What does it take to selling a boutique amp in a small market?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bunky, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

Having a hard time selling my Heritage amp. Must everything say Fender/Marshall/Vox in a small market?

2. Trout

Trout Member

Its just a matter of right place, right time just like anything else.

In this economy, you will sell fast low, slow high, finding that magic number in between can often speed things up, but do not sell yourself short either.

It is better in the long run to hold out for what you need out of it.
    In another word, Patience

3. krall

krall Supporting Member

You know i've been in the buy/sell/trade business around here for a long time and I know the local market..I told you if you bought that Heritage, you'd have a hell of a time selling it around here if you decided not to keep it. I was right. It's all about the Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa Boogies and Orange amps. Boutique? Dr. Z is the #1 around here..Any other name, forget it.

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Target the Nashville area Bunky!

5. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

You'll have a hell of a time sell just about any boutique amp in any market. That seems to be the way it works. When I sold my Carr Vincent it was the same deal. The general rule I go by is that many of the better known boutique-type amps will sound really good but when it comes to resale value you're on your own.

The answer to "what does it take?" is: a really low price-- probably way lower than you want to sell it for. I live in the DC area and there are few shops around here with boutique amps, but I don't recall ever seeing a Heritage. Despite the TGP lust for some builders, if there aren't too many out there to try before you buy; it's hard to imagine how some of these smaller companies will complement one's own sound.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Not completely true, real small builders can be tough, but if someone lists a RedPlate, I doubt it will last long. Another amp which sell easily are Matchless.

Heritage are nice, but brutal to sell, no one wants them

7. krall

krall Supporting Member

In eastern Canada, it IS TRUE. I've sold over 400 amps just the past 5-7 years..I know this market like the back of my hand. Bunky knows me personally and I told him not to get it. It may be a great sounding amp, but he has major G.A.S. and I knew he would probably try to flip it sooner or later, and when that day would come, he'd have a hell of a time to sell it. Even when the economy was fine a few years ago the locals still wouldn't pay what the general populace would pay, and they play it safe in terms of brands. Shops here pretty much only sell Peavey's, Fender's, Mesa, Ampeg, Marshall's. Only recently have they started selling Orange and Dr. Z's. Same thing for guitars..If it's not Gibson, Fender, Ibanez or BC Rich, you're in for some hard times selling locally.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Canada explains it all. I am not having much difficulty, slower than before but not impossible.

9. Bunky

Bunky Member

...don't say "I told you so" Krall. ;) Haha

I might have to post it out west in Toronto or Montreal or something.

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I know it sucks, but you may be better off shipping outside of your area if it's a small marketplace in a crappy economy.

11. krall

krall Supporting Member

It's not so much Canada..It's EASTERN Canada..A lot of stuff will happily sell in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc..But in this part of the country, musicians are tightwads. Some of the vintage pieces I recently put up for sale I didn't even bother with local ads, I knew it wouldn't sell (like the '59 Bassman and '62 blonde Twin)..I went to places like here, and one went to Montreal, the other one in USA.

12. krall

krall Supporting Member

I'll tell ya again: Stick with vintage Fenders! They sound great and will definitely sell if you decide to flip for another model.

13. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

The issue with boutique gear, outside of the TGP ecosystem, is that these builders aren't paying for the marketing that Marshall, Fender, and Mesa do. The same marketing that drives their sales at retail, help to drive your sales on the secondary market.

"Boutique" is a fancy way of saying "Off Brand" to your average guitar player who is chasing the image of his hero playing onstage with Marshall amps. In order to sell to that guy used, you need to price cheaper than the Marshall/Mesa/Etc you're competing against. Otherwise he'll go "I might as well get the real thing at that price".

The primary market for these boutique amps, are guys that don't care what it costs, and are willing to pay a premium for new, in the color they want, a conversation with the builder, etc. They're not buying them used.

14. Bunky

Bunky Member

I've definitely learned my lesson! Sometimes we have to make mistakes on our own. Great amp though, just would rather have more power to move gear in this market.

15. krall

krall Supporting Member

Why don't you list it here on the Emporium?

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

It depends on the timing of your sale. Stick with popular boutique amps that work. A lot of professional guitarists seem to use Matchless, %13, 65 Amps, etc. Morgan has been on the rise as well. I'm sure those will sell with relative ease.

17. Bunky

Bunky Member

Don't want to pay for membership.

Another thing, can you ship an amp without taking out the tubes? This amp says "No User Serviceable Parts Inside."

18. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

How about nice detailed up close pictures? The more the better. Gut shots of that point-to-point non-pcb amp.

How about better descriptions of the amp. What are its strengths and selling points BASED on your 'playing it' experience?

Don't just copy & paste the ad from the amp's website, what does your own experience say about the amp?

There in lies some (not all) of the problem. Many sellers hardly ever played what they're selling let alone know how to really operate it and set it.

Most are just lazy ads typed in less than a minute on an iPhone (chinese-made ironically).

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Membership is $12 a year. I might not be in any position to judge but that's really insignificant.

20. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

Hmm. Seemed to me like the /13, Matchless, Morgan & Jackson Ampworks stuff got sold fairly quick & held value fairly decently.