What does a Charlie Christian Pickup Sound like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dotlikeimpact, May 2, 2008.

1. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Any soundclips out there? I'm thinking about eventually making a frankentele with a CC pickup in the neck. What do those pickups sound like? I've always heard that they're jazzy and sweet. Well, tell me more...

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

3. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

It'd be interesting to hear it not in a jazz context. Bit of british sounding distortion perhaps? A more country clean maybe? A nice tweed grit?

4. Big Tim

Big Tim Member

yes please or maybe Dave Orban will chime in here, I think he has one in the neck of a tele, I'd love to hear a range of clips like le plastique describes.

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

This is what is sounds like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz8LhSGeO88

I just had a Lollar Charlie Christian installed with a HD Super 90 in the bridge-(also a Bigsby) I think it sounds so great-beefy-thick & chewy-with the right combo, it will sound great -seems to love pedals as well-I'd say a good deal of Tele twang is lost but replaced by something truly worthy-
    I'm playing with a Victoria Regal II and it's really great-it just punches you in the chest-
    the pairing with the HD gives the middle position great sizzle as well-
    my only complaint is that I need to add more treble to get the sparkle but its so full and it makes you feel like you playing a real instrument-very responsive

sorry if that's too much

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

very tasty! different context, but you can still hear the Charlie factor, very nice!

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I only know the tone from lap steel, from my '39 Gibson EH-185. It's not much like modern pickups, does have some things in common with other large, old style single coil p/us. Like fender direct contact, the rick horseshoe, early epiphone horseshoe type.

There's a depth and resonance in the CC tone that's hard to describe. Has something of that solid, meaty feel you get with P-90s, lots of mids, great warmth. Mainly because that pickup is associated much more with jazz in regular guitars, you don't get to hear it overdriven much. That's easily remedied with the lap steel. Impressive clean sounds seque into B3 like edge-of-breakup tone at higher volumes. Like big surf, it's a smooth roar. (The unique, metal/wood construction of the EH-185 is at least partly responsible for the sustain. The same pickup in the all-wood EH-150 is woodier sounding) I'd love to get one of these pickups in a tele.