What do you use: Amps overdrive or a pedal

Badger71

Gotta say both, but it also depends on the situation/music style. My bases are pretty covered for all styles so I can live without pedals, but I do like have some colors on the pallete to create different shades and textures.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
I like to play through an amp that is slightly overdriven, and clean it up with picking changes and guitar volume changes.

LaXu

Amp overdriven (with it's own boost or without it) and a pedal set for clean boost or a little bit of it's own distortion to kick it up a notch. Sometimes I use both the amp's boost and a pedal at the same time. I use the volume control and how hard I pick to go to clean tones usually.

I've never liked pedals into a clean amp or pedals that are supposed to provide all the distortion.

hasserl

It depends on which amp I'm using. If I'm using a single channel amp or non-channel switcher, then I like to set the amp to at least 7 for a good drive and roll the guitar volume back to clean it up, then roll it back up for the dirt, and add a pedal or two to push it for more dirt.

If I'm using a channel switcher I'll set one channel for clean tones and the other for dirt, and get most of the OD I need just from the amp. I still might push the front end occasionally if needed.

For pedals I use a clean boost (either a modified LPB1 or a SD Pickup Booster) or a TS9, or both.

John Phillips

Both - or actually 'all three' - depending on what type of sound and music style I want.

IMO for traditional 'rock' overdrive, there's no pedal I've ever heard which is as good as tube amp distortion. So if I want that type of tone I'll use a MV or usually a channel-switching amp. (Actually, I prefer preamp to power-stage distortion for that kind of sound. Many people don't realise that a lot of classic non-MV amps in fact get most of their tone from preamp distortion anyway.)

If I want more of a lo-fi grungy/alt type of sound, I'll use a pedal (fuzz or distortion, not overdrive) into a clean amp, specifically to not sound like an amp.

I'm now finding I like the combination of power-stage overdrive (with attenuator if necessary) on a nearly-clean amp, and a distortion pedal too. It's still not the same type of tone as the first one though. Maybe it would be if I used an overdrive pedal, but then I'd be back into thinking that a MV amp sounded better ;).

I just think it's a bit odd to supposedly prefer 'natural non-MV power stage distortion' and then use a solid-state pedal to push the amp far enough to get it... and I know someone who'll agree with me ;). It's whether you like the tone that matters, not how you get there. Each to their own, whatever works for you...

ABKB

Originally posted by loverocker
Amp.

Having to use pedals for overdrive is Nature's way of telling you that you bought the wrong amp. :)
Lol, I will agree with that loverocker. There are some good distortion and OD boxes out there that will work in a pinch, but, they just never seem to sound (to my ears anyway) as good as a nice amp OD. So I use amps with at least 2 channels so I dont have to fight with volume adjustments all day long. But what I will do is use a OD for a boost on solos.

jeffhef

Originally posted by ABKB
Lol, I will agree with that loverocker. There are some good distortion and OD boxes out there that will work in a pinch, but, they just never seem to sound (to my ears anyway) as good as a nice amp OD. So I use amps with at least 2 channels so I dont have to fight with volume adjustments all day long. But what I will do is use a OD for a boost on solos.
I'll agree that nothing beats power tubes pushed over. But I do use pedals cos they're easier to control in my situation. And...some pedals are sounding pretty cool these days. Ahh let's face it...I love pedals almost as much as amps and guitars.

One thing I DON'T like is preamp distortion. To me it sounds thin and brittle. But that's just me. I like a fat full overdrive with plenty of chunk and girth.

Like my women. :dude

Nobody send this to my wife. You heard me TD.

jeffhef

tonedaddy

Originally posted by GAT
All natural amp distortion. I find that pedals seem to make amps disappear. I do have a Tim and Klon but no OD pedals on my live board. My live amps are 2 Bruno Super 100s and a Komet 60. The Brunos have cool clean to scream tones and the Komet is set for a more vintage lead tone.
Let's give it up for GAT, people!!

In a world of "You need to turn that down!" clubs and 6 watt practice amps, GAT strikes me as a man who knows what he wants in tone, is willing to haul it to make it happen, and is not afraid to use it!

Here's to you, GAT!!
:dude :dude :dude

tonedaddy

Originally posted by jeffhef
One thing I DON'T like is preamp distortion. To me it sounds thin and brittle. But that's just me. I like a fat full overdrive with plenty of chunk and girth.

Like my women. :dude

Nobody send this to my wife. You heard me TD.
I ain't sayin' nuthin.....
:D

oldgtarz

Both depending on the amp I use.
Non-Master volume amps like my '64 SR and Plexi Marshall with overdrive pedal, the channel switching amps like my Koch Multitone and Marshall 6101 without pedal.

rawkguitarist

I prefer my TopHat with a nice rhythm crunch and then kick it with more gain from a good OD.

BUT, for gigs I use my amp set clean. I use an Eternity for low to meduim gain, a Keeley RAT or Tonebone Classic for medium to higher gain stuff.

I like to show up to gigs with the least amount of gear possible. One amp, a medium size pedal board, one guitar. This setup allows that. ;)

Chiba

Amp, and roll off the guitar volume for clean tones.

I also use a clean boost pedal for solos, but the one I have can be set to do clean (volume) boost only w/no added distortion from the pedal - that's the way I like it!

--chiba

Tag

Amp.

Having to use pedals for overdrive is Nature's way of telling you that you bought the wrong amp. :)
That is exactly what I said for 20 years, and still for the most part agree. But then I found a Bruno UG 30 and a Fulldrive and Mudhoney pedal. No more natural tube overdrive needed for me. I like it even more than my Emerald Pro and Fuchs tube overdriven sounds and feel. :eek:

Deaj

Silver Supporting Member
Amp.

:dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

John Phillips

Originally posted by aarondavis
I like to show up to gigs with the least amount of gear possible. One amp, a medium size pedal board, one guitar. This setup allows that. ;)
Same here... that's exactly why I use a channel-switching amp for gigs. I'm not sure if you'd call my pedalboard 'medium' size (I would, although I think some people would call it large) but it doesn't have any overdrive pedals on it.

I think I'm now sure that I like:

•Channel-switching amps
•Completely clean amps with a preamp-type pedal
•Mildly overdriven amps with a distortion pedal - where the pedal is adding a lot more dirt, some EQ and not much more volume

And don't like:

•Single-channel amps with a boost pedal or an overdrive set to boost level more than dirt. Especially not one that is 'transparent'.

Yes, I know the last one is what everyone else seems to be looking for... ;)

hasserl

Originally posted by John Phillips
And don't like:

•Single-channel amps with a boost pedal or an overdrive set to boost level more than dirt. Especially not one that is 'transparent'.

Yes, I know the last one is what everyone else seems to be looking for... ;)
Hey, to each their own! It would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same things. You've got to go with what works for you, not what is popular.

Obey your ears! ;)

Trending Topics