What does a Hiwatt sound like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aarockla, Jun 24, 2008.

1. aarockla

aarockla Member

I just saw the BFJ Model H, and read it was supposed to sound like a Hiwatt. I have heard of these amps, but I don't know much about them. What is there sound supposed to be like, what bands use them?

2. jcat

jcat Member

Listen to the Who's Live at Leeds

3. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I saw that pedal too, and almost crapped my pants. Ok, i lied, i did crap my pants. And while i was changing into some new ones, i was trying to figure out how many pints of blood i could sell in order to afford it......

Guess i coulda just sold my soul..... :Devil

Anywho, i do have a Hiwatt 50 watt head that's been with me for about 10 years now, and was my go to amp until the last couple. It's extremely loud, thick, punchy. Not much in the way of gain, unless cranked, and in order to crank this amp, you better be playing 10,000 seaters, or hate your audience. Even then, you need a pedal for saturated gain. Takes pedals better then any amp i have ever played.

I have no idea what a pedal form of this amp is looking to do, but i wanted it anyway. How cool is that?

Most famous Hiwatt users: Townsend, Gilmour. Back in the day.

cheers

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

Loud, clean, tube power. A HiWatt 50W is loud enough. Don't even think about buying a 100W HiWatt. Guy at Kalua music said that they are the "Rolls Royce" of amplifiers, and they were made out of top notch parts. Guitar Player magazine said "the sheer quality of assembly took my breath away", "built to last forever", "loud and clean compared to Marshall", "tight and solid at the low to medium volume settings; when turned up, it really moves some air" in regards to the 100W amp. I owned a 1980 100W two input head, and it was a good amp, but way too loud. My friend had an early 1970's 4 input 50 W head that I remember sounding a lot better for guitar than my 1980 100.

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

Oh, sorry, you asked about a pedal. It won't be easy for any pedal to come close to the presence, crispness, and full-bodied sound of a good HiWatt amp. You better instead hunt for an early 4 hole 50W HiWatt instead, otherwise the experience just won't be the same. How could it?

6. aarockla

aarockla Member

i was asking about the amp. I just saw the pedal, but I hadn't heard of what it was trying to emulate. I wanted to know about the original amplifier. So are these no longer available, or only available as reissues?

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

I haven't had any experience with later HiWatts after I owned the 1980 HiWatt 100. It seems from what other posters are saying, and what I have read in both magazines and on the internet, that after Dan Reeves died, the newer amps were never the same. He was passionate about the sound of his amps. I personally have never heard another amp with that same type of sound. Find an early one and beware of the volume. These amps constituted a whole erra of rock back then all on their own. I'll never forget them.

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

In the meantime, Live at Leeds is exactly what a Hiwatt sounds like. If you're just looking for a reference point, that's all you need to know.

9. Franktone

Franktone Member

Georgia Satellites used them too. The HiWatt stacks had quite a look to them in contrast to the Marshall stack. The speakers are Fane twelves from Britain, and sound very good. The small HiWatt 50 combo was called the bulldog and it was a very good combo, but the head and 4x12 cabinets had the sound and looks of rock.

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

Ohhhhhh, that guy in the video sounds awefully good alright with that 200w alright.

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

A little obsessed?

12. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Here's what my old '72 DR103 sounded like, with TGP's own Michael Patrick doing the demo...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jEVxoniO-uY

Just in case you don't catch it, there is a THD Hotplate being used to get some extra grit out of the head.
    Usually they are clean all the way up to the top.
    I still regret selling it, but it wasn't practical anymore.

13. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Well the bjf model H is a great pedal......is it close to a OLD HIWATT AMP -in sound???.....My answer would be depends on the amp u are running the pedal through...............I wish i had my old hiwatt back from the 70"s to use with this pedal now.....You know i had to watch the youtube clips for fun!!!! Great clip guys!!!!!...................THERE IS NO PEDAL THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE MODEL H..................;)

There are youtube clips of the model h.....

14. Craise

Craise Member

Here's some clips of my BJF Model H, made using my 89 Lp with 70's Hums into my 64 Princeton Reverb with vintage jensen speaker...
    Just doing some Who chords (from memory...not perfect!)
    But you can totally hear that Live at Leeds tone... (imho!)
    I freaking love this pedal! It really does have that crisp and clear but cruchy Hi-Watt sound.
    It can do high gain chords but then single note solos without changing anything...super clear crisp with balls...
    Haven't tried it with a Strat yet...but I'm sure Floyd lies within this pedal too...
    :dude
    First 45 sec of the first clip is just the PR no pedal...
    http://home.comcast.net/~craisefintonkirk/Model-H-Wholicks.mp3
    http://home.comcast.net/~craisefintonkirk/Model-H-Demo1.mp3
    http://home.comcast.net/~mastermindmusic/071-Model%20H%20Pedal%20Demo%202.mp3
    [​IMG]

15. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Yeah. Once you start digging in, that is pretty much the sound!

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

Well, I take it all back. Bjorn makes incredible pedals, and it must be a valid sounding pedal, or he wouldn't release it. I ought to know better, I really like my Mad Professor LGW.

17. Franktone

Franktone Member

It also seems, that the more latest posts: "HiWatt (new) build quality", speak fairly highly on the new HiWatt amps, and even more highly about the Reeves amps. They sound like decent choices to me, although I would personally seek out an early original. But, as amps age, they do need attention, and it may get difficult to find original parts. So keep that in mind when you are paying for vintage amplifiers.

18. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

the new hiwatts have had some quality control issues. i am aware of several stories where there just hasn't been the attention to detail that should be expected from an amp like a hiwatt.

the Reeves stuff does appear to be much better at trying to stay true to the dave reeves legacy.

i concur with you on the early 70's 4 holers. i've got a '72 dr504 and a '80 FL112 (100watt 1x12). even through the same cab--the '79 sounds great, but the '72 just has "it".

19. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Craise, the clips sound great, the other pedal that is supposed to emulate a Hiwatt is the Catalinbread Hyperpak Dirty Channel.

Doe's Bjorn have any plans to produce the model H for regular availabilty through the BJFE dealers? :)

Can a model H be ordered from Harri at Custom Sounds?

Thanks
    JK