what do you use for lights at shows?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kooshball, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

a year or so ago I invested in a chauvet 4 bar and light stand.
    It turned out to be a great investment because even though its a humble set up it added a lot to the shows I feel.

I'd like to get more pieces but not sure what's the best route to take and if I should go the way of a DMX controller. Very new to this

what does your band use? what are some good products?

2. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

Lights do make a big difference.

Our keyboard player/singer bought a nice set of lights. Four banks of lights on each side of the stage. LED with a DMX controller. Very bright and adds color and the LED's are not hot. I think he spent about a grand on it though. The bass player and I have carried the burden on PA gear so her went in for the lights.

3. modulusman

modulusman Member

4. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

those pars were something i thought of adding. possibly get the 4 bar in the back of stage pointing out and 2 par cans on the sides going up and in.

5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I have a bunch of blizzard 3NX for wash lights, Blizzard Fab5's to light the band and some movers. They are 3 years old now, and the technology has progressed.

If I were to do it today, I'd be looking at either Blizzard Hotbox RGBAW for wash lights and the band, or ADJ Dotz Pars for the rear truss. They are what's called COB lighting (chip on board) they look like a traditional bulb but have a lens on on them.

The hotbox is a nice fixture and smaller than the blizzard puck style (3NX, Fab5 etc) the washes and the front lights are the most important. I use a software controller DMXIS which is easy to program and allows foot control via MIDI (I use a Behringer FCB1010) or an iPad with some fiddling, or a simple foot switch.

Makes a big difference. I believe these are 1 fab5 per side, mounted on top of the speakers.

Even just front lights on the band makes all the difference:

vs

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. loudboy

loudboy Member

An American DJ Profile on each side up front, and a pair of Blizzard Pucks for upwash in back. Works fine for cheap club gigs.

7. mge80

mge80 Member

8. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member