What Does an $800 Guitar Case Look Like?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by muddy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

But if sombody was going to give me a gift, I'd still rather have a gig bag or a double gig bag. I couldn't cope with the expectations a case like that would arouse! Most of my guitars were cheaper. I'm old you see, I have Les Pauls that were cheaper than those beautiful cases.

Plus being physically clumsy I tend to bang up the doors and walls with a hard case.

2. De - Fre

De - Fre Guest

duh??

I don't like it ar first sight.

I like my G&G cases.

Fred

3. baald

baald Member

i have an old goya 12 string with a case that looks just like that! (pic TK)

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I'm expecting that there will be a lot of "that's insane" remarks in this thread. For my part, I think I'd rather spend a bunch of dough on a great case for my pride and joy instrument than drop that dough on birds, gold and an artist top, or even use that money to buy an SE as a "backup" that I'd probably hardly ever play. Let me follow that by saying I have spent money on pretty guitars and unused "backup guitars" before, so I'm not slagging that. Just saying, dropping money on a well made case isn't a foreign concept to me.

In fact, I'll step up and say I had Accord cases custom build one for me a few years back for a Thorn thats still in progress. Sure, it cost a bunch of dough but when folks see what's coming out of it, well... besides, it wouldn't fit in a regular case anyhow. :D BTW, I think the case weighs in at a whopping 4 or 5 lbs and is flight case certified. I've stood on it before like the old gorilla jumping on the luggage commercial. :D

-e.

5. WayneM

WayneM Member

I sure hope it comes with its own insurance policy!

:D

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

All I can say is that if you show up with that case and the appropriate guitar within, you better be able to throw down when the curtain rises.

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately, it looks like the creator dumped the first idea (which I think is very cool) and went with the second, which is boring.

8. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Amen! One great guitar is better than fifty so-so guitars. As far as the case is concerned, I've seen more nice guitars broken in crappy cases than I can count.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Agreed if the guitar has the mojo and is worth big bucks why skimp the case? Makes no sense. Now would you need an $800 case vs. a $350 case vs. a $150 case that is up to how much risk you want to take.
    Personally I wish my '68 Tele wasn't in a vintage '68 Fender case. and I am glad that my Charis is in a Deluxe Archtop Cedar Creek case while my Takamine resides in an El Cheapo Plywood.

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    It's the opposite.
    The second pic is just a mockup, a wooden model of the final design.
    The first pic is what the production model should look lilke.

From the website:
    "Here's the final design of the Calder Ultra.
    Production starts Jan 2006.

The shots below are of a full size wooden model.
    In the finished product the wood will be replaced by a carbon fiber/Kevlar shell covered with a zipped outer skin.

The skin will be available as a choice of either top grain English leather or a Swiss material Dynatec.

Dynatec is a development of Cordura - tougher and in cool colours and textures. (Dynatec is treated with a technique called Nanosphere® which shrugs off dirt.

We're sourcing zips with a Titanium finish from the Swiss company RiRi.

The interior of the case will be lined with British made crushed velvet.

We've minimised the design to make it as simple and as strong as possible - fit for purpose."

11. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Kevlar ehhh....so it's bullet proof too! This may be what I need for my new Chapin!

12. Crazyquilt

Not the way I read it.

So he went with the more minimalist, blockier design -- the second pic.

I'm still not convinced I'd buy an $800 case ... seems to be to be a point of diminishing returns. Of course, if I had a priceless '51 Nocaster -- a real one -- I don't think I'd sweat the $800, assuming I ever too the thing out of my home. Or vault. Or whatever.

13. eric102673

eric102673 Member

See, the way I see it, it's not about the dollar value of a guitar it's about personal attachment and irreplacability. My numero uno #1 guitar was built by Ron Thorn. Not a cheap guitar but not really pricey either. That's not the point. If it were ever stolen or damaged I COULD have a new one built to replace it, however that guitar has magic I've only scratched the surface of. I'd take it over that "priceless '51 tele" any day of the week. Sure, for the price of the tele I could have Ron build me a small army of guitars but would they be as special? Not to me. I know that guitar backwards and forwards and it's become a part of me. At least to me anyway, there are some things worth protecting that are more intangible than money. It could be a $400 mexican strat but if it had the musical voice of god and I took it out a lot, I think dropping $800 on a case that gave great protection and weighed 1/3 that of a not so great protecting wooden case makes perfect sense.

I sure don't think the $800 case is for everybody, but I could sure as heck see where if it was the "right" case for a buyer for whatever their reason that they would drop that coin. Better to drop it on a great case that you always use than on a floor full of effects pedals you may never use.

A lot of ways to look at it,
    -e.

14. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

as far as a case goes, i'd pay extra for durabilty and roadworthyness, but not for looks. can't imagine putting the case "on show."

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

16. Crazyquilt

I agree entirely. I just picked the Nocaster as an extreme example, out of the air, that would tend to be universally understood.

Although, really, I shouldn't have picked a Tele as an example, seeing as they're the Timex of the guitar world. I mean, if Roy Buchanan could carry Nancy around sans case, why should I worry? ;)

Although, and I hate to risk :horse but the idea of keeping an aritficial relic in a $800 case is ironic to say the leasty. But, if it's your true musical love, it is, like the MasterCard commercials say, priceless, no matter where it came from.

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

As one who's dropped $150 on a gig bag (and would happily do so again), I can see why someone might drop eight bills on an uber case. Though I could see myself shelling out for something like a Hiscox (if the need arose), that Calder's probably too rich for my blood.

18. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I dig the first pic, I would need to go find the "right" guitar to go inside. My Thorn already has an extra cool case that came stock.

19. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Actually, I think we were referring to 2 different things. Re-reading your post:
    I understood your use of "idea" was referring to the finished appearance (as opposed to the design shape) of the wooden model being "boring" compared to the first pic.

It's now clear you meant the design shape was boring.

I think we both understood the second pic was the final design:
    I'm assuming that the exterior finish of the second design will be closer to the first pic, as that pic shows the use of a carbon fiber/Kevlar shell (see Chapter 22 of the designer's blog).

I think ultimately we're probably agreeing, and we were talking about different things.
    :cool: