What do you use chorus for?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amstrtatnut, Jun 13, 2019.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

My dance band wants to learn some 80s songs. I may put the chorus to use there. To me its a pretty dated sound.

What do you guys use it for?

2. Riffa

Riffa Member

Your dance band doesn't know any 80s songs? :D

Anyway, I like it either very subtle for a bit of motion or faster, leslie-sounding for jazzy stuff. I'm not keen on that 80s sound.

andrekp, yawiney, jamester and 3 others like this.
  3. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Dang just about everything ;) but seriously I don't use a lot of huge wash chorus but subtle chorus gets used a lot (I got my first electric in 82 so...) - songs with 12 string I'll drop some chorus on my 6 string to get a little more modulation like you get on a 12 - it's not perfect but in a live setting is a nice touch (to use Paul Gilbert's quote "it's more stylish"!). I use a touch of it on a bunch of cleaner tone songs, and sometimes with overdrive when playing something like Queen to get a bit more of a full sound that May got by using a lot of double tracked guitars. Again not perfect but the effect does create a bit of swirl that with a compressed drive sound is pleasing.

4. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

5. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

In the "what do you play when you gig" thread I stated disco. The goal is to do dance music from 70s to current that six white dudes in their 40s to 60s can pull off. So, we are learning some 80s stuff among other shtuff.

Riffa likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I don't use it much any more. When I did, it was mainly to broaden and brighten arpeggiated parts.

yawiney and amstrtatnut like this.
  7. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

to Cure what ails me

HesNot, Not Orange, esizer and 17 others like this.
  8. eltorrero

eltorrero Member

I use it for Def Leppard’s Hysteria and love bites songs and mainly the early 80’s ballad thing (Boss CE2W). I also use boss DC2W in stereo for Europe - Skid row etc type. Once I had the Mxr Analog chorus, I used it for fattening my sound on some songs.

DonP and amstrtatnut like this.
  9. EON371

EON371 Member

Pat Benatar! Dated sound or not, gotta have it

Not Orange, DonP, lefort_1 and 2 others like this.
  10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

What songs? Ive played hit me for years. I dont hear chorus on it. I learned heartbreaker but never performed it. I dont hear chorus there either.

11. EON371

EON371 Member

The use of chorus in the verses for "Hell is for Children" is what immediately came to mind

amstrtatnut and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  12. HughesP

HughesP Member

Chorus is just the sound of some parts / songs. Dated - for sure (though it's also making a comeback these days because it evokes those 80s pop vibes).

Use it where it makes sense, don't use it all of the time. At least that's my approach...

Liquid Quarter likes this.
  13. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Used to use for some spatial depth, very low setting, but now with the newer delay and verb pedals not really needed. Not on the board.

The chorus sits on the old pedal shelf.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  14. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Jokes aside, I like using my M234 for a bit of subtle motion, particularly on bass. The M234’s low/high cut controls are very useful - I’m surprised they aren’t on more chorus/flanger pedals.

Redrum likes this.
  15. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

I use chorus on ballads, especially on arpeggiated chords.
    Occasionally I’ll use it with overdrive and delay on a solo.

Back in the mid 80s I was a sideman in a country band, and when the leader of the band heard chorus, he tried to have me leave it on all the time...lol....it was the 80s after all.

HesNot, amstrtatnut and Jazzmaster60 like this.
  16. guff

guff Member

Mostly cleanish stereo spread

17. Ghast

Ghast Member

I use a deeper, lush chorus for some clean ambient parts in the set. I have a second, faster, kinda seasick setting that I use for some diminshed leads, just to make things even more unsettling.

But then again, I play death metal, so I may not be the target audience here.

hoffmanj, amstrtatnut and thomas4th like this.
  18. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I like to use chorus with cleaner tones just to give it a little bit thicker sound with some movement, it keeps the cleaner parts from sounding so boring. But I don't use it in the over-the-top 80s way, I prefer it to be a bit more subtle...like just enough to notice it's there, but not so much that it's all you hear.

19. markmann

markmann Member

i used to think it sounded dated but I found that if I use it subtly it can thicken the sound without really being noticed

twisty571, 65ChampAmp, Madsen and 6 others like this.
  20. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I have an old green label CE-2 on my board, really only use it for 80's stuff with my cover band. I grew up in the 80's so the CE-2 is just the sound of chorus to me.

HesNot, Jazzmaster60 and monty like this.