• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what does it mean if the '59 profile on my LP studio is the most comfortable...

chunkomatic

neck i've EVER played and the wizard neck on my ibanez makes my hand hurt after about 30 minutes. is my hand too small for the wizard profile? i consider myself to have "medium" sized hands. i've avoided pauls for years and years because they just felt too thick, but once i sat down with one and forced myself to give it a go, i found i could literally play for hours with no fatigue.

what gives, i thought flat necks were easier to play?

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Actually an undersized neck will cause you to have to hold your hand in a "tighter" position and is likely to cause you pain and cramping.

Pick up a typical wooden yardstick and play some air guitar on it for a bit. Your fretting hand will feel like crap in short order.

bynt

Actually an undersized neck will cause you to have to hold your hand in a "tighter" position and is likely to cause you pain and cramping.

Pick up a typical wooden yardstick and play some air guitar on it for a bit. Your fretting hand will feel like crap in short order.

Yep!!!

I was brought up in the 80's when thin and flat were the rule. My hand would get really tired and cramped after a while. Long story short, I accidentally played some fatter necks and be damned if I hadn't been missing out for years. Now I've got Warmoth Boatnecks on my Strat and Tele and my Les Paul has the 58 neck. No more hand cramps!!!!

MGT

I'm "dealing" with the same realization right now, too. I have a LP Studio and the neck feels perfect to me....I love the look of my SG Standard (especially compared to the rather boring worn brown LP) but just can't get used to the smaller neck!

pir8matt

+1 here - I've been playing my G0's pretty much exclusively lately, but I switched to a tele (classic 60's) for a session last night, and my left hand kept cramping up.

I wouldnt call the G0's necks 'big' or anything, they certainly aren't baseball bat'ish or anything, but the tele neck is so much thinner it makes the G0 neck feel huge in comparison, and the larger neck ends up being more 'comfortable', when conventional wisdom would seem to dictate the opposite would be the case.

Weird stuff.

mojoslide

That's why I like the PRS Wide/Fat neck carve. Nothing too big but thick enough to be comfortable. I would guess the 59 neck carve is similar in that sense. If it feels comfortable, stick with it!

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
what gives, i thought flat necks were easier to play?
IMO its not the flat radius that causes discomfort its the stoopid thin, shredder contour/ back profile of those wizard necks.

Thin necks suck... I think rounder, deeper profiles feel better to the majority of players

+1 here - I've been playing my G0's pretty much exclusively lately, but I switched to a tele (classic 60's) for a session last night, and my left hand kept cramping up.
I haven't played a 60's era tele neck but my MIM 50's tele has a really nice and thick contour. The problem with vintage tele necks is that the tend to be really narrow at the nut which can be uncomfortable for folks. That said, some of those vintage tele's are as baseball bat thick as any Gibson.

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
I use to think thinner would be better as well because of my small hands. I've found just the opposite to be true. The PRS wide/fat is my favorite but I don't mind if they're chunkier that that. I have no problem playing a Nocaster for hours.

chunkomatic

I'm "dealing" with the same realization right now, too. I have a LP Studio and the neck feels perfect to me....I love the look of my SG Standard (especially compared to the rather boring worn brown LP) but just can't get used to the smaller neck!
it's extremely frustrating because i labored over the prestige purchase for a while thinking it was the be-all, end-all, go to guitar for me and would become my number one.

i can "shred" like a mofo on the round, LP neck and fret more precisely in every position, much more so than i can on the ibanez. i guess now i have to decide to keep it just for the hell of it, or trade it in on another paul, since i like my gits to all "feel" the same so that when i switch out it's not a huge shock to my fretting hand.

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
I converted to fat necks about 6 years ago when I bought my first Historic Les Paul ('57 goldtop). I was very concerned that the fat neck would be an issue, but I fell in love with it immediately . A fat neck is 10x more comfortable than a skinny neck and I don't find that the extra bulk hinders my speed or ability at all.

I just bought a Fender Heavy Metal Strat from a friend that needed the money. Its the first Kahler-equipted guitar I've ever owned and so I'm having a lot of fun with it, but the neck feels like a yardstick and those old familiar hand cramps have returned. Cool guitar, but I think the skinny neck profile means it may find a new home on eBay.

sqadan

:agree

Bingo on this.... Necks that are too flat make my hand cramp up something awful. I learned this the hard way after spending a year or so with an LP Classic with the 60's slim taper neck... never make that mistake again! :rolleyes:

Dunno what's a "wizzer" neck (sorry, I'm an old guy with old gtrs), but I do know that the more "open" my fretting hand is, the more comfy I am playing. A weenie little neck will cause one to close up their hand (like making a fist) around the neck, and that can lead to cramping and discomfort. One may also notice that a gtr with a big neck sounds much better than one with a skinny-*ss little stem.

Trending Topics