What do you use to record/VIDEO cam your band at a gig

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JasonAz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

I used the powershot elph 300 and the bass/low end is all garbley and distorted. I was excisted to record yeterdays gig and I come home to this crap.
    1. does anyone have any experince with the same camera(i had it on the 680 setting)
    2. what is a better camera for this..

2. chris k

chris k Member

Zoom Q3 or Q3HD

Sweetwater has the Q3 for $95

3. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

$95? and thats good ? my cam was like $175

4. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

is there a huge difference between q3hd and q3. i may wanna spend the extra 100
    i also hear flipcam hd is good....

5. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

6. jsa61

jsa61 Member

Just bought the Q3, very happy with the quality of the audio.

7. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

hows the differnce in audio from the q3 and q3hd though..
    Theres no reason my canon should sound like a cell phone recording.... maybe if i up the quality from 680 to 1920 itll be just as good as the zoom?

8. chris k

chris k Member

It the Q3 was $299 when it came out, its just been replaced the HD version (Q3HD).

I'm not really sure I follow your logic that a point and shoot camera probably with a single low end piezo mic would have better audio than a pair of onboard condensor mics. I couldn't even find specs for audio on the canon elph 300 tech specs page:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/..._cameras/powershot_elph_300_hs#Specifications

9. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I really like mine, the difference I noticed is there actually is bass on the recording. Maybe it's overloading the mics?

10. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

so now either i might see how 1920p sounds on my canon... or get the q3 with the condenser mics. hmmm

11. chris k

chris k Member

720p, 1080p, 1920p are video quality differences...but every one of those formats will all use the same crappy mic and will the same crappy sound.

Video quality and audio quality are two diffferent things and sorry, but your elph will not have any decent and useable audio IMO.

So your options are run a separate mic/recorder with your elph to capture the audio and video or get the Q3/Q3HD (or equivalent..Alesis makes something similar) that has good video. Even if you had a $1000 camera it would be wise to use a quality external mic to record the audio because built in camera mics are just not designed for audio quality. Just look at you local news...those HD cameras they use are worth thousands of dollars but the reporters always have a handheld mic for a reason.

12. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

so the general consensus is 'sell the elph and get the q3" for better audio then? audio more important to me than video

13. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

how many hours of video can i get with a 16 gig card on the q3? so i hear it doesnt use rechargable battery eh? just aaa's? i suppose i can live with that