• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What does Prg No. (0-127) on Eventide H9 mean?

XXTwighlight

I'm very ignorant with this midi stuff.
Here is the Eventide H9 Manual exerpt. Please explain simply...haha.
I'm sure it's simple enough, but I'm just not quite getting it. I've underlined the key lines.
I'm trying to setup a VooDoo Labs Ground Control Pro. I'm pretty sure this issue deals with the bottom 4 preset switches only on the Ground Control Pro...? ...If your familiar with the Ground Control switcher.

[RCV.MAP] – Create a MIDI Program Change Receive Map
MIDI maps are an efficient way to instantly recall any of the H9’s Presets using your favorite MIDI controller (pedal board, sequencer, etc.). Press the HOTKNOB button to select and create a MIDI Program Change Receive Map. This function sets the corresponding Preset that is recalled when a MIDI Program Change message is received. (Referred to as Prg No. from here on.)

Note that if a Preset is saved "Bypassed," when it is loaded by using a MIDI Program Change command the Preset will load but the pedal will be Bypassed.

The Left Field displays the Prg No. (0-127) and Right Field displays either the Preset Number (P01-P99) or one of various Bypass options described below, or OFF. The two fields are delimited by a decimal point [127.P99]

There are two ways to select the MIDI Prg No: manually or using Learn Mode. To select manually, with the Left Footswitch LED flashing, turn the Knob to select the desired Prg No. from 0 to 127.

To use Learn Mode, press the Left Footswitch again. In LEARN mode, the Prg. No. will be automatically set when a MIDI Program Change message is received. Pressing the Left Footswitch exits LEARN mode.

Press the Right Footswitch to select the Preset field (indicated by the flashing Right Footswitch LED) and turn the Knob to select the Preset.

To map another Prg No. to another Preset, press the Left Footswitch again to select the desired Prg No., then the Right Footswitch to map it to the desired Preset.

Default map: Prg No. (1-99) map to the 99 Presets (P01-P99).

As well as using MIDI program change to load a preset, this message can also be programmed to directly control the unit’s BYPASS setting. With the Right Footswitch LED flashing, turn the Knob counter-clockwise to select:
[OFF] Unassigned
[BYP] BYPass the unit
[ACT] Make the unit Active, i.e., not bypassed.
[TOG] Toggle between bypass and active.
Press the PRESETS button once to back-up one level to MIDI menu.
Press the PRESETS button twice to go to top level System menu

stinkfoot

Program change commands are sent by MIDI devices, to make other devices switch programs. There are 128 commands in total (0-127), and you can map how the H9 responds to them. So if you choose program 1 on the MIDI controller, you can tell the H9 which patch to select. The default setting is that the H9 follows the program change commands, so Program change command 1 selects H9 patch 1.

Mapping is useful if you have other MIDI units where you make lots of different patches, but tend to use a smaller selection of presets in the H9. Instead of copying the same settings to multiple preset slots (risking running out of slots), you can have the H9 call up the same preset for several MIDI controller program numbers.

You can also use the mapping in the H9 to tie other commands (off, bypass, active, toggle bypass/active) to a program change number. So if you select program 1 on the Midi controller, you can have that turn the H9 off (or on).

XXTwighlight

I'm still confused.
I am running a Eventide H9 (multieffects) and a TC Electronic NovaDrive (midi controlled) with a Voodoolabs Ground Control Midi Switcher.

I ultimately want to use the Switcher as a Stompbox. Where I have the option of placing whichever preset on any given switch and then turn that effect on/off with 2 stomps. Just like a simple True Bypass Looper (Loopmaster/etc.). I'll be getting an expression pedal soon as well.
Can the Ground Control preset both the H9 & Novadrive on 1 switch? or does that have to be controlled via IA setting?

I'm confused about the 0-127 PC commands? Are these universal? I see various lists online of tons of commands. Then I see a list with different instruments on it...? Is that more for keyboard?
The titles on the manual that confuse me are: (XMT CH) ...is this not related to what I need the Switcher for?
Then To Setup the External Control Source: Is that my Ground Control? Or are they talking about some other unit you can use? The choices are:
(---) No Patch
(BND) - MIDI Pitch Bend
(CO) - (C99) - MIDI CC Messages

Eventide Manual: http://www.eventide.com/~/media/Files/Audio%20Support/H9/Everyone/H9UserGuide18.ashx

VooDoo Labs Ground Control Manual: http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/ground_control_pro_manual.pdf

Is the H9 & NovaDrive suppose to have its own (0-127) midi commands proprietary?
I just don't see any info?

I keep coming up with this list of commands when I searched general Midi PC commands online.
This list is not from H9 or Nova, just what I came up with online:

MIDI Control Change Messages – Continuous Controllers

MIDI CC List MIDI CC Number MIDI CC
Purpose MIDI CC
Description MIDI CC
0 Bank Select Allows user to switch bank for patch selection. Program change used with Bank Select. MIDI can access 16,384 patches per MIDI channel. MIDI CC
1 Modulation Generally this CC controls a vibrato effect (pitch, loudness, brighness). What is modulated is based on the patch. MIDI CC
2 Breath Controller Often times associated with aftertouch messages. It was originally intended for use with a breath MIDI controller in which blowing harder produced higher MIDI control values. It can be used for modulation as well. MIDI CC
3 Undefined MIDI CC
4 Foot Controller Often used with aftertouch messages. It can send a continuous stream of values based on how the pedal is used. MIDI CC
5 Portamento
Time Controls portamento rate to slide between 2 notes played subsequently. MIDI CC
6 Data Entry Most Significant Bit(MSB) Controls Value for NRPN or RPN parameters. MIDI CC
7 Volume Control the volume of the channel MIDI CC
8 Balance Controls the left and right balance, generally for stereo patches.
0 = hard left, 64 = center, 127 = hard right MIDI CC
9 Undefined MIDI CC
10 Pan Controls the left and right balance, generally for mono patches.
0 = hard left, 64 = center, 127 = hard right MIDI CC
11 Expression Expression is a percentage of volume (CC7). MIDI CC
12 Effect Controller 1 Usually used to control a parameter of an effect within the synth/workstation. MIDI CC
13 Effect Controller 2 Usually used to control a parameter of an effect within the synth/workstation. MIDI CC
14 Undefined MIDI CC
15 Undefined MIDI CC
16 – 19 General Purpose MIDI CC
20 – 31 Undefined MIDI CC
32 – 63 Controller 0-31 Least Significant Bit (LSB) MIDI CC
64 Damper Pedal /
Sustain Pedal On/Off switch that controls sustain. (See also Sostenuto CC 66)
0 to 63 = Off, 64 to 127 = On MIDI CC
65 Portamento On/Off Switch On/Off switch
66 Sostenuto On/Off Switch On/Off switch – Like the Sustain controller (CC 64), However it only holds notes that were “On” when the pedal was pressed. People use it to “hold” chords” and play melodies over the held chord.
67 Soft Pedal On/Off Switch On/Off switch
- Lowers the volume of notes played.
68 Legato FootSwitch On/Off switch
- Turns Legato effect between 2 subsequent notes On or Off.
69 Hold 2 Another way to “hold notes” (see MIDI CC 64 and MIDI CC 66). However notes fade out according to their release parameter rather than when the pedal is released. MIDI CC
70 Sound Controller 1 Usually controls the way a sound is produced. Default = Sound Variation. MIDI CC
71 Sound Controller 2 Allows shaping the Voltage Controlled Filter (VCF). Default = Resonance -
also(Timbre or Harmonics) MIDI CC
72 Sound Controller 3 Controls release time of the Voltage controlled Amplifier (VCA). Default = Release Time. MIDI CC
73 Sound Controller 4 Controls the “Attack’ of a sound. The attack is the amount of time it takes forthe sound to reach maximum amplitude. MIDI CC
74 Sound Controller 5 Controls VCFs cutoff frequency of the filter. MIDI CC
75 Sound Controller 6 Generic – Some manufacturers may use to further shave their sounds. MIDI CC
76 Sound Controller 7 Generic – Some manufacturers may use to further shave their sounds. MIDI CC
77 Sound Controller 8 Generic – Some manufacturers may use to further shave their sounds. MIDI CC
78 Sound Controller 9 Generic – Some manufacturers may use to further shave their sounds. MIDI CC
79 Sound Controller 10 Generic – Some manufacturers may use to further shave their sounds. MIDI CC
80 General Purpose
MIDI CC Controller Generic
On/Off switch
81 General Purpose MIDI CC Controller Generic
On/Off switch
82 General Purpose
MIDI CC Controller Generic
On/Off switch
83 General Purpose MIDI CC Controller Generic
On/Off switch
84 Portamento CC Control Controls the amount of Portamento. MIDI CC
85 – 90 Undefined MIDI CC
91 Effect 1 Depth Usually controls reverb send amount MIDI CC
92 Effect 2 Depth Usually controls tremolo amount MIDI CC
93 Effect 3 Depth Usually controls chorus amount MIDI CC
94 Effect 4 Depth Usually controls detune amount MIDI CC
95 Effect 5 Depth Usually controls phaser amount MIDI CC
96 (+1) Data Increment Usually used to increment data for RPN and NRPN messages. MIDI CC
97 (-1) Data Decrement Usually used to decrement data for RPN and NRPN messages. MIDI CC
98 Non-Registered Parameter Number LSB (NRPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the NRPN parameter. MIDI CC
99 Non-Registered Parameter Number MSB (NRPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the NRPN parameter. MIDI CC
100 Registered Parameter Number LSB (RPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the RPN parameter. MIDI CC
101 Registered Parameter Number MSB (RPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the RPN parameter. MIDI CC
102 – 119 Undefined MIDI CC 120 to 127 are “Channel Mode Messages.” MIDI CC
120 All Sound Off Mutes all sounding notes. It does so regardless of release time or sustain. (See MIDI CC 123) MIDI CC
121 Reset All Controllers It will reset all controllers to their default. MIDI CC
122 Local On/Off Switch Turns internal connection of a MIDI keyboard/workstation, etc. On or Off. If you use a computer, you will most likely want local control off to avoid notes being played twice. Once locally and twice whent the note is sent back from the computer to your keyboard. MIDI CC
123 All Notes Off Mutes all sounding notes. Release time will still be maintained, and notes held by sustain will not turn off until sustain pedal is depressed. MIDI CC
124 Omni Mode Off Sets to “Omni Off” mode. MIDI CC
125 Omni Mode On Sets to “Omni On” mode. MIDI CC
126 Mono Mode Sets device mode to Monophonic. MIDI CC
127 Poly Mode Sets device mode to Polyphonic.

stinkfoot

MIDI was originally conceived to control keyboards, so most of it is related to that, as you can see from the general charts. For effects, you'll mainly be dealing with two types of MIDI commands:

Program change commands are sent from the transmitting device (MIDI Out) simply tell the receiving devices (MIDI In) which program/patch to switch to. If you select patch 01, that will be active until you select another patch. There's no turning on/off as you'd do with stompboxes. Most MIDI devices will simply follow the program change commands (hitting 05 on the controller causes them to call up program/patch 05), while some - like the H9 - can do mapping (where you can select which patch in the receiving device should be called up when program change command 05 is received).

Continuous controller commands are used to manipulate parameters within a specific patch. They are again sent by the transmitting device, and received (and interpreted) by the receiving device. For instance, one CC command might be interpreted by the H9 as "toggle bypass", so every time it receives that command, it will switch between bypass/active. A CC command can also be assigned a value (0-127) so it can set the value of a specific parameter. This is how expression controllers are used, for instance to change the delay mix in real time.

MIDI commands are global to the MIDI channel they're transmitted on. If you want to link more receiving units, add another MIDI cable from MIDI Out on the first receiving device to MIDI In on the second.

The Ground Control Pro has presets too, so you can set each patch up with whatever program change command you want (rather than do the mapping in the H9), and set which CC number the expression pedals should handle (depending on what you want them to do in that preset). But you can't get 100% stompbox functionality - activating a preset causes the effects to switch to the patches you've assigned, and activating another overrides the previous preset. If you want an "all off" option, you'll need to make a preset for that.

XXTwighlight

Well I broke a bit of ground in that I kept overlooking the "Edit" switch on the Ground Control.
I kept thinking I had to hold down the 2 "Setup" switches in order to edit.
So far, so good now.
Thanx

Trending Topics

Top Bottom