What do you use to boost your Time-Based loop back to Unity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jahn, May 12, 2015.

1. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Here was my answer:

https://thegenerationofmusic.wordpr...i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-klon/

I've tried the EP-Boost in the past, and also a straight up mini-buffer. No go. The Klon KTR? That's the ticket. I might feel a bit guilty having it play such a background role at the prices it used to go for, but not any longer. So far, this is the winner to cut through the goop blanket formed by layers of chorus, vibrato, tremolo, flanger and delay - and all old bucket brigadey analog effects at that.

And this, through a Hello Kitty Squire Strat into a Fender Bronco (albeit a drip edge silverface Fender Vibro Champ in disguise).

[​IMG]

So how about you all? Stuff like the TIM and RAT I keep for chugging away at overdriven parts when the modulation/time-based stuff is out of the loop, boosting each other and the amp to bits. That little black box at the beginning is the mini buffer that used to anchor the modulation loop.

2. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

I use my KTR the exact same way, to boost my vintage DMM and Maestro Stage Phaser back to unity:

[​IMG]

3. WillLane

WillLane Member

I've never heard about this kind of thing, boosting an effects loop chain to unity. I don't feel like I have any problems with loudness levels from the loop, but "cutting through the goop" is something I'd like to work with.

What exactly is happening here? What are the Klons doing exactly in this case? If making the loop "louder" does that help with clarity? I don't want to drive the power tubes too hard. Would an EQ do the same thing?
    Nice Flux Capacitor delay. c:

4. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Thanks. Fun pedal.

Well, in my case, the Maestro Stage Phaser is one of my favorite pedals I've ever played. It's just a very musical, inspiring pedal for me. But trying to incorporate it into my rig, I found it not only to be a major tone suck, but also to be stealing volume. My first solution was to stick it into True Bypass loop to keep it out of my chain most of the time, but that wasn't solving my volume drop when I clicked it on in certain points in a song. After experimenting with the KTR all over my board, I finally settled for it near the beginning of my chain because it was a quality buffer. But I also found it advantageous to be able to boost the Maestro Stage Phaser when engaged back to unity. As far as cutting through the goop? I don't really know about that, I rarely have more than one or two modulation effects going at the same time. BUT, I do know that specifically when the Maestro is engaged, it counteracts the volume by boosting the signal and the tone suck by enhancing the mids that were otherwise lost.

I have a couple of vintage pedals that come on and off my board at various times. The KTR being at the beginning of my chain like that always allows me the luxury to boost them up or not if neccessary.

That's how I'm using it at least, can't speak for the op.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Same function, yep. The KTR helps both with the volume suck and the tone suck. I have my volume all the way up, the gain just a smidge up, and the treble just enough to cut through the goop. It's always on since it lives in the bypass loop. By letting the Klon do the unity gain work, it frees the DMM and CE-1 from having to do so (which they suck at doing, literally).