• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What do you use: Amps overdrive or a pedal

GasMask

Originally posted by John Phillips

I just think it's a bit odd to supposedly prefer 'natural non-MV power stage distortion' and then use a solid-state pedal to push the amp far enough to get it...
yeah! :dude

Beer

I'm never satisfied with pedals as my total source of distortion. I only like O.D.'s to push an already fairly overdriven amp for blues solos. For rock or anything heavier than blues, I really prefer amplifier distortion.

My experience has mostly been with master volume amplifiers though, and I'm very picky about volume levels. I enjoy playing loud for short periods just to amuse myself, but I want gig volumes to be tolerable which, because most places have cramped stages and small rooms, is a pretty low level. I bought a dB meter recently, just out of curiousity, and plan on measuring at sound checks and various times thoughout a gig just to see what levels I'm really subjecting myself to.

Scooter

Silver Supporting Member
I always prefer amp distortion (not preamp distortion) to pedals, but in the current cover band situation I'm in I need to be able to cover all of the territory between pristine clean to all out distortion. I simply haven't found a way to do that without setting up my amp for clean and using pedals for dirt. I actually love the sound of my Maz set to clean anyway, so it isn't so bad. But I'd be intersted to hear how people in similar situations cover high-headroom clean to nice and dirty using one amp without pedals. Setting my amp to a sweet spot and backing off on the volume just doesn't yield that same type of clean headroom that I like. I suppose the ideal is to use two amps.

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in a situation where I can't play loud anymore. Well, rarely, very rarely.

So with the exception of 1, maybe two higher gain amps, I'm switching to mainly clean amps and pedals ....

I wouldn't have considered this in the old days.... pedals just plain sounded small, small, small, and tinny, and well, I didn't like 'em. These days there are so many killer pedals, that sound like an amp, that it's forced me to reconsider all the loud gainy amps. Several of them just sold, I'm down to the CAA OD-100, my Cameron Marshall, and the proto Jade. The Jade is pretty good at low volume. The OD-100 is not, neither is the Cameron ....

I'll go back to loud amps, and ditch the pedals, when the job and life changes allow it.

loverocker

Originally posted by MikeyG
I'm in a situation where I can't play loud anymore. Well, rarely, very rarely.

So with the exception of 1, maybe two higher gain amps, I'm switching to mainly clean amps and pedals ....
Now that's a non-sequitur if ever I saw one :eek:

Like you, I hardly ever play loud, but I'd never let that stop me from getting the amp tone I actually want. There are plenty of solutions (Guytron, London Power, "nano-amps", PPI MVs, attenuators, Palmer/dummy load slaving, etc) without having to admit defeat and reach for a bl**dy stompbox.

I will acknowledge that the stompbox is an easy solution. :)

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
Well, my Hot Brit and Tube Zone into my Trem Cat have the OD I want ... moreso than the Guytron FV's natural OD, which I'm currently selling ....

There are a few really great Masters for low volume amp overdrive, the Peters JP-50 is great, the Rockerverb 50 is great, my Wizard was the best at 100 watts.

For me, it's boiling down to wasting money on big watt high gainers that I can't crank up. Not the same issues as a gigging musician. On stage I'm sure I'd prefer natural amp OD to pedals ... but haven't made it out of the bedroom yet :)

The Whiz

I like my amp to be mildly overdriving on its own at that point where pickup choice, guitar volume level and attack can cross between clean and gritty distortion. A boost/overdrive like a ZVex Super Duper will take me further into distortion and a fuzz (in my case a Fulltone 70) will take me into old school high gain.

So, I like both together.

taco

tybone

If someone else is schleping the gear, I will bring a Twin Reverb for cleans, a Lightning for more aggressive rhythm passages and and Opal or a 18 Watt for lead tone. This doesn't happen much.

For one amp gigs I will use the Opal and Blues Driver.

macula56

Just Passin' Thru
Gold Supporting Member
a bassman that i rebuilt which has a nice warm tone and a few different overdrive pedals that allow me to get a lot of cool tones. i also have a '73 Marshall 50 watter that's beautiful all by itself. just too loud.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom