedal and a lead boost pedal.

Sick tones! Happy Deaj :dude

13. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I use both for my setup.

My Fargen Epic 30 DC does it all for me. The clean channel is a great platform for my CJOD pedal (which I use for fusion - smooth leads). The overdrive channel is like a roaring Marshall JTM-45, so the only thing I like adding to it is the overdrive part of my Pro Analog Dual Drive for singing leads and a bit of volume boost.

14. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Both. Depends on the situation. Mostly I use a pedal.

jeffhef

15. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

I sold my Top Hat distortion/boost pedal two years ago with the intention of replacing it with a Fulltone Distortion Pro and never did. Meanwhile, I haven't really missed having a distortion or overdrive pedal. I just keep my non-channel switching amp a little bit above the 'sweet spot' and get clean tones by adjusting my attack, switching pickups and/or rolling back the volume. For boosting solos, I use an MXR microamp.

16. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I am using both although I am using up to 3 od pedals with 3 different amps in different stuations for different textures. Only the Boogie DC-5 LEAD CHANNEL got the most work. I want to simplify things though and get one main amp with one main boost /od pedal

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

All natural amp distortion. I find that pedals seem to make amps disappear. I do have a Tim and Klon but no OD pedals on my live board. My live amps are 2 Bruno Super 100s and a Komet 60. The Brunos have cool clean to scream tones and the Komet is set for a more vintage lead tone.

18. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I've tried many many OD/distortion boxes on a few amazing sounding clean amps and none come close to the real thing (ie - tube distortion).

19. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Amp guy here, I love the tones of my Rivera Knucklehead, and I've liked the tones of Marshalls, Boogies, Soldanos, and other heads I've heard, so I've never really wanted to mess with distortion pedals.

Plus, I've heard some pedal/clean amp setups, and while I think that's a great platform for fusion-y, bluesy tones, it's not quite for me.

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I use the amp for as much as possible. Mainly because I get what I want that way and don't end up using pedals a lot. Tonebone pedals are really nice, though.