• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What does it take to find the right people?

nomadh

Same as dating. ThE ones you like don't like you and the you don't like.....
Now make that a factorial of the number of members.
Now put that in a place with only 20 musicians.
0.0000000% chance.
If you keep doing what you've done you'll keep getting what you got.
Save some time. Don't be picky. I was just like you so I didnt really get in a band until 45 because of waiting for something perfect. Then it,still wasnt.
Perfect is the enemy of the good enough.
2 things. You need to play anything with anybody. I mean any style, any instrument. Harp, congas, and learn to sing.
Also move. But first jam and get to church.

Also at that age women are drawn to arrogant clueless assholes.
You don't have to be one but you better become a decent actor :)

Last edited:

nomadh

Same as dating. ThE ones you like don't like you and the you don't like.....
Now make that a factorial of the number of members.
Now put that in a place with only 20 musicians.
0.0000000% chance.
If you keep doing what you've done you'll keep getting what you got.
Save some time. Don't be picky. I was just like you so I didnt really get in a band until 45 because of waiting for something perfect. Then it,still wasnt.
Perfect is the enemy of the good enough. It took me 6 months to replace a singer for a run of the mill fun classic rock cover band and I live in San diego.
2 things. You need to play anything with anybody. I mean any style, any instrument. Harp, congas, and learn to sing.
Also move. But first jam and get to church.

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
I had a run where nothing worked for me as far as getting bands together went. And I lived in a city of 1 million -as big as my country gets.

Eventually I ran into some people and played a party gig. that band lasted ten years, did albums, toured etc. I formed other bands, ended up in four original acts before I moved countries.

What I found is there's a point where you start to know the right people and the scene. You have to get out there and figure out where they are, though. But the right folk could be hidden in plain view.

Of course a bigger market makes sense, do that if you can. If there's no scene there's no scene.

Bear in mind that the style of music and playing you are talking about wanting to do is not huge any more anywhere. If you want to play a lot of notes and get a viable band happening perhaps look more towards the metal scene. That way there's a touring circuit you can get on.

If you can stomach it look for talent in different genres and help them sound great. become a sideman and be that guy who gets the call because the music sounds better with you in it. Key to doing this is enjoying a wide variety of music: I came from that 80s shred generation, but was lucky in that when music changed after 92 I also liked that music as well. That meant I was able to enjoy being in good original bands despite not getting the chance to do some variation on the 'get the funk out' solo.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Play with more people, develop relationships, get to know their playing, call the right person for the gig based on that.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Good grief.

See the Tim and Pete video linked a few posts back. That's the way to do it in 2016. Make some great videos and get them out there, market your ass hard on solcial media, if you're as good as you claim you could start something right from where you live now. If you're a talent and do things right, people will come to you.

The Captain

Good grief.

See the Tim and Pete video linked a few posts back. That's the way to do it in 2016. Make some great videos and get them out there, market your ass hard on solcial media, if you're as good as you claim you could start something right from where you live now. If you're a talent and do things right, people will come to you.
One of the more important points they make in that interview is to move to a music centre/scene.
Social media can only take you so far, if you live in the boonies. Are you listening, Steve Terreberry ?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
One of the more important points they make in that interview is to move to a music centre/scene.
Social media can only take you so far, if you live in the boonies. Are you listening, Steve Terreberry ?
Yeah that's very true, but if you're good you can build a solid foundation from home too, it's a start :)

gearmeup

What a beautiful thread, you remind me of myself at your age, usually with my experiance for a good band to form it just comes naturally with friends.

This song comes to mind and actually wraps everything up nicely.

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll get what you need"
Ohhh yeah baby

rolsen

Unpopular answer here but in this day and age having advanced technique like sweep picking will get you absolutely no where, in fact for your age group this is a major hit against you unless you're going for metal. If you show up to rehearse for some indie rock band sporting an Ibanez Gem you'll be shown the door. So, develop your writing skills and be honest with the genre you're most interested in. Then move.

Tampitump

Unpopular answer here but in this day and age having advanced technique like sweep picking will get you absolutely no where, in fact for your age group this is a major hit against you unless you're going for metal. If you show up to rehearse for some indie rock band sporting an Ibanez Gem you'll be shown the door. So, develop your writing skills and be honest with the genre you're most interested in. Then move.
I wouldn't be caught dead with an indie (hipster) rock band, I wouldn't touch a GEM with a 10 foot pole, and I hate sweep picking.

mikefair

Silver Supporting Member
Living outside a city with a strong music scene is a big, big disadvantage. But it doesn't have to be a deal breaker. The truth is, not all the great players are in great bands. The reality of the kind of band you want to be in is more about fitting in with a band. Sometimes I'll be at a show and look around the room and my mind is blown by all the killer guitar players there. Their bands are, for the most part, slightly more or less successful than mine.

You could spend this time working hard on your performance and writing skills. I mean really working hard. Get some kind of cassette or hard disc recorder and record obsessively. Be your own worst critic. Get in front of audiences any way possible and see what works and what doesn't. And be real honest with yourself about it.

Some people on this thread have encouraged you to find some other creative outlet. Shame on them. I think my very first memory is being fascinated with music and wondering how it's made. I was in my 40s before I was in a band with any commercial or critical success. It's part of my identity now. Hang on.

Last edited:

MikeVB

First answer, do not move to Leesburg, Ga.

Second answer, if the first answer is unavoidable do not stay in Leesburg, Ga for 20+ years.

Shiny McShine

A strong musical identity, roots, a unique approach, a creative spirit, deep insights musically, interpersonal skills, a well defined vision statement or... you could just own the PA.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom