What does a BBE Sonic Maximizer do?

Bentayuk

I came across a BBE Sonic Stomp earlier, and was wondering what it does exactly?

For my understanding, it appears to boost the low and high frequencies...?

WillLane

It aligns your bass and treble frequencies so they come out the guitar speaker at the same time. Also allows boost of those frequencies. In short, nothing you need but if you have the space and the $ (find it used) go for it.

Bentayuk

I can't imagine I'd need it. Between my tight high gain dirt on my amps, and then boosted by my OD808. But I do have space on my board...

guitarzdude

run one in a true bypass loop and you will be surprised with how much it takes away from your original signal before it "maximizes" anything

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
In a nutshell it seems to keep the mids from blending together with the highs and lows, without actually making the mids less loud.

I've got the BBE 462 rackmount and also the DOD version of the pedal, but the DOD pedal doesn't have the bass control like the BBE has. The rackmount I like either on mixes, or on FOH vocals to help them stand out from the instruments. You have to make sure the vocal in the monitors doesn't go through it though because feedback seems to start easier with it.

The pedal I like better for piezo into the mixing board than I do on electric guitar. Maybe on electric it would work better in an insert between preamp and power amp.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
It's a harmonic enhancer with some EQ. "What's harmonic enhancement?", you say- You can read the scientific explanations but the explanation I like is, you know how you really like the sound you get when you add a bunch of reverb onto a guitar? Imagine that, but without the time decay that allows the sound to follow after you stop playing.

JonSick

Personally I like mine. It adds a "something" to the sound. I can't quite explain it. It's definitely a set it and forget it pedal though.

I like mine before my Marshall heads generally. Anything 6L6 based I use it in the loop.

But the reality is, it's not the most necessary thing in the world.

Caprica

According to BBE it does this

Upgrade everything with the all-analog Sonic Stomp, the one piece of gear which improves the performance of your whole rig. And now, the MS-92 lets players with pedal boards have all the benefits of a Sonic Stomp with about half the space than the SS-92 due to new circuit topography and elimination of the battery compartment.

Whether you’re a guitarist or bassist, get ready to be amazed. With Sonic Stomp’s proprietary BBE Sonic Maximizer technology, you’ll hear your amp cut through the band mix better with dramatically improved note definition in chords and solos. Even with a wall of distortion, the distinct harmonic elements of each note can be heard like never before. Time-based effects take on a level of realism and dimension you never thought possible. And if low-end punch is your thing, you’ll discover the Lo Contour control is the ticket to meaty chunk without the mud.

It’s like lifting a blanket off your amp to reveal the full potential of your gear and your musical expression. When you’re ready to Maximize Your Tone, get your hands on a Sonic Stomp.
After reading that I still have no idea, I think it injects unicorns into your sound?

JonSick

Just to go into detail, the BBE is the kind of thing that you can make things sound amazing or utter crap.

To paraphrase, imagine you are in a studio. You just tracked your guitar parts and now the mixing engineer is making it all fit together. Chances are he's going to EQ your guitar parts. Why? Well there's nothing wrong with the source guitar parts, but they need to sit into the mix. It's no good having an amazing guitar part if it's going to have some issues with a drum part or even a vocalist. So you boost up the 400Hz and notch down the 2kHz to put that particular guitar into it's own range maybe away from the vocal.

Now imagine you had this sort of tweak-ability live. Maybe you run two guitarists, a synthy keyboardist and a female and male vocal. Not to mention the bassist and drummer.

Having the ability to notch your overall guitar amp sound is a great tool to have in the right hands.

What does in the right hands mean? Well this is a pedal you have to learn. And you have to learn it in context with your amplifier. That will mean rigging up your amp at stage volumes, putting the BBE around the loop and learning how the controls interact with each other and how they match up with the EQ on your amp. Just turning it on and hoping for the best won't get you there.

Does it make a difference? Absolutely. With the right soundguy and PA, my guitar sounds beautiful.

Would I leave home without it? In a pinch, sure! If I had no space on my pedalboard for it, I'd certainly make do without it.

Would I recommend one? If you can put the time in to learn it then absolutely!

WillLane

-notching-
I found that keeping the knobs around 9 o'clock does not really make anything above or below unity. I typically run the Lo Countour around 8 and Process around 9. What you are describing is really just using an EQ, which the SS does have EQ-esque features but that is not the main point. It is kind of frustrating that BBE does not really tell you exactly what it does but leaves it up to "magic" and only allows the actual word to be spread through pedal demoers.

They are releasing a much smaller version which new I think is around $99. Too much. Find it used for those solid $50-60 prices.

If it helps us at all, here is a video explanation.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
The pedals are useless I think.

The rack units can be good for certain things live or recording. I used them for synth parts.

Honestly the Aphex Aurol Exciter is better I think. Same idea but works differently (the BBE supposedly just aligns the natural latency of the bass and high frequencies so they leave/reach ten user at the same time). The Aurol Exciter does something entirely different. But the results are similar.

Butbagain the BBE pedal is nothing like the rack unit. In short, if you already have a good sounding amp, the BBE will do no good and may actually do harm. If you have a bland sounding clean channel on your amp, it may make it sound a bit better.

Like I said I used to use it (and the Aphex) for my synths relgiously back in the day. I dint use or own eithe fine anymore. (Scratch that apparently I still do own the pedal. It was a gift I never used and would cost more to ship than it's worth to sale).

reo73

I used one on my board for about a year. It basically adds a bit of high end clarity. But after a year I wanted the board space for something else and just didn't care enough about its tone shaping to keep it.

Trending Topics