What does cone cry sound like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pine, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

I tried searching the forum but couldn't narrow down the results enough;
    I have an amp that sounds fine until you really open it up, to the verge of feedback, and then I get a strange sound on, almost as if I had a phase shifter running. Is that cone cry?

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

What does cone cry sound like?

****. lol
    To me it sounds like a bad out of tune harmonizer. Most noticable on the plain strings past the 10th fret.

mlj_gear likes this.
  3. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

4. pine

Can anyone give me a serious answer?

5. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not 100% sure I got it right, but I THINK it is what I've had once with one speaker cab, that was consistent...

Think of how someone (a valley girl, if you are old enough to remember how they sound) would go "Euuuuwww" either starting high, and quickly down in tone, or opposite.

It sounds like there is another instrument suddenly coming out of the speaker (what I think is cone cry doesn't really sound much like that mp3 above either). Most of the time I think it was high-to-lower. It's very distracting.

At high volumes, I also can get a vibey sound, but that I don't think is cone cry.

I could be wrong...interesting question, hope you get some good answers.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

8. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

10. freaksho

freaksho Member

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not a joke. The sound of the speakers ready to die during the solo is what I assume the OP was asking about.

12. pine

I'm the OP, and I'm getting a weird sound like a phase shifter when I really drive my amp and hold the note, I was wondering if it was cone cry

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

well either way i liked it a lot.

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

any way to try another cab to test it?

15. pine

That is a great idea, I'll do that as well

16. Rocknhorse1

Rocknhorse1 Member

OP, I think what you are actually hearing is a bit of crossover distortion. It sounds a bit like a phasing effect. Google "Paul Ruby mod" you should find some clips of the sound. The Metro forum has a big thread on it too. All amps have it to some degree, ans it seems most common in EL84 amps, or 18 watt Marshalls.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Your post got me thinking about the things we aren't asking the OP but should have....like

1) Are you using pedals when you get this? Eliminate that by plugging direct into the amp from the guitar. Phase problems can happen if you split the guitar signal through pedals if one of them is inverting the phase and the other not.

2) Speakers. Is this a single speaker cab? If you have more than one speaker, it might be that they are wired out of phase?

Does this happen when you hit a power chord and hold it, or just when you are soloing and is there any certain note it happens on?

18. Rocknhorse1

Rocknhorse1 Member

I actually went through this with my 18 watt amp. I also thought it was cone cry, but learned later about the crossover distortion, only after a TON of searching.
    I have heard cone cry described as the sound you hear on the song "Wrokin Man" by Rush. Right at the very end. If you listen right at 6:40..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59mDlBSt7o
    Here is a clip of one of my amps that did the same sort of thing. It's a Weber 10A100 speaker. Listen at 1:52 and you can hear what I think is cone cry. It can actually be kind of musical
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3kmuJyeMUc
    Crossover distortion is different, and usually only happens when the amps power section is driven really hard, although it can happen in the preamp as well.
    Here is a clip of crossover distortion
    http://jonanderson.mn.googlepages.com/phase.mp3
    In the right amount, it is desirable to some, and like I said, a lot of amps do it to some degree. But if there is too much, it can sound bad. It's because of the phase inverter cap taking too long to discharge. The Paul Ruby, or zeener diode mod helps discharge the cap.
    This can happen to any amp, as Randal Aiken will tell you. He had lots of issues trying to design it out of his Tom Cat amp. With the zeener diode mod, you can allow just the right amount, as some may be desirable.

As said in the post above, remove everything from the chain and make sure this is what you are dealing with.
    All of this stuff is just the crazy cool stuff that happens when driving tubes and speakers beyond their design limits...which IS rocknroll.

19. epluribus

epluribus Member

Somehow this is even better with Leave My Girl Alone going in the background. :)

--Ray

20. pine

No pedals were in use

Single speaker cab

When I hit a chord and hold it

I now believe after listening to the clip that Rocknhorse1 is right on the money, it sounds exactly like the crossover distortion clip he kindly provided