What does an amp that takes pedals well mean to you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by illini, Mar 22, 2015.

1. illini

illini Member

When someone asks this, what do you think of?

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Some amps don't work well with certain pedals. Some amps work great with most any pedal. If you use a lot of pedals, you'll want an amp in the latter category.

3. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

What does an amp that takes pedals well mean to you?

When an amp reacts synergistically with pedals, instead of sounding harsh/fake/nasty in a bad way...rather soaking the pedal up and making it part of the amp, where the sound created is better than just the sum of it's parts, but rather a whole new level of awesomeness taking the player to new heights of eargasmic joy, euphoria even, lifting the soul to the heavens as you are now fully able to express yourself in ways never even imagined through that amp and pedal...

Or maybe just the first part.
    Case in point, my Fender blackface Dual Showman is picky about what pedals are in front of it, and can sound unnaturally spikey and boomy. No good with many pedals.
    The Germino Club 40 I had made every pedal sound like it was part of the amp, adding fullness and harmonics to everything played through it. Takes pedals extremely well.

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

I'm always confused by how this can misinterpreted.

Many amps make dirt pedals sound horrible. 99% of solid state amps, for example. I've heard even owned tube amps that sounded equally bad with dirt pedals.

I rarely use modulation and only use delays for lead so I Won't comment on those types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Belmont

Belmont Member

the same thing I think of when I read "who makes the best buffer?"

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Wonder what speakers he's using is usually my 1st thought. ???

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Most amps sound fine with pedals including 99% of SS and digi amps.

All you to need is to find the ones that sound 'normal' clean.

Do not exceed the headroom of the input stage.
    No weird EQ, no top end hype, easy on the brite switch and choose pedals that do not generate harshness and artifacts.
    It's not really an amp problem so much as it is a bad pedal problem.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

means the amp and cab are not excessively bright

9. 8len8

8len8 Member

Means an OD or distortion in front of an already driven amp will not result in an overly saturated sound or alter the basic tone of the amp.

10. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

thats pretty much what i think

11. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I tend to think that it means....an amp that takes pedals well. You know, an amp that sounds good with pedals, or perhaps, an amp that does not make pedals sound bad. I am being only slightly sarcastic. I wonder if you mean, why you think of an amp that takes pedals well, what amp do you think of? For me, despite being a life-long Marshall guy, I do not think of Marahalls or their ilk. I really only like Marshalls with phasers/vibes or boosting pedals (clean, treble, fuzz mainly on vol boost, etc) unless the amp is run extremely low volume without an attenuator. For pedals beyond boosts and phasers, I think of Fenders and Fender like amps (like almost everyone else) especially blackface and even silverface amps. I love my metalface/plexi variant (YJM 100) but it cant hold a candle to my 1970 Bandmaster Reverb when it comes to overdrives, modulations, delays, etc, even in the loop.

12. kimock

kimock Member

Probably means you got the right speakers.

13. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I don't know why anyone is confused about this. If you turn on your distortion pedal and it sounds all jacked up, then it doesn't take pedals well. An AC15 comes to mind, or the clean channel on a 6505+. Bright caps are the culprit in those cases.

14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

All personal taste; I actually love the way AC15's take pedals!

I think the big thing most people notice with pedals and amps is front end compression. It usually just becomes a matter of personal taste though. I don't really think there's such a thing as an amp that doesn't "take pedals well" we just become accustomed to the way the front end of the amps we use more take pedals and that is then what our ears gravitate towards and listen for in other amps. If we don't hear that, we say the amp doesn't take pedals well.

I used to use Fender amps exclusively and the first time I played a Vox I hated the way my pedals sounded in front of it. I then spent several years playing nothing but Vox amps and the next time I tried a Fender amp I hated the way my pedals sounded in front of it and found I loved the way they sounded with the Vox! :)

15. crunchman

crunchman Member

Do not exceed the headroom of the input stage.

Can someone elaborate on this ?

16. sleewell

sleewell Member

It's something people say when they are trying to sell an amp or when they just get an amp and are gushing about it honeymoon style.

Almost all amps take pedals well.

17. Haz

Haz Member

Mesa LSS took pedals really well. Great in the loop and in front. I guess it's when pedal is plugged on it doesn't bring any artifacts to the sound it just flows through the amp.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    An amp that takes pedals well, imho, is a more forgiving, flexible amp, so long as without any pedals, it still has a desirable sound and feel.

I believe these two things go hand-in-hand.