• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What does a Tele give me over a Strat?

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
OK, I'm a total Gibson LP humbucker lover. But...I have a pretty awesome Fender CS strat. It's a Music Zoo custom 60's "no Neck". Neck the size of a Nocaster, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets, lightly relic'd at the factory, full 60's appointments, light weight, etc... An awesome, awesome guitar!

This is also the 2nd Strat I've owned (1st one being an early, early serial number EJ Strat).

My question is, would a Tele give me something different than a strat? I'm really trying to like strat tones but I'm struggling. That's why I sold my 1st strat but thought this one would be different.

Is a tele going to put me in the same "strat-like" ballpark? I know they are different but is there something dramatically different about a tele?

OK, enough whining about nothing, but someone please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Sammy

I used to be a Strat man but swopped to Teles years ago and never looked back.

Teles have much more balls and a great sound with twang to them, you can use them for virtually any type of music from Country to Blues to Rock. Think Brad Paisley, Stones, Albert Collins, Status Quo, ZZ top etc.

From what you are implying you need to get rid of your Strat and get youself a good Tele you won't regret it, Teles are for men!

ricoh

It sounds like you have a pretty sweet strat. The Tele will sound different and have a more solid feel but for me one is as good as the other..........it just depends on my mood at the time. Lately the Tele's are at arm's reach.

tybone

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways (in no particular order),

Balls (as Sammy said). Way bigger than a strat.
Great Bridge pickup tone - Roll back the tone on a tele and you get a great thick tone. Try getting that with a strat.
Fuller mids - You can play Jazz on these things.
More Options - Thinline, rosewood body, maple neck, humbuckers etc.
The Twang! That's the thang!

Cheers
Larry

K-Line

Vendor
They stay in tune, have spank, and you can use them if you lose a paddle while out fishing with your guit! Then take it home and plug er in and play away.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure about typical Tele's but my Nocaster reissue is the only guitar that ever made me want to put down my favorite Strat. The Nocaster has a bigger tonal footprint than any Tele or Strat I've played and its tone sorta reminds me of a grand piano with the way it rings. However, a good Strat will do some things a Tele won't do...like a trem, quack, and a good Strats neck pickup is really hard to beat.

jimmyj

Besides the aforementioned attributes, a big thing for me is that the tele shape and balance is MUCH more comfortable for me than a strat. If your Gibson guitars were Les Pauls this will make a big difference. I play teles and single cut Les Paul Specials so strats just don't feel right to me.
Oh, and some people say a strat has better upper fret access but it doesn't. The neck joins the body at the same fret as on a tele. It just looks like a double cut guitar.

I'm not knockin' strats. Lotta great players use them and they have some unique sounds but I prefer a tele for these reasons.

re-animator

strats seem more agile to me... not saying that teles are rhythm guitars.... but they always strike me as having more snap and snarl than any other guitar. very spanky.

long story short, tele is a bulldog of a guitar.

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
Bottom line is you have to spend time with any of them. Back in the late sixties I'd been playing Gibsons and then bought a Strat. The Strat felt great because I learned to play on a Fender neck (Jazzmaster), but the tone seemed so thin I put a humbucker in it. As time went on (and I gained lots of experience) I came to appreciate the sound of the Strat and learned to play to it's strengths. Remember, in the 60s, Clapton was amazed when he heard the sounds Hendrix was getting out of a Strat. He didn't know that was possible at the time. A Tele is a completely different animal altogether. I love Teles and Strats and enjoy playing them both. But you're not really going to fully appreciate a Tele until you have one for awhile and learn to get the most out of it. The main reason I have a lot of different types of guitar is because they all bring something fresh to the party.

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
A Tele is a must for your arsenal, just play an open G chord.
CRUSHING
I love my strat, I love my Tele. Each has something special.

HeeHaw

I love my custom shop strat dearly like an old familear friend, but for rock and roll and sheer clarity of notes I'd choose a nocaster (tele) any day of the week. It literally rips and screams with a marshall type amp!:cool:

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys....
All of your descriptions really describe what I'm looking for. I'm reading each one saying to myself "that's what I'm looking for!".

OK, now it's Tele shopping time....

-Rich

SFW

As a fellow Les Paul player, I really enjoy playing my tele. They have enough in common to be comfortable to switch between. You'll find yourself actually using the tone knob. It can growl or purr... the choice is yours.

Tonemeister69

Bottom line is you have to spend time with any of them. Back in the late sixties I'd been playing Gibsons and then bought a Strat. The Strat felt great because I learned to play on a Fender neck (Jazzmaster), but the tone seemed so thin I put a humbucker in it. As time went on (and I gained lots of experience) I came to appreciate the sound of the Strat and learned to play to it's strengths. Remember, in the 60s, Clapton was amazed when he heard the sounds Hendrix was getting out of a Strat. He didn't know that was possible at the time. A Tele is a completely different animal altogether. I love Teles and Strats and enjoy playing them both. But you're not really going to fully appreciate a Tele until you have one for awhile and learn to get the most out of it. The main reason I have a lot of different types of guitar is because they all bring something fresh to the party.
Well spoken. :BEER

Zelmo

OK, I'm a total Gibson LP humbucker lover. But...I have a pretty awesome Fender CS strat. It's a Music Zoo custom 60's "no Neck". Neck the size of a Nocaster, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets, lightly relic'd at the factory, full 60's appointments, light weight, etc... An awesome, awesome guitar!

This is also the 2nd Strat I've owned (1st one being an early, early serial number EJ Strat).

My question is, would a Tele give me something different than a strat? I'm really trying to like strat tones but I'm struggling. That's why I sold my 1st strat but thought this one would be different.

Is a tele going to put me in the same "strat-like" ballpark? I know they are different but is there something dramatically different about a tele?

OK, enough whining about nothing, but someone please enlighten me.

Thanks!
If you want 'strat-like', going to a tele is not the way to go, IMO. If you're looking for what a lot of people call strat-like tones, you're often talking about scooped mids, a glassy, bell-like tone, etc. - especially on low-output pups. What kind of amp are you running through? Pickups, etc? What's it sound like on position 2 & 4? Any quack? You may be so used to humbuckers that a strat just won't cut it for you...I don't know...

diego

There's always a tele with a strat pup in the middle to get in the "'strat-like' ballpark."

In my experience, there's something huge, raw, basic and good about the tone a tele produces... it's a pure electric guitar tone. So, ya gotta be careful you don't hurt no one.

Pete Galati

The Tele's more hardcore. They're easier for Les Paul players to like IMO.

Strats are great for some sounds, especially if you play clean, but the Tele's notes hit harder.

Trending Topics